Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 223691 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1065 on: July 12, 2013, 10:55:52 PM »
I think that there needs to be a moratorium on "The Chosen One" or "The One" for about a decade.

Sure, you can have a hero who has any number of heroic traits. But let's skip the blahblahblah about how he was prophecied to appear in the darkest hour, etc., OK? He just showed up without warning - is that not dramatic enough?

I will give an exception to the "Tales of Symphonia" game, where there actually is a valid, plot-driven reason, why two cultures designate unfortunate individuals as competing "Chosen Ones". But if the prophecy could just as easily be dispensed with, dispense with it.

But, but, without a prophecy, the author wouldn't have an excuse to write bad poetry! ;)

Exactly! Usually those riddles or prophecies turn out to be rather lame. I've never understood why, if the prophet was supposedly on your side and trying to help, s/he would speak in riddles anyway. Why not just say, "Dude, it's you, but if you don't learn how to defend yourself, a lot of good people are going to die looking after you before you can do your mystical thing. So start training already."

And, in the things I've read anyway, there's sometimes forced ambiguity about who the Chosen One is, maybe even specific other people that it could be... Except you're 99% sure it's the main character, and in the end, it is. I don't think it's a spoiler by this point to say that Harry Potter was indeed the Chosen One, for example, but I thought it would have been awesome if, at the very end, it turned out to be another character, who fit all the criteria of the prophecy, surprising the heck out of everyone. Which would certainly not have negated Harry's contributions to that world at all, I don't think. I saw something similar in another popular tween book series that I just finished reading--kept hoping maybe it would turn out the main character wasn't the Chosen One after all, and then he was.

I think what I like about Harry Potter was that he or Neville really could have been the Chosen One, but it was Voldemort's choice really that caused it to be Harry.  And it wasn't like Harry was really any smarter than the other kids at Hogwarts.  Good at flying and sports sure, but as Ron says the two of them wouldn't last very long without Hermione.  Nor was he really described to be the most attractive kid, either. 

It was nice to have a "chosen one" who wasn't perfect at everything.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #1066 on: July 13, 2013, 02:53:26 AM »
<snip>
Guys, you may have talked me into this.

PLEASE let me know what you think. I'd love to hear the groans and moans.

Wow, just wow. Normally I have a glass of wine with my evening book but just the first chapter alone killed so many brain cells, I didn't want to impair my judgment further. My summary of the book:

Toll booth collector meets man in sketchy bathroom at a Medieval Times dinner theater, immediately goes into the stall with him and is magically transported to another century. Cool, let's play scrabble in a really improbable way! Oh no, she's stuck in the middle ages and has to be his harlot! Thank goodness she studied medieval stuff at fancy school. Oh well, as long as she has to have scrabble with bad dude, she's going to be the best. Let's use that convenient camping knowledge to build a torture rack in her bedroom. Bad dude turns out to love being submissive and assigns her a personal bodyguard to protect her. Even though she's not supposed to play scrabble with bodyguards, she immediately has very improbable scrabble with Darcy-like guard and they declare their undying love for each other.

Blah blah blah. She is so good at scrabble she becomes immortal and can travel through time. She challenges bad dude to a completely-not-racist-and-inoffensive yo mama contest in Trenton, NJ and they tie. Bad guy then jousts with his henchman/mortal enemy at Medieval Times place and instantly loses, so he dies. To celebrate, she and Mr. Darcy play scrabble in the back of her Geo Metro in a parking lot.

I love yo momma jokes. I am so tempted to get this book just for that part, but considering the bookshelf of books I want to read that I haven't gotten to yet I think I will pass.

I'm tempted too, but $5 for something that sounds that trashy? Nah.... Had it been one of Amazon's free or 99c books on the other hand...  ;)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

whatsanenigma

« Reply #1067 on: July 13, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »
<snip>
Guys, you may have talked me into this.

PLEASE let me know what you think. I'd love to hear the groans and moans.

Wow, just wow. Normally I have a glass of wine with my evening book but just the first chapter alone killed so many brain cells, I didn't want to impair my judgment further. My summary of the book:

Toll booth collector meets man in sketchy bathroom at a Medieval Times dinner theater, immediately goes into the stall with him and is magically transported to another century. Cool, let's play scrabble in a really improbable way! Oh no, she's stuck in the middle ages and has to be his harlot! Thank goodness she studied medieval stuff at fancy school. Oh well, as long as she has to have scrabble with bad dude, she's going to be the best. Let's use that convenient camping knowledge to build a torture rack in her bedroom. Bad dude turns out to love being submissive and assigns her a personal bodyguard to protect her. Even though she's not supposed to play scrabble with bodyguards, she immediately has very improbable scrabble with Darcy-like guard and they declare their undying love for each other.

Blah blah blah. She is so good at scrabble she becomes immortal and can travel through time. She challenges bad dude to a completely-not-racist-and-inoffensive yo mama contest in Trenton, NJ and they tie. Bad guy then jousts with his henchman/mortal enemy at Medieval Times place and instantly loses, so he dies. To celebrate, she and Mr. Darcy play scrabble in the back of her Geo Metro in a parking lot.

That sounds like bad fanfiction!  I might just have to read this myself.  For the lulz, of course.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #1068 on: July 13, 2013, 11:45:46 PM »
Un Lun Dun by China Miéville is the perfect example of the chosen one not being the chosen one; and it's a really good book besides.   
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #1069 on: July 14, 2013, 05:57:47 AM »
Well in the Malloreon books the Voice that talks to Garion explains that there are specific reasons why things are written cryptically. Among other reasons,  the Voice and its counterpart don't want everyone who can reading finding and reading everything and mucking everything up.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1070 on: July 15, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »
Un Lun Dun by China Miéville is the perfect example of the chosen one not being the chosen one; and it's a really good book besides.

That's good to know. I've been interested in reading some of his books for a while now.
~Lynn2000

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #1071 on: July 16, 2013, 12:40:14 AM »

That's good to know. I've been interested in reading some of his books for a while now.

That is the only one I've read so I can't vouch for the others.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #1072 on: July 16, 2013, 09:36:17 AM »

I keep hearing how great his books are, but I'm afraid to pick up another one since I gave up on Embassytown after 60 pages because I had NO FLIPPING IDEA what was going on.

clio917

« Reply #1073 on: July 16, 2013, 01:55:13 PM »

I keep hearing how great his books are, but I'm afraid to pick up another one since I gave up on Embassytown after 60 pages because I had NO FLIPPING IDEA what was going on.
Embassytown doesn't really get to the point until about 50 pages to the end. I recommend Peridido Street Station is you want to give China Mieville a try again. Be warned that he self-identifies his genre as "weird fiction" and lives up to the description...

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #1074 on: July 16, 2013, 06:33:51 PM »
She is so good at scrabble she becomes immortal and can travel through time.

So, being a dominatrix turns you into a TARDIS?  Who knew?

I DO beg your pardon?!

;D

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I don’t like the color..."

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1075 on: July 17, 2013, 12:46:28 AM »
She is so good at scrabble she becomes immortal and can travel through time.

So, being a dominatrix turns you into a TARDIS?  Who knew?

I DO beg your pardon?!

;D

LOL!  ;D For the book in question, it's really worth reading... the reviews on Amazon. ;) I too was tempted to get it but didn't want to spend the amount they were charging. If I want to read something bad, I can find plenty of that for free among fanfic! And if I want to read something good I can find a lot of that for free as well among fanfic, though I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Some fanfic is just so amazing--one of my reading pet peeves is people who put fanfic on the whole down without knowing much about it.  >:( I mean, graphic novels aren't really my thing, but I know that many are highly regarded and that a lot of people just flat-out enjoy them, and I don't begrude them that.
~Lynn2000

Reika

« Reply #1076 on: July 17, 2013, 07:18:48 AM »
Embassytown doesn't really get to the point until about 50 pages to the end. I recommend Peridido Street Station is you want to give China Mieville a try again. Be warned that he self-identifies his genre as "weird fiction" and lives up to the description...

I read Perdido Street Station and was bored out of my mind. To me it seemed like he was trying to go for weird for the sake of weird and not for the sake of a good story. But then again I fail to understand why Neal Stephenson is a popular author, so it's probably me. :)

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #1077 on: July 17, 2013, 08:43:44 AM »

I read Perdido Street Station and was bored out of my mind. To me it seemed like he was trying to go for weird for the sake of weird and not for the sake of a good story. But then again I fail to understand why Neal Stephenson is a popular author, so it's probably me. :)

Embassytown was weird for the sake of weird, as well. I actually really like weird as long as there is some sort of coherent story that I can at least sort of follow. I've read every day for fun since I knew how, so I'm not a casual reader or someone who doesn't like to think or be challenged, but come on.

Reika

« Reply #1078 on: July 17, 2013, 06:25:36 PM »
Embassytown was weird for the sake of weird, as well. I actually really like weird as long as there is some sort of coherent story that I can at least sort of follow. I've read every day for fun since I knew how, so I'm not a casual reader or someone who doesn't like to think or be challenged, but come on.

Same here. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about Mieville's writing. The friends that recommended his stuff to me were acting like there was something wrong with me. So I'm glad there's at least one kindred spirit out there! :)

I freely admit that when I write my own stuff, I do like to put in some weird stuff, but I aim for Stephen King level of weird.

Ereine

« Reply #1079 on: July 17, 2013, 11:46:17 PM »

Same here. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about Mieville's writing. The friends that recommended his stuff to me were acting like there was something wrong with me. So I'm glad there's at least one kindred spirit out there! :)

I freely admit that when I write my own stuff, I do like to put in some weird stuff, but I aim for Stephen King level of weird.

I tried to read something by Mieville but gave up. I've found out that while I can appreciate good language, I don't really get enjoyment out of it and require a straight story. I used to feel guilty about it because there seems to be some failing in me but I mostly read for entertainment, not for art. The fantasy fandom here seems to be all about "New Weird", the sort of fantasy I enjoy (with adventure and romance) doesn't get much respect.