Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 237632 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1425 on: September 27, 2013, 08:33:12 AM »

4.  Brant shouldered into the entry.

The entry shouldered him back and he gluteus maximused the floor.

*snerk*

cwm

« Reply #1426 on: September 27, 2013, 10:50:37 AM »
5.  Another blow he had to take as he shouldered into the room.

This one almost makes sense, if taken out of context. He's taking lots of blows from people, he's escaping them, and has to shoulder his way past all of his tormentors to get into the other room.

Yes? No? It's the best I've got.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #1427 on: September 27, 2013, 12:41:14 PM »

4.  Brant shouldered into the entry.

The entry shouldered him back and he gluteus maximused the floor.

*snerk*

Mrs. Deb, would you mind sharing the author with us or PMing me their name? I love books I can mock.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #1428 on: September 27, 2013, 06:52:32 PM »
PM sent!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1429 on: September 27, 2013, 07:21:47 PM »
They must all be perpetually bruised. My shoulders hurt just thinking about it!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1430 on: September 27, 2013, 07:59:06 PM »

1.  He didn't like how chilly Willa looked as he shouldered through the front door.  Thinking quickly, he footed past her and wristed the thermostat up three degrees.

"Thank you, " she mouthed,  "when I slithered into this painted-on dress this morning, I didn't realize I would be unable to move once it dried."

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1431 on: September 28, 2013, 08:05:07 AM »
^^^ *sporfle*
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #1432 on: September 28, 2013, 08:46:39 AM »
I'm crying with laughter over here.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #1433 on: October 03, 2013, 10:39:52 AM »
Okay, I've noticed something in books and movies and TV shows that's really starting to bother me.

Protagonist is the only person in the world with the ability to get the Super Special Item. Antagonist needs the Super Special Item to take over the world. The entire series is about protagonist going to get the Super Special Item before the timeframe set by the method of world domination by the antagonist. Bonus if the protagonist has a team of great people around him who protect him thoroughly while he retrieves Super Special Item.

Seriously. If I was told that I'm the only person who can get some sort of magical item, and someone else needs it by the end of the month to take over the world and they don't even know where it is, I'm not going to start some huge quest to get it. I'm staying exactly where I am, if not moving somewhere safter, and avoiding all involvement with magical item and antagonist. And if I've got a team that can protect me while we're on the road and exposed all the time, they can sure as heck protect me while we're hunkered down in a safe location. Wait until the timeframe has passed, then go deal with the antagonist once their plan for world domination is thwarted.

This made me laugh because I'm currently re-watching season 5 of Buffy :D

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1434 on: October 03, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »
I'm reading a book where a woman gets lost and found her way to a mysterious woman's home.  She use the homeowner's telephone to call her friend but it rang and rang without her friend picking up.  The next morning, her friend called back and before hanging up, the woman blurted out "Wait.  I left my cell phone behind and don't have your number!"  Huh? What?  So who the heck were you calling last night when the phone rang and rang?  Grrrrrrrrrrr.

I stopped reading the book, not because of mistakes like that, but that didn't help.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1435 on: October 04, 2013, 10:51:26 PM »
Okay this isn't a book pet peeve but more of a movie one.  The whole Matrix effect of leaning back in an awkward position as things go past in slow motion.  It's getting to be a cliche and to the point where even when that move is being spoofed I still roll my eyes.

The other day I watched the atrocity that is The Three Musketeers that came out two years ago and featured Orlando Bloom as the Duke of Buckingham.   They did that move as part of the prologue, with Milady Dewinter, in a big ol' gown being the one to pull it off.  My eyes hurt from rolling them so hard.

I tried to finish it but I just couldn't, I was too distracted by the sound of Alexandre Dumas spinning like a top in his grave. Mind you, the 90's version with Charlie Sheen, Chris O'Donnell, Oliver Platt and the guy from 24 (I'm blanking on his name) is still enjoyed and quoted in our family and wasn't terribly faithful or a great version but it was better than this!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #1436 on: October 04, 2013, 11:20:03 PM »
Kiefer Sutherland.

andi

« Reply #1437 on: October 04, 2013, 11:23:07 PM »
Mind you, the 90's version with Charlie Sheen, Chris O'Donnell, Oliver Platt and the guy from 24 (I'm blanking on his name) is still enjoyed and quoted in our family and wasn't terribly faithful or a great version but it was better than this!

I love this version - its just cheesy enough. I own the video and can't wait to watch it with Boo

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1438 on: October 04, 2013, 11:29:28 PM »
Kiefer Sutherland.

Thank you!!

And
Mind you, the 90's version with Charlie Sheen, Chris O'Donnell, Oliver Platt and the guy from 24 (I'm blanking on his name) is still enjoyed and quoted in our family and wasn't terribly faithful or a great version but it was better than this!

I love this version - its just cheesy enough. I own the video and can't wait to watch it with Boo

Me too, and we probably should get it on DVD.  We could quote that movie till the cows come home! In fact, there's a part in the newer version where the cardinal's guards say "Will you come peacefully or do you intend to resist" and the first thing to pop to my mind is "Oh don't be so stupid, of course we intend to resist, just give us a moment, alright?"

Porthos has always been my favorite.  Though when that movie came out I had a pretty serious crush on Chris O'Donnell.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1439 on: October 04, 2013, 11:41:21 PM »

Me too, and we probably should get it on DVD.  We could quote that movie till the cows come home! In fact, there's a part in the newer version where the cardinal's guards say "Will you come peacefully or do you intend to resist" and the first thing to pop to my mind is "Oh don't be so stupid, of course we intend to resist, just give us a moment, alright?"

Porthos has always been my favorite.  Though when that movie came out I had a pretty serious crush on Chris O'Donnell.

It is a wonderfully quotable movie! "This sash was a gift from the Queen of America."