Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 220720 times)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1395 on: September 15, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »
Wickham turned white, because the sudden appearance of Darcy frightened him, and Darcy flushed in anger at seeing him. At least, that's how I always read it.

Same for me.
I thought about it a minute, and this has to be it, since it's not really likely that Wickham would blush with shame. Although I have seen people   holding their lips so tightly that they went white, when trying to keep from saying anything when they were furious.

It may have to do with the four humors, which were still the most popular way at the time of displaying personality and making diagnoses. For someone to flush would indicate a choleric temperament, someone who is passionate and possibly quick to anger. Going pale might be more phlegmatic, kind and quiet, or possibly lazy.

Okay, I pulled out my copy of "The Annotated Pride and Prejudice," and this is what it says about the exchange:

Who turned which color is impossible to determine. The best guess is that Wickham turned red and Darcy white, for the former turns out to have reason to be embarrassed and the latter reason to be angry; Darcy is described as becoming pale with anger in a later scene with Elizabeth.

Because of the bolded, I would be willing to change my answer. (Though Wickham still doesn't seem like the type to blush to me). But in the end, I don't think it matters.  :) The point is they both have very visceral reactions to seeing each other.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:18:12 PM by Two Ravens »

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1396 on: September 15, 2013, 10:45:57 PM »
Rita Mae Brown and her Mrs. Murphy/Tucker books.  They started out okay, and then the last one I read was largely a diatribe on ecology with very few scenes featuring the animals.  (And the TV movie made of "Murder, She Purred" had a man doing the voice of Tucker, and in the books Tucker is female.  But at least the movie had the right breed of dog - Tucker is a Welsh Corgi.) 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1397 on: September 16, 2013, 09:45:21 AM »
I burn out on series after a while. The authors start losing steam and it feels like they're writing the same book over and over. Mrs. Murphy is a good example. David Weber's Honor Harrington series jumped the shark a few books back as well.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #1398 on: September 16, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »
I don't like her Mrs Murphy books, but I love love love her Sister Jane (foxhunting) books!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1399 on: September 16, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »
I loved the first few, but it's heading toward the same place as Mrs. Murphy.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1400 on: September 16, 2013, 02:31:11 PM »
Okay, I pulled out my copy of "The Annotated Pride and Prejudice," and this is what it says about the exchange:

Who turned which color is impossible to determine. The best guess is that Wickham turned red and Darcy white, for the former turns out to have reason to be embarrassed and the latter reason to be angry; Darcy is described as becoming pale with anger in a later scene with Elizabeth.

Because of the bolded, I would be willing to change my answer. (Though Wickham still doesn't seem like the type to blush to me). But in the end, I don't think it matters.  :) The point is they both have very visceral reactions to seeing each other.

I recall reading some anthropological book once that went into this (can't remember the title). The author posited that flushing was an alarm response for "minor alarms"; if it was replaced by going pale, it was for serious emotional disturbance. All had to do with directing blood flow where it was needed for flight/fight responses.

So, I think Austen may have been indicating "Wickham thought 'oh, this is awkward." Darcy thought, 'oh, this is horrible!'"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1401 on: September 16, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »
I burn out on series after a while. The authors start losing steam and it feels like they're writing the same book over and over. Mrs. Murphy is a good example. David Weber's Honor Harrington series jumped the shark a few books back as well.

I know I felt that way about the Stephanie Plum series. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Ereine

« Reply #1402 on: September 16, 2013, 11:26:23 PM »
I only like series that have a planned end if they're all about the same characters or open-ended series that feature different main characters. The series I've enjoyed seem more organic, like Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie books, they don't feel like seasons of some tv drama with obligatory plot twists (though Jackson Brodie books were made into a nice tv series with Jason Isaacs) and titles that tell you that there will probably be twenty more books, don't believe that this boyfriend is the heroine's true love. My dislike of series is one reason I read little fantasy and mystery these days, at least with romance series are usually standalone books set in the same world.

Cherry91

« Reply #1403 on: September 17, 2013, 10:14:34 AM »
I only like series that have a planned end if they're all about the same characters  titles that tell you that there will probably be twenty more books, don't believe that this boyfriend is the heroine's true love.

I wouldn't mind this quite so much if so many series didn't feel the need for every book to have a "happy" ending, so the heroine gets together with her current squeeze/ex/guy who smiled at her in the line at the supermarket and all is well... until the next book starts at least. Unless the books have a habit of large time skips (which some series do well), it makes the heroine seem rather flighty.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1404 on: September 17, 2013, 11:05:16 AM »
I only like series that have a planned end if they're all about the same characters  titles that tell you that there will probably be twenty more books, don't believe that this boyfriend is the heroine's true love.

I wouldn't mind this quite so much if so many series didn't feel the need for every book to have a "happy" ending, so the heroine gets together with her current squeeze/ex/guy who smiled at her in the line at the supermarket and all is well... until the next book starts at least. Unless the books have a habit of large time skips (which some series do well), it makes the heroine seem rather flighty.

Or hero. A lot of male protagonists suffer from this as well.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #1405 on: September 17, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »

Or hero. A lot of male protagonists suffer from this as well.

Tamara Myer wrote a funny series about a Mennonite woman who solved crimes at her B&B.  Her sister had left the community but was around more now than when she actually belonged...and of course she wore mini skirts and lots of makeup.  Our Heroine was in love with a member of her community.  They even got married.  Until, of course, she discovered that he was married to someone else (or cheating or something) and got divorced.  Then she took up with the local doctor.  And in between, there were always these very attractive men who kept showing up and...well, I didn't want her to stick with the unfaithful husband, but it would have been nice if there was someone with whom she COULD stick.

Count me as another one who is tired of Stephanie Plum's constant back and forth between Joe and Ranger.  Also, it may just be me, but the later books seem to be thin rehashes of earlier plots--which were meatier and more serious (while still being funny).

Hamish MacBeth continues to carry the torch for Priscilla, but flirts with every female that comes thru
Loch Duhb  (am I the only person who hears it as "Locked Up"?).  After a while, instead of being suspenseful, it becomes annoying. 

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #1406 on: September 17, 2013, 12:07:46 PM »
Hamish MacBeth continues to carry the torch for Priscilla, but flirts with every female that comes thru
Loch Duhb  (am I the only person who hears it as "Locked Up"?).  After a while, instead of being suspenseful, it becomes annoying.

I've been reading those books recently, and that's exactly what I thought of when the topic came up!  And it's often quite a bit more than flirting, too.  (I saw the TV show before I read the books, so I always hear "Lock Doo" in my head.  But it often makes me think of bansidhe's cat, Dubh.  :))
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1407 on: September 17, 2013, 01:15:56 PM »
I am kinda sick of love triangles, honestly. If it's the point of the book, like a romance novel, I'm actually more okay with it; but I feel like a lot of times, authors throw in a poorly-thought-out love triangle as a sideshow to the main plot, which is a mystery or sci-fi or something. It almost feels like a sop to a segment of readers they think won't continue reading without romantic entanglements and cliffhangers. I really don't like that kind of tension and I think it often makes the "pivot" of the triangle look bad, indecisive or clueless or something.

Probably this is inspired by reading a fall TV preview, where it seemed like every third TV show was promising a love triangle this season, no matter what genre the show was. ::) I feel like shows/books/movies want to generate buzz by getting some passionate fans to be all Team Edward vs. Team Jacob, and sometimes that happens at the expense of other aspects of the story.
~Lynn2000

Allyson

« Reply #1408 on: September 17, 2013, 02:12:18 PM »
The "pining over the same person for years" is a plot that is just done way too often, to my mind. Same with the "they argue all the time, which means they will end up getting together." These are staples in books (and tv/movies as well) but rarely reflect reality.

Outside of high school I don't know anyone who pined after the same person for years to the detriment of other relationships (sure, finding someone attractive and having a feeling of 'too bad that never happened') but most of the time, if someone's in love with someone for years, they either say something or there's a really clear reason why it won't happen.

I think that it would be really difficult to start a relationship where one person has been in love for years, and the other person is just discovering that and treating it as a first date situation. Very unequal.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1409 on: September 17, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »
The "pining over the same person for years" is a plot that is just done way too often, to my mind. Same with the "they argue all the time, which means they will end up getting together." These are staples in books (and tv/movies as well) but rarely reflect reality.

Outside of high school I don't know anyone who pined after the same person for years to the detriment of other relationships (sure, finding someone attractive and having a feeling of 'too bad that never happened') but most of the time, if someone's in love with someone for years, they either say something or there's a really clear reason why it won't happen.

I think that it would be really difficult to start a relationship where one person has been in love for years, and the other person is just discovering that and treating it as a first date situation. Very unequal.

And to follow that up, I've never really understood the plot device of "been in love with you from afar for years." Maybe if the people are good friends and one secretly wants to be more than friends, okay. But if they've basically never even had a conversation, how can the one person really be "in love" with the other? They don't even know them. Find them attractive physically, sure. Find the things they do in public (because stalking and peeping are really not romantic) admirable, sure. That's a good basis for asking someone to go on a date with you. To me, it's not a good basis for gazing moonily at them from the other side of the room for years, denying all other romantic attempts, and finally at some point declaring that you're "in love" with them. I'm sure, in the entire history of the world, it's happened before, and maybe it's even worked out sometimes, but it must happen 1000% more often in fiction, and with far less realism in the details.
~Lynn2000