Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 243706 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1635 on: January 09, 2014, 10:57:39 PM »
I liked the promise of the first.  Finished the second.  Waited for the promised third & got really annoyed that it ended up being draggedout to four books...

Have never gotten past the third chapter of the fourth...it just needed so much editing.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #1636 on: January 10, 2014, 09:04:57 AM »
When the character at the end of the book just bears no resemblence to the character you so identified with at the beginning.  It is clear that the author changed their mind as they wrote the book and the character kind of grew and grew into this whole other person and you end up putting the book down thinking "She'd never have done that" before you realise it's fiction and then you notice the time and decide you need to actually sleep.  :-X

Not that that has happened to me recently much!

Yeah, Francine Pascal's e-series "Fearless".  I am currently on number 9 and really, really cannot see the same character at all and I won't be paying 1 to get the next one.  On the other hand, I need to because if I don't find out where this series is going and how it ends, I will be hanging on this rope of suspense forever and I can't, I just can't live without knowing what happens next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Editeer

« Reply #1637 on: January 10, 2014, 01:18:50 PM »
In detective stories: When someone is confronting a dangerous enemy, all they have to do is bop the bad guy on the head. Instantly he is knocked unconscious, and the hero has all the time in the world to make his escape. 

When the above trick is used as a plot device, over and over. In a jam? Hit someone on the head. Need to change the scene? Hit the hero on the head and have him wake up somewhere else. The detective Easy Rawlins gets hit on the head so many times per book that if he were real, he'd be a drooling vegetable from all the brain damage.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1638 on: January 10, 2014, 02:21:11 PM »
When the character at the end of the book just bears no resemblence to the character you so identified with at the beginning.  It is clear that the author changed their mind as they wrote the book and the character kind of grew and grew into this whole other person and you end up putting the book down thinking "She'd never have done that" before you realise it's fiction and then you notice the time and decide you need to actually sleep.  :-X

One reason I despise Mockingjay. It took everything I liked about the series -- primarily, Katniss's character -- and stomped it into dust. Blech.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1639 on: January 10, 2014, 02:23:33 PM »
Authors who start a series and then realize they have no idea how to actually end it so just kinda let it fizzle. I notice it with young adult books the most. They have a strong start and we think we are going someplace but then it becomes obvious that the author had no idea where they were going and ran out of ideas so just kinda slapped together an ending and called it good.

poundcake

« Reply #1640 on: January 10, 2014, 02:45:17 PM »
Wolfie, I'm guessing it might also be an editor or publisher who wanted a 2-book series made into 4 or 5, too. Either way, *fizzle*

My current peeve is when an author uses a specific phrase that should be a unique verbal tic or colloquialism, but every character throughout their books or a series ends up using it. Like, if someone say something like "I'm busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kickin' contest!" It might work for a certain character. But when something that characteristic gets said by someone in EVERY book, regardless of if it seems to fit their personalities or not, it's lazy.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1641 on: January 10, 2014, 05:48:01 PM »
From what I understand,the Eragon series started out self-published, and the author could really have used an editor...or an English teacher with a red pen. That series frustrates me as I could see he had potential as a writer, he just needed to fall out of love with his own work and stick it in a drawer for a few years.

Oh man, I know a guy who thought that Eragon was literary gold.  He also thought James Patterson's Witch and Wizard was one of the best books ever.  This guy had screenwriting aspirations, too.   ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

melicious

« Reply #1642 on: January 10, 2014, 06:38:55 PM »
Authors who start a series and then realize they have no idea how to actually end it so just kinda let it fizzle. I notice it with young adult books the most. They have a strong start and we think we are going someplace but then it becomes obvious that the author had no idea where they were going and ran out of ideas so just kinda slapped together an ending and called it good.

Or starting their series as a trilogy and then adding several more volumes, despite the fact that the story has clearly run its course.

daen

« Reply #1643 on: January 10, 2014, 07:35:21 PM »

Or starting their series as a trilogy and then adding several more volumes, despite the fact that the story has clearly run its course.

Or don't realize that the series has run out of interesting ideas and needs to end. I loved the first six or so of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. The only reason I've read 19 & 20 is because I thought she was moving towards wrapping it up at the end of 20.  No such luck.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #1644 on: January 11, 2014, 06:30:07 AM »

That's sadly how Fearless is going. Francine Pascal, I've lost much respect for you!!
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

jmarvellous

« Reply #1645 on: January 11, 2014, 11:18:09 AM »

That's sadly how Fearless is going. Francine Pascal, I've lost much respect for you!!

Don't worry.  If it's anything like Sweet Valley,  she's not doing most of the writing,  anyway.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #1646 on: January 11, 2014, 10:16:19 PM »

One reason I despise Mockingjay. It took everything I liked about the series -- primarily, Katniss's character -- and stomped it into dust. Blech.

I tore through the first two books in record time, but have been reading Mockingjay, in fits and starts, for almost a month now.  It just does not hold my interest like the other two, and I think you might have just helped me identify why that is.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Redsoil

« Reply #1647 on: January 12, 2014, 03:42:12 AM »
Speaking of Sweet Valley, I'm currently reading a YA series by Morgan Rice (The vampire ones).

Oh. My. Sweet. Giddy. Aunt.

So MANY things wrong with the books, but I keep reading nonetheless. All written in a very "breathless, gushing" style, overuse of superlatives, "historical" characters with modern names, speech and mannerisms.  Improbabilities lurk in every single chapter.  Suspension of disbelief is required on every level possible.  And yet, like an indigestible meal, I keep eating (reading).  Aaargh!

Has anyone else read her stuff?  Comments?
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

poundcake

« Reply #1648 on: January 25, 2014, 06:59:17 AM »
I am so very sick of heroines who the narrator and other characters insist are "smart, strong, resilient, and fascinating!" and yet nothing they actually do in the books are evidence of that. Quite the opposite, actually. Just saying "Ashley is a strong, tough, smart woman!" isn't nearly enough.

Mikayla

« Reply #1649 on: January 25, 2014, 01:20:45 PM »

Or don't realize that the series has run out of interesting ideas and needs to end. I loved the first six or so of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. The only reason I've read 19 & 20 is because I thought she was moving towards wrapping it up at the end of 20.  No such luck.

You lasted a little longer than I did.  My sister sent me about 10 she'd gone through and her only comment was she was curious about what I thought.  The first 3 had me laughing so hard it hurt.  But on 4, it started to go south and gave up somewhere in the middle of 5. 

For me, the same applies to Jodi Piccault.   The first one 2 were My Sister's Keeper and Plain Truth, both of which I liked.  Then I read the one about the girl and her father in Alaska, and the whole thing crashed and burned. It was as if the weaknesses I noticed in the first 2 overtook the whole book.