Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 197262 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1500 on: November 25, 2013, 07:53:17 AM »
A fanfic one, Annie would not be using a cell phone or email to arrange a 20 year reunion of her adoption day. It sounded like a promising story, but then that happened and I felt like screaming, they didn't have that technology in the 50's

I'd be laughing my head off at that, but yes, it's a shame if the story was otherwise promising.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #1501 on: November 25, 2013, 09:34:05 AM »
To be fair to Shakespeare, it was written 500 years or so ago, unlike the romance novel written last year.  In Shakespeare's time, husbands were expected to beat (not hit) their misbehaving wives.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #1502 on: November 25, 2013, 09:49:14 AM »
To be fair to Shakespeare, it was written 500 years or so ago, unlike the romance novel written last year.  In Shakespeare's time, husbands were expected to beat (not hit) their misbehaving wives.

And the whole point of what Petruchio was doing (he didn't just hit her) was the equivalent of the scene in the Secret Garden when Colin is wailing his head off, and Mary says, "I CAN SCREAM LOUDER AND LONGER THAN YOU! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" He was trying to break her of being a really unpleasant person to be around by giving her several doses of her own medicine.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1503 on: November 25, 2013, 04:52:58 PM »
Current mild peeve: when the author doesn't know the difference between step-siblings and half-siblings.  I'm reading a book about two sets of stepsisters, and invariably the author calls them "half-sisters." 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Margo

« Reply #1504 on: November 26, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
is it an historical novel? Because until quite recently, lots of relationship terms were used much more interchangeably than they are today.

Otherwise, I can see why it would be annoying :-)

cwm

« Reply #1505 on: November 27, 2013, 10:56:03 AM »
Current mild peeve: when the author doesn't know the difference between step-siblings and half-siblings.  I'm reading a book about two sets of stepsisters, and invariably the author calls them "half-sisters."

Then you have my friend, whose half brother was also his stepbrother. He and bro shared a dad, dad lost custody of bro, bro got adopted by new stepfather, mom died, dad was in jail, stepdad married friend's mom. So his half brother by his dad became his stepbrother by his mom.

It really confused me when I heard him use the terms interchangably, until I heard the whole story.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1506 on: November 27, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »

Then you have my friend, whose half brother was also his stepbrother. He and bro shared a dad, dad lost custody of bro, bro got adopted by new stepfather, mom died, dad was in jail, stepdad married friend's mom. So his half brother by his dad became his stepbrother by his mom.

It really confused me when I heard him use the terms interchangably, until I heard the whole story.

A real-life "I'm my own grandpa"!
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1507 on: November 27, 2013, 12:50:51 PM »
Romance novels. In which the heroine is aggravating, and to put her in her place, the hero spanks her.
And everyone just coos about what a masterful man he is, how he's obviously the right man for her because he can deal with her aggravating behavior.

Yes, girls, how can you tell if a man really loves you and is your Prince Charming? He hits you.

That's a guaranteed toss-the-book for me. Especially because "aggravating" frequently translates to "doesn't do exactly what I want her to."

A fanfic one, Annie would not be using a cell phone or email to arrange a 20 year reunion of her adoption day. It sounded like a promising story, but then that happened and I felt like screaming, they didn't have that technology in the 50's.

That is the moment when I hit the back button.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1508 on: November 27, 2013, 01:03:48 PM »
Romance novels. In which the heroine is aggravating, and to put her in her place, the hero spanks her.
And everyone just coos about what a masterful man he is, how he's obviously the right man for her because he can deal with her aggravating behavior.

Yes, girls, how can you tell if a man really loves you and is your Prince Charming? He hits you.

That's a guaranteed toss-the-book for me. Especially because "aggravating" frequently translates to "doesn't do exactly what I want her to."

A fanfic one, Annie would not be using a cell phone or email to arrange a 20 year reunion of her adoption day. It sounded like a promising story, but then that happened and I felt like screaming, they didn't have that technology in the 50's.

what fandom are we talking about?

cwm

« Reply #1509 on: November 27, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »

what fandom are we talking about?

I'm guessing Little Orphan Annie.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1510 on: November 27, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »
Please let it not be Anne of Green Gables....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1511 on: November 27, 2013, 07:07:41 PM »
Little Orphan Annie. The movie is being remade (why, God, why???) so there's a resurgence of interest.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Mollie

« Reply #1512 on: November 27, 2013, 10:41:11 PM »
Yes, it is little orphan Annie. And they are remaking the movie again? This will be the third time, not counting that awful sequel set in London.

Betelnut

« Reply #1513 on: November 28, 2013, 09:41:30 AM »
Are they remaking the movie "Annie" (based on the stage musical) or simply using the original source (the cartoon) to create a new movie?  I don't consider using the source a "remake" unless the source is another movie.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

alkira6

« Reply #1514 on: December 11, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »
Fanfic that loses it part of the way through.  I was reading a really good Thor/Avengers fic - it was great, lots of plot twists, good fleshing out of characters, lovely PWP's thrown in for flavor, and the author either lost interest or gave up or something, because after 3 hours of reading I slam into "And Odin became cool, everyone is friends, they all lived HEA."

Whut?  So all of a sudden Odin is a great dad (yeah, no - a lifetime of lies, favoritism, and teaching your kid to hate his own species, and it's suddenly rainbows and kitties and unicorns farting strawberry glitter? Uh, no), Loki's head is no longer a bag of cats, his banished kids are fine and well adjusted, earth forgives him for invading a major city, and every should go home and have cake.