Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 197665 times)

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1185 on: August 21, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
Catherine Called Birdy, possibly?

I always liked that book for how accurate it was, while still being interesting. Especially the parts where they talked about things like having to share a bed and people having fleas and such.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Goosey

« Reply #1186 on: August 21, 2013, 04:06:32 PM »
YES that was it.

Thank you, that was going to bother me all day!

Jocelyn

« Reply #1187 on: August 21, 2013, 09:25:43 PM »
IIRC, Birdy escaped that marriage, because the old gent died- and was reconciled to her marriage because she heard that the new bridegroom loved books, and she concluded that perhaps that was enough to build a decent marriage upon.
Or am I thinking of something else?

Library Dragon

« Reply #1188 on: August 21, 2013, 10:11:11 PM »
You're remembering correctly. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Lynn2000

« Reply #1189 on: August 22, 2013, 10:35:11 AM »
I loved "Catherine, Called Birdy" too. I think it's a great example of a YA historical heroine who's feisty, but not unrealistically so. You get the feeling she's pushing the social boundaries as far as she can, but the boundaries are there--she's not inventing good hygiene and freeing the slaves and refusing to marry except for love, while everyone else stands around going, "Huh. Why didn't we think of that?"
~Lynn2000

Goosey

« Reply #1190 on: August 22, 2013, 10:38:48 AM »
IIRC, Birdy escaped that marriage, because the old gent died- and was reconciled to her marriage because she heard that the new bridegroom loved books, and she concluded that perhaps that was enough to build a decent marriage upon.

Huh - all I remember at the end is that she decides to go through with the marriage. I don't recall that he died and she escaped the marriage. Weird!

cwm

« Reply #1191 on: August 22, 2013, 11:51:44 AM »
Okay, maybe all y'all literary types can help me out. There's this novel I read within the past few years, and I can remember enough about it to know that it's a historical type novel that's not to horribly inaccurate.

This family gets dropped off in Canada on an island, they're going to be working on the island fishing and such. And there's another family there already. They have to get by with not enough food for anyone, the fishing boat only comes back once in a while. There's natives there, and in the end some of the people end up moving to a nearby city. I think one of the characters is a priest?

Yeah, I've really got nothing else, and I can't figure out who else to ask at this point. I can't get to a library for at least another week or so and it's bothering me now.

nuit93

« Reply #1192 on: August 22, 2013, 11:58:29 AM »

Huh - all I remember at the end is that she decides to go through with the marriage. I don't recall that he died and she escaped the marriage. Weird!

IIRC, he died and she ended up being married off to his son, who was much closer to her age and who she felt she had more in common with.

Goosey

« Reply #1193 on: August 22, 2013, 11:59:06 AM »

IIRC, he died and she ended up being married off to his son, who was much closer to her age and who she felt she had more in common with.

Well, that's happier, at least!

Betelnut

« Reply #1194 on: August 22, 2013, 01:41:38 PM »
Book club peeve:  The book club I belong to is coming up on our 1st year anniversary.  So far, so good.  Interesting meetings, etc.  One of the members--who comes to every meeting and has been a member since the beginning--has only read the book in its entirety, once. 

I get that we are all busy, have lives, etc. but come on!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1195 on: August 22, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »
Okay, maybe all y'all literary types can help me out. There's this novel I read within the past few years, and I can remember enough about it to know that it's a historical type novel that's not to horribly inaccurate.

This family gets dropped off in Canada on an island, they're going to be working on the island fishing and such. And there's another family there already. They have to get by with not enough food for anyone, the fishing boat only comes back once in a while. There's natives there, and in the end some of the people end up moving to a nearby city. I think one of the characters is a priest?

Yeah, I've really got nothing else, and I can't figure out who else to ask at this point. I can't get to a library for at least another week or so and it's bothering me now.
Do you remember any of the character's names?  I found a book that had been bugging me when a very distinctive character name emerged from the recesses of my brain, and was able to google it.  (snerk!  the spell-check says that verb should be "go ogle!" :D)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

cwm

« Reply #1196 on: August 22, 2013, 04:50:41 PM »

Do you remember any of the character's names?  I found a book that had been bugging me when a very distinctive character name emerged from the recesses of my brain, and was able to google it.  (snerk!  the spell-check says that verb should be "go ogle!" :D)

Go ogle...well, technically it's not wrong with today's doodle.

I don't remember any of their names. I remember there was one girl who they thought was going to marry one guy, but she ended up having a tryst with a native, and her father went ballistic, but she had the native's child, I think.

This is going to bother me for a while now. I'm going to have to go look through my Amazon buy history sometime this weekend. I would check my phone, but the Kindle app has died and I'm struggling to keep up with all the reading I do.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #1197 on: August 23, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »
Just finished what sounded like a light romantic romp:  Heroine's boyfriend is keeping her at arm's length all of a sudden and they have a big fight when he insults her job acumen...to cheer herself up she agrees to be her best friend's plus one at friend's cousin's wedding....and guess who the groom is?

This set up was just rife for chuckles and laughs and fun.

Instead it was a badly written "fat girl gets self esteem by losing weight, getting a new job, but mostly  through lots of s3x with other men and continues having lots of it with the ex even after she finds her one true love" mess. 

No laughs, no real joy in the overcoming, and so badly written to boot.  My other peeves:

1)  Characters had complete conversations with all the banalities thrown in ("How are you?"  "I'm fine.  How are you?" "Oh, you know, same old same old") that did nothing to advance the plot.

2) The plot served more as an excuse for the heroine to have even worse narrated "50 Shades" adventures with two or three men, which meant detailed descriptions of anatomical niceties and oddities.  But--

3) Said adventures, instead of being interesting or titillating or even fodder to be parodied, were all exactly the same.  If I'd had a dime for each guy who lightly circled the same portion of her anatomy with his pinkie finger I could have bought a hard cover novel edition of a better book.

4) My BIGGEST peeve:  describing characters by comparing them to celebrities. 
Dear Author:  I do not know who Kelly Rowland is and while I could google her, I didn't have my internet with me when I was reading your book.  Telling me the heroine's rival looks like "a slightly taller Kelly Rowland with caramel skin" didn't help me.  Nor can I imagine the best friend's romantic interest who "looks exactly like Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt and Pierce Brosnan rolled together."  He sounds scary.  Either give me a better description of the character or don't do anything to describe them at all. 

5) Oh--another thing--your male lead is a Wall Street investment banking Vice President.  It still isn't going to make him an expert on wedding gowns, so having him describe the exquisite use of Swarovski crystal on the bodice (do men even know what a bodice is?  Wouldn't he say "the top of her gown"?) of a wedding gown really just made him even less of a real character for me and made him someone who was the mouthpiece for the author's love of rich looking gowns.

For that matter, I don't need to hear about every Hermes bag the heroine looks at, her shoe manufacturer or the cut of each dress she puts on and rejects.  A little branding for detail, sure, but every piece of clothing????

6) If you want me to feel sympathy for your "fat" heroine, maybe you could a) stop having her whine about being fat and DO something about her fat OR b) own her fat.  Don't have her magically just lose weight by doing nothing and have other characters tell us about it later on.
Also, if you want me to be on her side, maybe she shouldn't be cheating left right and center on the wonderful man (who we barely hear about) with whom she has fallen in love.

Also she loses points for doing to her ex exactly what he did to her at the beginning of the novel, making her happy wedding day seem more about revenge than love.

7) This is just a note in passing:  did you lift ALL your dialogue from the infamous ehell Titanic Bride tale?  Because the evil bride could have been Jennifer.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1198 on: August 23, 2013, 11:48:25 AM »
I'll admit, I always think more of an author when she can have a plus-sized heroine and just . . . not make a big deal of it.  No big angst over dress sizes, no agony that the hero couldn't possibly find her pretty, no obsessing by the hero about how he happens to be one of the tiny minority of guys who find curvy girls attractive, just an acknowledgement that she's bigger than the norm and maybe gets some flak over it from minor characters but then that's it.  I'm pretty thoroughly average-sized myself (bigger than I'd like but not unhealthily so) and I really like reading about heroines who can be happy in their own bodies without the body having to be perfect.

Goosey

« Reply #1199 on: August 23, 2013, 11:52:30 AM »
That's one of the many, many things that bothered me when I wrote a review of 50 Shades. The main female character was so down on her plain looks and how her BFF was like a MODEL and couldn't she be as pretty and shapely as BFF... but wait, I can borrow all of her dresses and shoes and look like a knockout!