Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 256376 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1095 on: July 30, 2013, 02:26:04 PM »
All generalizations are false.

I have to love pseudomenon and Gödel.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #1096 on: July 30, 2013, 03:31:15 PM »

Have you read Ghost Story? DH says its full of self-hating navel gazing.

That's an excellent summation. Ghost Story was the only one in that series that I can't bring myself to re-read.  Cold days at least made up for it.

It was sooooo much different than the others!  I'm glad he didn't keep going that route with Cold Days because for the first time ever, I may have put a series down unfinished.

And that's exactly why I quit reading the series.  Butcher admits he likes torturing Harry, and I think his betas encourage it.  Fifteen more books of this?  No thanks.  Just gave mine to Goodwill.

Gah! Thanks for the warning. I've tried to get into the series twice, but just can't get past Harry's string of bad decisions and bad luck. Knowing this will only get worse is all the 'encouragement' I need to give it up for good.

Yeah, I know two of the betas and follow them on Twitter, and seeing them gleeful over more Harry angst/drama/torture was enough for me.  I know the books are a snapshot, but come on....something HAS to go right for the guy every once in a while.

cwm

« Reply #1097 on: July 30, 2013, 04:04:40 PM »
I know the books are a snapshot, but come on....something HAS to go right for the guy every once in a while.

This is the biggest problem I have with most series. I don't mind angsty bad things happening, but give them a break SOMETIMES. I mean, even in Supernatural, Sam and Dean catch an odd break here and there.

Curious Cat

« Reply #1098 on: July 30, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »
I know the books are a snapshot, but come on....something HAS to go right for the guy every once in a while.

This is the biggest problem I have with most series. I don't mind angsty bad things happening, but give them a break SOMETIMES. I mean, even in Supernatural, Sam and Dean catch an odd break here and there.

Till the wishes go bad, then they go REALLY bad.

goldilocks

« Reply #1099 on: July 30, 2013, 06:24:35 PM »
I've just read the first 2 and I'm enjoying them.  However, I have noticed that he blames himself for everything.

This girl is asking him questions about rings, claiming she's just doing research.  He refuses to tell her because of the danger, and it turns out she was trying to trap a werewolf and got killed.  He blamed himself - saying that if he had given her the information she wanted, she'd still be alive.  I was thinking - maybe if she had been honest with him, he could have helped and still be alive!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1100 on: July 30, 2013, 06:31:15 PM »
There's also what happened to Susan...

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1101 on: July 30, 2013, 06:45:46 PM »
There's also what happened to Susan...

And other characters I won't mention...

Reika

« Reply #1102 on: July 30, 2013, 07:02:10 PM »
I am still quite early in the series (Summer Knight) and I have already noticed that tendency as well as the tendency to take blame for everything that happens to everyone.

He is kind of like that, I agree, but I still think they're really good books.  If you're looking for a similar kind of story without all of the "Oh, no, I had to kill someone and I feel horrible even though I totally had to kill him or risk the world!" look to Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series.

I read the Iron Druid series, but I quite after book 4, I think it was. For someone supposedly as old as the druid is, he acts more like a brainless 21 year old.

As for Dresden...well I have the tendency to blame myself for everything too, so that might be why I like that series.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #1103 on: July 30, 2013, 07:53:41 PM »
I am still quite early in the series (Summer Knight) and I have already noticed that tendency as well as the tendency to take blame for everything that happens to everyone.

He is kind of like that, I agree, but I still think they're really good books.  If you're looking for a similar kind of story without all of the "Oh, no, I had to kill someone and I feel horrible even though I totally had to kill him or risk the world!" look to Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series.

I read the Iron Druid series, but I quite after book 4, I think it was. For someone supposedly as old as the druid is, he acts more like a brainless 21 year old.

As for Dresden...well I have the tendency to blame myself for everything too, so that might be why I like that series.

I think it makes sense that he does.  The difference between him and a 21 year old is that he's earned the right to be arrogant.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Reika

« Reply #1104 on: July 30, 2013, 08:03:15 PM »

I think it makes sense that he does.  The difference between him and a 21 year old is that he's earned the right to be arrogant.

It's not wholly the arrogance, it's the fact that he doesn't seem to think anything through before doing it.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #1105 on: July 30, 2013, 09:16:27 PM »
To quote a different set of writing advice: "Break any of these rules sooner than write something barbarous."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1106 on: July 31, 2013, 12:56:05 PM »
To quote a different set of writing advice: "Break any of these rules sooner than write something barbarous."

Or dull.

The rules given above, however, are mainly aimed at what is really bad, amateurish writing, such as overuse of clichés, wild generalizations, etc. A good writer can pull off tricks like turning a cliché on its head, but even the best of them have to go back and realize that a sentence like "'Be back before bedtime!' Bob barked,'" needs to be rewritten, and that all of us have our own little box of clichés that we need to keep closed most of the time.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1107 on: July 31, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »
The difference, I think, is that using cliches, generalizations, etc, automatically, without thought, generally leads to bad writing. Deliberately breaking the rules for an effect is completely different.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1108 on: July 31, 2013, 06:54:02 PM »
The difference, I think, is that using cliches, generalizations, etc, automatically, without thought, generally leads to bad writing. Deliberately breaking the rules for an effect is completely different.

Yes. My English teacher always said, "You have to know the rules before you can break them."

Cherry91

« Reply #1109 on: August 02, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »
The thing I hate the most is when an author abruptly ruins characterisation to force the plot along.

Eg, in an awful lot of novels, the romance subplot will be a love triangle, or even a shape with more sides like that. Character A is admired by characters B and C, and the author makes both would be paramours attractive and likeable to justify A's struggle to choose.

Then A decides she likes B more, and so C becomes a total jerk to justify A choosing B.

This seems to especially be the case where the fans' favourite and the triumphant suitor aren't the same person...