Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

My multi-cake idea was a HUGE success!

<< < (2/10) > >>

kckgirl:

--- Quote from: SoCalVal on January 28, 2013, 03:36:38 AM ---(it was announced both on our FB page and on our wedding website that no table cake-cutting was taking place until after the wedding cake-cutting).
--- End quote ---

Are you absolutely sure the people who cut the cake saw either your facebook page or wedding web site? I think this was just an unfortunate mistake because the cake was on the table. It probably would have been better to make a real announcement at the recption. I am middle aged and have plenty of friends who never use facebook and don't look at wedding web sites.

doodlemor:
I just love your clever idea of the edible centerpieces, SoCalVal.

gellchom:
I, too, love the idea.

I wonder, though, why it was so important to you that no one have any cake before the wedding cake was cut.  Was there some ceremony, game, or activity associated with cutting the cakes?  If not, what difference does it make to anyone else if that table ate their cake early?  It seems a bit controlling to me otherwise.  I am guessing that the idea was for everyone to start at the same time so that everyone could get a slice of each -- or at least an equal shot at it (presumably, none of the cakes would serve everyone in the room)?  But without knowing that, honestly, if I'd been one of your guests, even if I had happened to notice that the cakes were different on each table, I would have thought that your plan was that when everyone at the table was finished with our main course, we should serve ourselves the cake on our table.

In any case, I think you needed to give more notice of your expectation to people than just putting it on your wedding website.  I know I never read them in that much detail, certainly not if it's not someone very close.  Sorry, but I'm not terribly interested in learning where my husband's cousin's bridesmaids went to college or reading a twelve-paragraph story about how my colleague's son met his fiancee or a long history of their charming venue.  If I look at the web sites at all, it's usually just to get registry or logistical information.  I'm not saying that people are wrong to put all that stuff on their website!  But be aware that not all your guests are going to read it -- and the more stuff you put on there, the less likely they are to read it all.  So if there is something you really want them to know, find another way to tell them.

Hmmmmm:
I love the look of wedding cake centerpieces, though I'll admit it would have been hard for me to sit at a table for more then an hour without cutting into it. 

SoCalVal:

--- Quote from: gellchom on January 28, 2013, 02:37:44 PM ---I, too, love the idea.

I wonder, though, why it was so important to you that no one have any cake before the wedding cake was cut.  Was there some ceremony, game, or activity associated with cutting the cakes?  If not, what difference does it make to anyone else if that table ate their cake early?  It seems a bit controlling to me otherwise.  I am guessing that the idea was for everyone to start at the same time so that everyone could get a slice of each -- or at least an equal shot at it (presumably, none of the cakes would serve everyone in the room)?  But without knowing that, honestly, if I'd been one of your guests, even if I had happened to notice that the cakes were different on each table, I would have thought that your plan was that when everyone at the table was finished with our main course, we should serve ourselves the cake on our table.

In any case, I think you needed to give more notice of your expectation to people than just putting it on your wedding website.  I know I never read them in that much detail, certainly not if it's not someone very close.  Sorry, but I'm not terribly interested in learning where my husband's cousin's bridesmaids went to college or reading a twelve-paragraph story about how my colleague's son met his fiancee or a long history of their charming venue.  If I look at the web sites at all, it's usually just to get registry or logistical information.  I'm not saying that people are wrong to put all that stuff on their website!  But be aware that not all your guests are going to read it -- and the more stuff you put on there, the less likely they are to read it all.  So if there is something you really want them to know, find another way to tell them.

--- End quote ---

Sorry you feel that way, but we'll just have to disagree here and leave it at that since I don't see it as a control issue and 70+ other guests didn't have to be told at the reception not to cut into the cakes ahead of time.

As far as the website -- YMMV.  I *am* someone who would want to know more about the happy couple, especially if I'm attending their wedding.  I don't disagree with what you're saying here, though (we did provide more than one place for the wedding info but, as we've learned on this forum, there's no one perfect way of disseminating information).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version