A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Low (or no) turnover - what's their secret?

(1/8) > >>

oceanus:
(I didn't put this in "All in a Day's Work" because it's not an etiquette issue.)

I periodically conduct some personal business with a company that employs a small staff (less than 10 people).  I go into the office maybe once or twice a year, and I’ve chatted and gotten to kind of know some of the people.   I found out that ALL of them have worked there for over 15 years (several over 20 years and a couple 25+ years).  It’s not a fancy place, actually quite low-key and average.  Only a couple private offices and a tiny break room.  Most staff sit among each other – no cubicles.

They mentioned that one woman left a year ago after 23 years, but only because her husband retired and they wanted to move to another state to be closer to family.

I think this is rather unusual – maybe because in the past I worked at a few places with high turnover.

So, I’m thinking that some (maybe all) of the following apply to that office:
1) They are very highly paid
2) The benefit package is superior
3) The people like each other (and the boss/owner) – a lot
4) They really love what they do

The work is not easy - actually they all seem busy and the field (commercial real estate) can be quite competitive.  The boss must also be good at picking people who blend well and are not HR headaches.

Am I missing anything – what do you folks tnink?

Sharnita:
They feel respected in the workplace.
They feel safe in the workplace.

oceanus:
By the way, the company has been in business and very successful for over 80 years.

JenJay:

--- Quote from: Sharnita on January 27, 2013, 06:28:42 PM ---They feel respected in the workplace.
They feel safe in the workplace.

--- End quote ---

That'd be my guess, too.

At my last job the work was dirty and sometimes difficult, the pay was low, benefits not great, hours not ideal and frequently hard to come by and the boss was a big micromanager. I could have dealt with all of it but upper management treated us like we should be thanking them that we even had a crappy job and that is why most people left, myself included. Being treated like you're valued goes a long way!

Slartibartfast:
The only other factor I can think of for companies like this (not necessarily this one specifically) would be "They're all related to each other"  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version