Author Topic: Recommendations for blogging platforms?  (Read 420 times)

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
Recommendations for blogging platforms?
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:22:45 PM »
Hi all,

I've had a LiveJournal account since 2004. I use it to blog about my personal life. Now I'm planning on starting up a new blog, focusing on the writing process and including tips for aspiring writers, etc. Ideally, I'd like a blog that:

- is easy to use and navigate (I'm not a complete technophobe, but not that tech savvy either);
- allows me to post photographs and other images; and
- looks professional.

I'm unsure whether to stick with LiveJournal, or go with one of the newer blogging sites, like Blogspot or Wordpress. I'd be interested in getting recommendations from other bloggers out there - which blogging platform do you use? And has it worked well for you?

magician5

Re: Recommendations for blogging platforms?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:41:11 PM »
My blog supports my podcast at http://ballycast.com

Wordpress works very well for me [ http://wordpress.com ] (I have my own paid hosting from powweb.com, but wordpress.com also offers entirely free hosting).

Wordpress boasts that any three-year-old can set it up, but I'm 63 so I should have hired a 3-year-old ... never did figure out how I got it going back in 2007. Sheer luck, I guess. But you'll probably do better.

Since I began, there came along a wonderful free plugin, tinyMCE, that gives you a WYSIWYG interface for formatting and adding pictures to your posts.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

snowdragon

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 11:05:01 PM »
I use blogger by gmail for everything.  I have used other things but I like blogger's format the best.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 06:17:02 AM »
I have both Blogger and Wordpress blogs. Wordpress is nice and easy to use and much better if you are paying for your own hosted version, but the simple beginner free version has some awful limitations. I so often see Wordpress blogs that don't offer an RSS feed. Blogger is better for that IMHO.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 06:21:21 AM »
I have both Blogger and Wordpress blogs. Wordpress is nice and easy to use and much better if you are paying for your own hosted version, but the simple beginner free version has some awful limitations. I so often see Wordpress blogs that don't offer an RSS feed. Blogger is better for that IMHO.

I agree with this. Disclaimer: I have free accounts both places, so I couldn't say how they compare if you pay for them.

I love LJ and use it for my private blog, but it doesn't come across nearly as professional as the two other sites. Especially if you pay for your namespace.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:47:35 AM »
I use blogger for mine.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 11:20:30 AM »
Bethalize: the lack of RSS on free WP blogs is a matter of the user not putting a link, not a limit of the platform (but it is a bit confusing to add).

I have a self-hosted WP blog (actually a few), which is ultimately the most professional, in my opinion (to be fair, I do Web development for a living). Mainly because you have your own domain, and can do a ton of customization. It helps to know what you are doing though

Blogger (a Google product) is a fairly easy to use platform (no more difficult than LJ, if I recall, although I havenít used LJ for 7 years or so). It allows for a lot of customization, monetization, etc, but you can also get around pretty easily with just basic themes. It also allows you to use your own domain while still having it hosted by Blogger. (not sure on cost of that). For the average person, I almost always suggest Blogger.

Free WP is extremely easy to use and has some very cool features, but offers practically no customization and you canít monetize it. It has some good free themes, but a lot of the more customizable themes cost money, and even something as simple as changing text colors requires you buy into a payment system. I have a small blog on there, but three months in, I really wish Iíd chosen Blogger instead, and may port it over soon. I decided to try the free WP system to begin with since I am familiar with the self-hosted version, but itís really not the same except at the most basic user interface level.

As for running it on LJ, I find that is definitely more of a personal journal or niche topic site. A lot of emphasis is put on a community involvement (by the platform, I mean, not individual users), which is fine if your readers are all LJ members, but can be off-putting to non-LJ members. They also make it difficult to add RSS feeds and show ads that you donít profit from unless you become a paid member.