Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 255500 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1485 on: November 21, 2013, 03:56:09 PM »
Fortunately, it is a fox terrier. If it had been a beagle, then the answer was that it could not be left alone, ever, without destroying something.

cwm

« Reply #1486 on: November 21, 2013, 03:57:23 PM »
Fortunately, it is a fox terrier. If it had been a beagle, then the answer was that it could not be left alone, ever, without destroying something.

And this is why we need a "like" button.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1487 on: November 24, 2013, 03:41:52 AM »
 Romance novels. In which the heroine is aggravating, and to put her in her place, the hero spanks her.
And everyone just coos about what a masterful man he is, how he's obviously the right man for her because he can deal with her aggravating behavior.

Yes, girls, how can you tell if a man really loves you and is your Prince Charming? He hits you.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #1488 on: November 24, 2013, 05:38:36 AM »
Romance novels. In which the heroine is aggravating, and to put her in her place, the hero spanks her.
And everyone just coos about what a masterful man he is, how he's obviously the right man for her because he can deal with her aggravating behavior.

Yes, girls, how can you tell if a man really loves you and is your Prince Charming? He hits you.

Isn't this the plot to The Taming of the Shrew?

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1489 on: November 24, 2013, 06:09:29 AM »
Shakespeare was special, though; he can get away with things that ordinary mortals can't...

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1490 on: November 24, 2013, 06:53:38 AM »

Spanks her? as in like... takes her over his knee?

Louie_LI

« Reply #1491 on: November 24, 2013, 07:27:56 AM »

Except that it is Katherina who strikes Petruchio.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1492 on: November 24, 2013, 10:59:53 AM »

Been a while since I actually read the original, but I'm pretty sure he spanks her too.  I hate that play because Katherina's independence is treated as the personality flaw she has to overcome (and the changing is the goal for Petruchio to work toward), without any assumption that she has a right to show any %}*+# personality she pleases - she's a woman and therefore exists to be owned, body and soul, by a man.

PeterM

« Reply #1493 on: November 24, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »

There's at least one professor out there who thinks Kate was asking for it. Literally asking for it.

http://notalwayslearning.com/misogynist-versus-masochist/32448

Jocelyn

« Reply #1494 on: November 24, 2013, 05:16:40 PM »

Spanks her? as in like... takes her over his knee?
Yes. And her squirming is quite stimulating, he finds.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1495 on: November 24, 2013, 05:17:22 PM »

Yes, and it give me the icks, too.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #1496 on: November 25, 2013, 12:26:58 AM »

Been a while since I actually read the original, but I'm pretty sure he spanks her too.  I hate that play because Katherina's independence is treated as the personality flaw she has to overcome (and the changing is the goal for Petruchio to work toward), without any assumption that she has a right to show any %}*+# personality she pleases - she's a woman and therefore exists to be owned, body and soul, by a man.

Um, no. Katherine is pretty much a [redacted] to everyone and screams at her father and slaps her sister. Not that Bianca is a prize either, but Katherine cracked a lute over a guy's head. There's a difference between allowing independence and letting someone treat everyone around them abominably.

I think that Petruchio is pretty nasty himself in many ways, but it's not as if Katherine just wanted to live a life of singleness - she was jealous of her sister for attracting men because how dare men be attracted to a girl who attempts to show human decency and is a bit of a looker.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #1497 on: November 25, 2013, 12:50:17 AM »
Taming of the Shrew is just one of the reasons why I hate Shakespeare.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Mollie

« Reply #1498 on: November 25, 2013, 02:23:29 AM »
A fanfic one, Annie would not be using a cell phone or email to arrange a 20 year reunion of her adoption day. It sounded like a promising story, but then that happened and I felt like screaming, they didn't have that technology in the 50's

poundcake

« Reply #1499 on: November 25, 2013, 05:31:30 AM »

And she finds it so sexy and arousing.  ::)