Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 242159 times)

Bethczar

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #1920 on: April 07, 2014, 10:03:05 PM »
I agree about the snobbery, I've read Atlas Shrugged a few times because I enjoy watching the world unravel in it bit by bit, I don't agree with Ayn Rabd whatsoever and I think she was a hypocrit. That said, I wish she's make the villains in her story more developed than caricatures. And I haven't managed to read John Galt's speech in its entirety.

I reread books too, a lot. People don't do that?
DH doesn't.  He says "I already know what happens, so why bother?"  However, he does NOT have a good explanation as to why this single reading has to happen with a hardback!
I have books that I have read 40+ times. I can't imagine reading a good book just once.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1921 on: April 07, 2014, 10:21:54 PM »
I agree about the snobbery, I've read Atlas Shrugged a few times because I enjoy watching the world unravel in it bit by bit, I don't agree with Ayn Rabd whatsoever and I think she was a hypocrit. That said, I wish she's make the villains in her story more developed than caricatures. And I haven't managed to read John Galt's speech in its entirety.

DH doesn't.  He says "I already know what happens, so why bother?"  However, he does NOT have a good explanation as to why this single reading has to happen with a hardback!
I have books that I have read 40+ times. I can't imagine reading a good book just once.

I find I notice things that I never did before. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1922 on: April 07, 2014, 11:34:06 PM »

I find I notice things that I never did before. :)
So do I.  Although recently DH has picked up some of his older books and reread them.   They've only been kicking around the house for 35 years or so.  ::) 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #1923 on: April 08, 2014, 04:20:04 AM »

I do purposefully re-read books.  I just like to know when I've read it before, because to start reading what I think is a new book, only to find it's not, is really kind of annoying!  ;D
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #1924 on: April 08, 2014, 04:26:13 AM »

Me too.   It would be like making a good friend and never visiting them.... I like to visit old friends, when I have time.    :)
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #1925 on: April 08, 2014, 05:10:18 AM »
The point I guess I was making was that if I choose to re-read a book, fine.  It's just a little annoying to start what I think is a new book, only to remember reading it absolutely years ago.  ;D
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1926 on: April 08, 2014, 01:31:37 PM »
The point I guess I was making was that if I choose to re-read a book, fine.  It's just a little annoying to start what I think is a new book, only to remember reading it absolutely years ago.  ;D

Especially if you paid for the book again because they reissued it with a new cover. Partly my own fault, but still... :P

alkira6

« Reply #1927 on: April 08, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »
Or the cover boasts "new, expanded edition!" and you get 30 pages of scenery descriptions that were edited out of the first book because they add nothing and are boring.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #1928 on: April 08, 2014, 09:55:27 PM »

Oh I agree with that point!  I was responding specifically to the comments about people who don't ever want to re-read a book.    I agree it's annoying to be tricked into or accidentally pick up the same book again without realising. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #1929 on: April 09, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »
A college writing teacher once made mention of this and ever since then when I see it in a book I cringe - the whole 'dominated the room' description for a piece of furniture or similar. It probably doesn't bother most people but for some reason it annoys me.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1930 on: April 09, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »
I started reading Game of Thrones. It is pretty good but Martin has some writing quirks that are irritating to me. First, armour is "boiled leather". Ok, the first time, it is a throw away fact: not important but it can add a little colour. But it doesn't have to be mentioned every single time after that! It is fine to just say "leather armour", really. We will either remember it is boiled (no danger of forgetting that by now) or not care.

Second, if you say a character is on a specific horse, you don't have to mention that again in the very same paragraph. We really weren't thinking the character had dismounted, got on a different horse and started riding again in those 3 sentences of description. "She wrote her silver horse [blablablabla] She passed through the gate riding her silver horse." Really?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1931 on: April 09, 2014, 04:42:11 PM »
When authors who were perfectly capable of writing an entertaining,  well-plotted and inventive story in a book of 130 pages now find the need to write turgid, bloated books of 450 pages or more that don't really say very much. 

I'm looking at you, Harry Harrison.  Whatever happened to your 'Stainless Steel Rat' style of writing?

EllenS

« Reply #1932 on: April 10, 2014, 02:50:09 PM »
This thread is so entertaining.
BTW, if anybody on here wants to connect on Goodreads, PM me.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #1933 on: April 10, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »
As a wannabe writer, I'm learning lots of things NOT to do here in this thread!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1934 on: April 10, 2014, 05:06:41 PM »
Not sure if I've mentioned it or not, but one thing that annoys me is characters with names that are too similar.  Eileen, Ellen, and Elena do not belong in the same story.  Yes, even if they're triplets!  :P
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.