Author Topic: How many members are writers?  (Read 1439 times)

Redsoil

How many members are writers?
« on: January 28, 2013, 07:09:13 AM »
From time-to-time, some members make mention of the fact that they write.  Some are published authors, others may write fanfic, yet others are working towards publication.  Then there are those who blog, or possibly write for magazines and newspapers.

So, I wondered how many writers live amongst us?  >:D  What form does your writing take?  How often do you write?  Is it a fulfilling or frustrating exercise?  How does it feel when you don't/can't write (either due to time constraints or other factors).

Enquiring minds (well mine, at least - yes, both of them!*) want to know.   ;D

Oh, and for those with published works, what is involved in the process?  We mere mortals probably can't begin to imagine what the process entails, nor the complexities inherent in getting a book through from raw copy to the bookshelves!

*Shades of Zaphod Beeblebrox
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:23:40 AM by Redsoil »
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

shadowfox79

Re: How many members are writers?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 08:43:09 AM »
I am a published erotic romance author - only published since 2011, mind. I have one full-length novel, one novella and two shorts in anthologies out so far, with another novel awaiting approval.

I'm currently working on 3 pieces and try to do a bit on each of them every day. I've been known to email myself, text myself or write on my hand when I get an idea at an inconvenient moment.

I can only comment on my own publishing experience - I'm not with a traditional publisher, but am with an e-publisher (not self-publishing) who also work in print. It only takes a few months from acceptance to publication via editing, usually; in the meantime I handle all the marketing, mostly via blog tours and interviews. That's probably the most frustrating part for me - I'm always looking for ways to market to new people, as the blogs I use tend to have a fairly standard readership.

faithlessone

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:00:21 AM »
Not professionally, but I do write.

I've written a couple of historical fiction novels (neither published, and neither worth publishing, if I'm honest!), and I'm in the middle of another, rather epic novel (going to be around 400,000 words by the time it's done). I tend to stick to Ancient Greece, because that's the era I'm most comfortable writing in. (Classics student!)

I also write a fair amount of fanfiction. However, very little of it sees the light of day. Just a few pieces here and there that are usually for fairly rare fandoms.

I prefer to write simply for my own enjoyment. I write when the mood takes me, and I always have a notebook on me for those spur of the moment ideas. I'm very sensitive to criticism, which is probably why I don't let many people read my things. I like keeping them just for myself. ;D

Generally though, I prefer to read than to write. I probably read 500,000 words of fanfiction a week, plus a novel or so.

mmswm

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:06:04 AM »
I am attempting to write a novel.  My grandfather's life falls into the "you can't make this stuff up" category.  He wasn't a nice man, but his life was fascinating.  "You should write a book," is a common response when I tell people bits and pieces of his life. So I'm working on it.  I'm a mathematician/statistician by training, so this is going way out of my comfort zone, but the effort has been worth it.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

gentlebutterfly

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »
I am also a published writer. I have two short stories published and am working on my first novel. I write gay&lesbian fiction. I work with a small indie publishing company.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 10:08:48 AM »
I'm a writer and editor of nonfiction for kids. I work for a nonfic children's publishing company.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »
I work on a blog with a team and my entries are published on Mondays.  It's not for pay.

I wanted to write romance novels but realized to my absolute chagrin that I am not qualified to do so.  I wish I could write mysteries  but I don't have that kind of patience.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 10:47:45 AM »
Fanfic writer of many years standing  - original series BSG, Stargate Atlantis and Lancer - and only last week I sent a short story to a publisher (e publication and print) for a proposed anthology.  That was my first attempt to get published.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

SpottedPony

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 11:16:57 AM »
Another fanfic writer here.  All but one of my fanfics are posted at Fanfic.net under Spots On A Pony.  The one that isn't, is because it is part of a 50th anniversity anthology and I can't post it until I get the rights back.  Since it's past 1012, it still hasn't sold 500 copies yet. 

I have several fanfics in the works, one that is almost done and a couple of chapters of a young adult novel I should at least get into the computer.

Spotted Pony

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »
My first book came out in the 1990's, written as a hobby, and I've had books in print since then with some articles and shorter works. I moved to novels and longer fiction works a few years ago which are published by a small press. Nowadays I use a penname to keep my fiction writing and career seperate, since professional publication was causing a bit of confusion.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 11:44:08 AM »
I currently write fanfiction, and when I was a teenager I was a columnist for my local paper.  Although it was wonderful to write for pay, I ultimately decided I didn't want to be dependent on writing for income--the deadlines were too stressful and made the writing less enjoyable.  Hence the fanfic.  :)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 11:47:13 AM »
I write fanfiction, and occasionally write my own stories... though none of them will ever be published :). I am also a writer for the school newspaper at my college.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Um, FYI, I was under the impression that erotica was not to be mentioned in the EH forums because those who admit they write it are not welcome here?

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=107408.90

NestHolder

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »
I write fanfic (and there is one original story on my website); started off with Star Trek: The Next Generation, and have since mostly been writing RPF (Nsync, Backstreet Boys, Glambert), plus a handful of oddments. 

One of my fanfic friends used to work for a small publishing company, and the insight she gave me into the necessities of word length, editing, meeting deadlines etc finally convinced me that I don't want to write for money!

mmswm

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »
I posted in a hurry this morning and forgot to add that I've also done some freelance writing for textbook companies in mathematics.  I'm not sure if that counts, since I haven't done a lot of it, and it's been a long while since I have.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)