Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 243273 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #2010 on: April 27, 2014, 05:21:34 PM »
Not to mention, Romeo and Juliet didn't have much time to enjoy their love, did they? Like, maybe a week?
There's a fantastic romance: you'll obsess over each other, and die soon. The End.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2011 on: April 27, 2014, 05:57:23 PM »
If Romeo and Juliet had been allowed to be together it probably would have fizzled out quickly, like with Rosalind. The forbiddenness of it intensified things.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2012 on: April 27, 2014, 06:24:03 PM »
Not to mention, Romeo and Juliet didn't have much time to enjoy their love, did they? Like, maybe a week?
There's a fantastic romance: you'll obsess over each other, and die soon. The End.

Well, I've got to honestly say that it's a better romance than "love the one you're with".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2013 on: April 27, 2014, 10:50:54 PM »
Came across another one today: either quoting poetry incorrectly, or using it incorrectly. Like taking a love poem that's very possessive or satirical, and using it as an example of "romance." Or even incorporating other novels/literature as source material without really understanding it. Like using a novel that is about a dysfunctional relationship as an example of "romance." Understand the source material you're invoking!

Can we please please have some example quotes?

Not the OP, but I know for me I honestly don't understand why people consider "Wuthering Heights" to be so romantic when it strikes me as being incredibly dysfunctional.

Also makes me think of people using "Every Breath You Take" as a song for their first dance. Or "We've Got Tonight".

Anyone who tries to compare themselves to Romeo and Juliet - "So you're 13 and 16 respectively and several people are going to die?"

And this is why I love this quote:

"Forget Romeo and Juliet, I want a love like Gomes and Morticia."

Marga

« Reply #2014 on: April 27, 2014, 11:34:11 PM »
Came across another one today: either quoting poetry incorrectly, or using it incorrectly. Like taking a love poem that's very possessive or satirical, and using it as an example of "romance." Or even incorporating other novels/literature as source material without really understanding it. Like using a novel that is about a dysfunctional relationship as an example of "romance." Understand the source material you're invoking!

Not the OP, but I know for me I honestly don't understand why people consider "Wuthering Heights" to be so romantic when it strikes me as being incredibly dysfunctional.

Also makes me think of people using "Every Breath You Take" as a song for their first dance. Or "We've Got Tonight".

Anyone who tries to compare themselves to Romeo and Juliet - "So you're 13 and 16 respectively and several people are going to die?"

I hear you! :)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2015 on: April 27, 2014, 11:40:08 PM »

Popular songs that compare one's love for another to Romeo and Juliet.  Remember what happened to them?  They died.  Is that really what the singer intends to evoke, dumb teens who kill themselves over a dead lover?  BTW, Shakespeare didn't intend R&J to be a romantic tragedy.  It was a cautionary tale -- see, kids, here's what happens when you let yourself be carried away by lust of the eye, instead of letting your parents arrange a good match for you. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2016 on: April 27, 2014, 11:47:39 PM »
I always thought it was about the dangers of haste, and of getting too carried away with feuds can have tragic consequences. At least that's what the Prince says at the end of the play.

Cherry91

« Reply #2017 on: April 28, 2014, 07:25:22 AM »

Oh YES! :D

Goosey

« Reply #2018 on: April 28, 2014, 08:31:55 AM »

People consider Wuthering Heights a romance?? I always considered it kind of a horror story with passion. It's one of my favorites, but I would never, ever call it a "romance." And anyone one who aspires to that kind of relationship - really? You want to be so full of bitterness and greed and passion that you destroy everyone around you, even each other? Yeah, that's romance.

Sam eith Romeo and Juliet. That's one of my least favorite of Shakespeare's plays - I think mainly because it is so overdone. And the insistance that it all happened because they were "so in love." No, it happened because they were teenagers with a couple of adults around them that were encouraging them because they thought it would unite the houses.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2019 on: April 28, 2014, 10:39:05 AM »

Popular songs that compare one's love for another to Romeo and Juliet.  Remember what happened to them?  They died.  Is that really what the singer intends to evoke, dumb teens who kill themselves over a dead lover?  BTW, Shakespeare didn't intend R&J to be a romantic tragedy.  It was a cautionary tale -- see, kids, here's what happens when you let yourself be carried away by lust of the eye, instead of letting your parents arrange a good match for you.

No, that's not really what Shakespeare was writing about at all. He was actually writing about people who loved, who felt, so intensely, that they had more love in their short lives than most of us do in a lifetime.

But hey, as the Malvinas sing "Gone are the days when we would die for love - only freaks and weirdos do that stuff nowadays."

My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2020 on: April 28, 2014, 11:27:13 AM »

No, that's not really what Shakespeare was writing about at all. He was actually writing about people who loved, who felt, so intensely, that they had more love in their short lives than most of us do in a lifetime.

But hey, as the Malvinas sing "Gone are the days when we would die for love - only freaks and weirdos do that stuff nowadays."

How do we know what Shakespeare thought? Did he write it down somewhere that this is what he meant? If not then everyone's interpretation is fair.

Goosey

« Reply #2021 on: April 28, 2014, 11:35:09 AM »
Yeah the message of Romeo & Juliet is widely debated in literary circles. I don't think anyone has the "right" answer.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #2022 on: April 28, 2014, 11:51:06 AM »
The funny thing I've found out about grammar is that it's very hard to explain why something is right or wrong sometime,so particularly to an non-native speaker.

I had a Spanish teacher who handwaved questions like "Why is 'mano' a feminine noun?" by saying "It sounds better to the Spanish ear."  Which is as good an explanation as any.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Cherry91

« Reply #2023 on: April 28, 2014, 07:21:52 PM »
I'm currently helping out backstage at a production of Othello, and no work of Shakespeare save maybe The Taming of the Shrew annoys me more than this play!

I get that time is limited, but Othello goes from "I love Desdemona!" to "Desdemona is cheating on me! I'll kill her!" in a single scene! On nothing more than hearsay given to him by Iago. I know Iago has never given indication to anyone that he's a liar until he gets caught, but Othello is still far too easily swayed.

Also, Iago is very lucky to get away with his plotting as much as he does, considering if most of the main characters had just talked to each other, he'd have been majorly busted ("Why would Iago say I'm sneaking around meeting your wife when he's the one who told me to talk to her?" etc)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2024 on: April 28, 2014, 07:37:23 PM »
I'm currently helping out backstage at a production of Othello, and no work of Shakespeare save maybe The Taming of the Shrew annoys me more than this play!

I get that time is limited, but Othello goes from "I love Desdemona!" to "Desdemona is cheating on me! I'll kill her!" in a single scene! On nothing more than hearsay given to him by Iago. I know Iago has never given indication to anyone that he's a liar until he gets caught, but Othello is still far too easily swayed.

Also, Iago is very lucky to get away with his plotting as much as he does, considering if most of the main characters had just talked to each other, he'd have been majorly busted ("Why would Iago say I'm sneaking around meeting your wife when he's the one who told me to talk to her?" etc)

Othello's fatal flaw is jealousy. He's quick to believe that of Desdemona because he's naturally jealous. Plus, his temperament is mercurial.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter