Author Topic: Care packages for DD - ideas!  (Read 1521 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Care packages for DD - ideas!
« on: January 28, 2013, 02:07:26 PM »
My DD is deploying to Qatar in about two weeks with the Air National Guard. It's supposed to be a VERY boring duty station (apparently other branches use it as R&R in the area, and I'm told all there is to do besides work is surf the internet, work out, and eat). She's a bright, friendly person, and I've heard all my life from my retired USAF grandfathers that care packages are eagerly anticipated and a REALLY BIG DEAL while deployed, even in boring stations.

I'm going to make some of the bunnies (http://www.urbanthreads.com/blog/?p=7487 ) in USAF camo print, and have plans to send her some snacks that I know she likes, and that sort of thing - but what other fun things can I send? Not just for her, either - I'd like her to be able to share. I know they get awfully bored and lonely over there, and my DD is the sort that feels that deeply (minister's daughter - I suppose it's an occupational hazard).

Anyone ever made care packages for military folks? Any ideas? She's in a hot climate there, but not in the desert, exactly, so a lot of the care package ideas seem like they may be overkill (but are they?? I have no idea).

Thanks for any help you can provide - I want to make her 6 months go by as fast and as comfortably as possible, any way I can.

Amara

Re: Care packages for DD - ideas!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:45:10 PM »
Does she read? Books are great and can be shared. How about puzzle books and board games? (Does Monopoly or Sorry ever get old? How about Clue (and the butler in the library with the candlesticks)? I know a fantastic card game that no one seems to have ever heard of: Spider. If you are interested in learning the details email me. I have them written down.

Does she want to learn something new like a language or a technical/hand-on trade? Maybe this is the time to sign up (online and/or with books) to learn it.

shygirl

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 02:49:58 PM »
I've never sent care packages to military people, but if you're looking for ideas to pass the time, I second the idea of sending games.  How about a deck of cards?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »
Can she access movies on the internet through Amazon, Netflix, Hulu?  If these sites aren't blocked maybe you can buy her a subscription.

If the sites are blocked, DVDs are always a good thing to send.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 03:06:15 PM »
What about some nicer personal care items? I have no idea if thete are restrictions, but I was thinking lotions, soaps, chapsticks, that sort of thing.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 03:07:25 PM »
Don't forget the sunscreen.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 03:07:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure Netflix and the like are blocked - I'm told their bandwidth is pretty limited. DVDs will be procured, I'm sure - she will have her laptop to watch them.

Card games are a great idea - I've got some (Uno, Rook, one of the Cranium games that is card based) and will add to them... board games may be too much to handle, though, spacewise. Their accommodations are pretty small.

mandycorn

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 03:16:21 PM »
If you could find a book of card game rules, that might be good. It would give her more flexibility on what games she could play, especially if you can find one that includes rules for different sized groups and solitaire variations.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 03:21:35 PM »
If you could find a book of card game rules, that might be good. It would give her more flexibility on what games she could play, especially if you can find one that includes rules for different sized groups and solitaire variations.

BRILLIANT!

Spriggy

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 03:36:20 PM »
Going along with card games - my family plays Phase 10 and Five Crowns (both available for purchase on Amazon).

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »

Hoyle's Rules of Games
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 03:57:55 PM »
For a cute personal touch, see if local children's groups like a Daisy troop would want to color pictures or cards for her unit.  My daughter's Daisy troop colored holiday cards for a local unit that was deployed to Afghanistan over the holidays, and the unit was really touched -- they sent back holiday cards for the girls.

We also put together card packages for the unit and we included sunscreen, small toiletries like hand sanitizer, non-meltable snacks, chapstick (a BIG deal in the dry climate there), small packs of tissue, card games, pens and pencils and pads of paper.  Can't think of what else we included at the moment.

Firecat

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »
I'm told paperback books of pretty much any description are always popular. If she's at all into science fiction or fantasy, I can make some recommendations along those lines. And on a practical note, tampons or pads (whatever she uses) would likely be very welcome, too. And if need be, you can take them out of the packaging and use them to fill space in the care package box.

NutMeg

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 04:36:45 PM »
What about books with logic puzzles, or Sudoku type games? That sort of thing can be passed around, or worked on together.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

EmmaJ.

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 04:50:39 PM »
I had a friend stationed in Afghanistan about six years ago and I'm trying to remember things he asked for and enjoyed.

Small hand-held electronic games, crossword puzzle books, brain-teaser magazines, current novels, flavored powder to add to drinking water (he liked the Crystal Light ones), coffee creamer powder in various flavors, granola bars, candy and cookies, extra socks.