Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 256762 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1905 on: April 05, 2014, 09:12:55 PM »
When you think you're downloading a whole e-book in a series, but it's really just a 50 page or so "backstory". I was very sad when I turned a page in book 4 to what I thoght was a new chapter, only to find it was the first page of the first book.
Well...if the book is #2 or later in a series, the author has to give some sort of backstory.  Who are these people, and how did they get in the predicament that they're in?   Either the author can summarize it as a prologue, or they can drop it in expository chunks here and there.

As a reader, I prefer the prologue, because usually I've just finished the first book(s) or I go back and read the previous book(s) again.  As a writer, I still prefer the prologue, if only to escape the dreaded "As You Know, Bob" exposition, where the characters tell each other things they already know.  "As you know, Bob, this wizard appeared on the doorstep and told me that the ring my grandfather gave me is a Magical MacGuffin."  "Yes, I remember, Jim, and then the unicorns showed up and..."

Some writers/editors say that you should remind the reader of salient points here and there, things that happened earlier in the same book, because by the time the reader has gotten to chapter 5 they could have forgotten what happened in chapter 1.  How you could forget the wizard, the Magical MacGuffin Ring, the unicorns, and Our Heroes Bob and Jim, I'm not sure, unless you're reading the novel one or two sentences at a time.  (HELP,!  I've, gone, into, comma, overload,!)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1906 on: April 05, 2014, 09:45:34 PM »
I'd much rather they put all that stuff in the prologue so I can skip it. Unfortunately, there are authors whom I've otherwise enjoyed who will shoehorn it into the book (Susan Wittig Albert, I'm glaring at you) and who will use the same lines and amount of detail verbatim from book to book. At that point it's no longer expository, it's lazy.

Another pet peeve- the cast of thousands in series. I was reading a romance novel which was part of a series- one of those "we have five brothers and 32 cousins and they're all stunning hunks with fascinating jobs but they're either players or have been burned causing them to hate all women until the heroine shows up" series. The author brought in EVERY SINGLE PAIRING and their backstory from the previous books- and by this point it was up to something like 15 novels. I was losing track of who the leads were supposed to be!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

andi

« Reply #1907 on: April 05, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »
Oh I don't mind a prologue at the beginning of a new book - I was actually spread "what was going on cpgack at the ranch" so to speak. But after 2 chapters, it started over at book 1.

shadowfox79

« Reply #1908 on: April 06, 2014, 05:11:03 AM »

The best part of the book after that was the "trick" photo of the author in which she is shown to have three arms.

The book sounds terrible, but I now want to see that photo.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #1909 on: April 06, 2014, 11:08:28 PM »
Made it through the thread! Yay!     I can't handle blatant spelling errors in books, I also hate continuity problems or inconsistencies (I overthink everything so there better at least be a plausible explanation for how Johnny escaped from the well and made it to rescue Susie on time... even if it's not fully explained, as long as there is a plausible concept).  Actually that why I loved the tv show HIMYM, because any inconsistencies or problem I could worry away with "but that's ok, it's just the dad telling the story so clearly he remembers it wrong / forgot those details last time / didn't mention that bit before".... didn't overthink it the way I usually do  ;)

But my overall reading/book pet peeve is reading snobbery.   I wouldn't describe my tastes as hugely diverse, but I'm open-minded, and they range from the classics through to light mindless things I enjoy as a distraction.    There are certain genres that I've so far never found to my taste, but I just don't understand it when people insist on mocking them or the people who like them.   I believe that reading is for entertainment, therefore if it entertains it has achieved it's goal.   (Of course, some reading is for education, in which case if it educates it achieves it's goal...).    I used to find myself defensive of some things I liked, or even negative e.g. "Oh it's sooo bad I know, isn't it the stupidest? I just read it for a light distraction at bedtime" but then I realised it was better to own what I liked and be confident in that.   I really like it when people are comfortable saying they love romance novels or whatever it may be, and not be afraid of what people will think.    I definitely lose respect for people who mock books or genres.   Of course mocking a specific book for a specific reason/issue/stupidness is completely fun!  But the number of people I hear mocking romance novels for example, yet who in many case have never read one.  It's crazy.  It makes them seem like sheep trying to be cool by giving what they think is the cool opinion, even though they have no firsthand experience with what they're talking about.   There are a few things out there I hear about that I'm pretty sure I would personally find stupid if I read them, but I'm not interested enough to find out.   (Example - 50 shades of grey.   It sounds as though there are a lot of things I would dislike about that book and that it would not be to my taste.  Then again, you never know, I might find it a fun light read as many others have apparently done so!   I'm not going to pass judgment because I just don't know.  At some point I may give it a whirl... but my reading list is very full right now with things that I am quite confident I will like!)
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

goldilocks

« Reply #1910 on: April 06, 2014, 11:34:52 PM »
How about when you've started reading a series, where several of the books are already written and you can't figure out the order of the books?    Yes, I'm talking about you Harry Dresden.

Maybe I'm just not bright - but I had the hardest time finding out which book I needed to read next.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #1911 on: April 07, 2014, 06:07:32 AM »
When you begin reading a book and realise you've actually read it before.
 :'( :'(
On this occasion, I can handle that. Martina Cole books just rule with so much awesomeness that I can stand reading her books multiple times. 

8)
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1912 on: April 07, 2014, 08:42:29 AM »
When you begin reading a book and realise you've actually read it before.
 :'( :'(
On this occasion, I can handle that. Martina Cole books just rule with so much awesomeness that I can stand reading her books multiple times. 

8)

I sometimes purposely will leave a good amount of time between re-reads so that I end up forgetting what happens and then I can feel like I'm reading it for the first time when I reread it! :) Course I know the general plot but it's nice being surprised by the little details. 

When I recently re-read "Order of the Phoenix" I found myself being so surprised I kept thinking "I did read this once already, didn't I?"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1913 on: April 07, 2014, 08:56:54 AM »
How about when you've started reading a series, where several of the books are already written and you can't figure out the order of the books?    Yes, I'm talking about you Harry Dresden.

Maybe I'm just not bright - but I had the hardest time finding out which book I needed to read next.

Audible is pretty good with this.The books are titled with the title, series and book number, like "Storm Front: The Dresden Files, Book 1" or "Turn Coat: The Dresden Files, Book 11". I have even gone to their site just to check a book's place in a series.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1914 on: April 07, 2014, 09:57:18 AM »

Here they are in order of publication date:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/jim-butcher/

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1915 on: April 07, 2014, 12:11:13 PM »

Oh, yes.  It's extremely annoying when you think you're buying book one of three and you've actually bought book seventeen of nineteen. 

Talk about frustration!

Yarnspinner

« Reply #1916 on: April 07, 2014, 12:22:11 PM »

The best part of the book after that was the "trick" photo of the author in which she is shown to have three arms.

The book sounds terrible, but I now want to see that photo.

The title was Julian's House (not to be confused with The Julius House)...Judith Hawkes is the author.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:25:01 PM by Yarnspinner »

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #1917 on: April 07, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »
Re-reading books reminds me of one of my pet peeves:

When publishers re-issue the books under different titles and don't bother publicising it.  I'm looking at you, Marian Babson's publishers who have renamed all her books so the titles are cat related.  Grrr!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1918 on: April 07, 2014, 05:36:44 PM »
I agree about the snobbery, I've read Atlas Shrugged a few times because I enjoy watching the world unravel in it bit by bit, I don't agree with Ayn Rabd whatsoever and I think she was a hypocrit. That said, I wish she's make the villains in her story more developed than caricatures. And I haven't managed to read John Galt's speech in its entirety.

I reread books too, a lot. People don't do that?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:39:05 PM by Katana_Geldar »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1919 on: April 07, 2014, 08:45:02 PM »
I agree about the snobbery, I've read Atlas Shrugged a few times because I enjoy watching the world unravel in it bit by bit, I don't agree with Ayn Rabd whatsoever and I think she was a hypocrit. That said, I wish she's make the villains in her story more developed than caricatures. And I haven't managed to read John Galt's speech in its entirety.

I reread books too, a lot. People don't do that?
DH doesn't.  He says "I already know what happens, so why bother?"  However, he does NOT have a good explanation as to why this single reading has to happen with a hardback!
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.