Author Topic: Anyone have experience with open adoption?  (Read 940 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Anyone have experience with open adoption?
« on: February 06, 2013, 02:42:17 AM »
A friend of a friend is 24 weeks pregnant and is not in a situation to be a mom right now, so she asked my friend (who has been through the adoption process before) to help her find someone nearby who might want to adopt the baby.  My friend hasn't had any luck just asking around, so the next step is going to be to try to convince the mother-to-be to consider an adoption agency.

I could have sworn I saw an agency online somewhere a while back which listed prospective adoptive parent profiles on their website, but an hour or two of Googling later and I haven't found any which list profiles and also allow you to search by location (looking for North Alabama / South-Central Tennessee).  Some of them do list the parents' state of residence, but don't say where and aren't searchable.

Does anyone have experience with agencies in my area, or know of any national agencies which have searchable lists of family profiles?  I know that most agencies will offer the birth parents a personalized list, but because the mother-to-be is nervous about using an agency, my friend thinks being able to see some prospective parents first might help her be okay with it if it comes to that.  I realize this isn't really my problem to solve (one baby in this house is plenty!) but my friend has to find someone within the next few weeks so time is tight.  (Long story, but basically if there isn't an adoptive family in place by the time the baby is born, the baby will end up as a pawn in a toxic family war.)

Feel free to PM me if you have information I could pass on, if you'd rather not post it here  :)

workerbee

Re: Anyone have experience with open adoption?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 09:11:35 AM »
I don't have any useful information for you, but I so wish you were looking a couple of states north. We've been considering adoption and this is exactly the kind of sign I would need to step up.

I hope she finds someone and am sending wishes that everything works out for the best for the baby.

miredrose326

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 09:42:03 AM »
I also don't have any useful information but really wish the birth mom was a few states north too.
My beautiful babies 

asb8

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:49:28 AM »
Would an attorney that specializes in adoptions be a resource?  A private attorney could still arrange an open adoption and should have a list of clients looking to adopt.  Or Social Services?  I don't offer Social Services as the option to place through but they should at least know of reputable agencies in the area.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 12:18:27 PM »
Try the Annie Casey Foundation. 

Arrynne

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 12:26:57 PM »
You can find a lot of resources here:  http://adoptivefamilies.com/   I got a lot of useful information off of this site.   

ncgal

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 12:40:19 PM »
In my legal work experience (no legal advice here though), a lot of Family law/Adoption attorney's have list of families looking to adopt.  Most can be open or closed depending on those involved and their wishes.  I would just suggest opening the phone book for names of attorneys and then maybe google said attorney for any reviews on them or check the state bar to see if there have been any complaints on the handling of adoptions with those attorneys. 

Also Children's Home society will handle adoptions. 

I adopted my wonderful daughter through DSS.  It is an open adoption in that we know the birth mom and she knows us and where we live (not my choice for her to know where we live though...time to move soon.), but there is no agreement and I control the contact.