Author Topic: Care packages for DD - ideas!  (Read 1547 times)

Paper Roses

Re: Care packages for DD - ideas!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »
My nephew was in Afghanistan for a while, and I sent him quite a few packages.  I did send a couple of computer games recommended by my son (since I am clueless when it comes to that stuff)  One was called "Orange Box" and as I recall it contained a couple of different games that were pretty popular.  (This particular thing may be outdated now.  My son suggested it since it came out after my nephew was sent over, so we knew it was something he wouldn't already have).

I also picked up several of the cheap DVDs from Target and Walmart - the $4.99 bins and such.

I would send small, individual-sized packets of baby wipes, or "wet ones," as I've heard they like those, and the smaller packets are easier to carry around. 

Foot powder, deodorant, lip balms, snacks, snacks, snacks - lots of those small plastic containers of things like salsa, or queso dips, or ranch dips.  You can get them in packs of 4.

Apparently, another thing they tend to like is the flavorings for water - I sent over a couple of bottles of that "MIO" stuff, or the little powder packets.  Apparently, they have plenty of bottled water, but tend to get sick of it (understandably) so the flavorings are a welcome change of pace.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »
I forgot to mention - I wasn't allowed to ship anything liquid.  But that was several years ago, so rules may have changed.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 05:20:02 PM »
Qatar isn't quite the isolated area that Afghanistan is. They have multiple PX/BX's, a movie theater place, morale centers, plenty of fast food joints, and two pools. Depending on who her supervision/length of duty time, she can even go off base.

What I'm trying to get at is, your average deployed care package (socks, hygiene items, books, etc) isn't... well, as appreciated there. There is tons of access to books and hygiene type stuff, so it isn't seen as a treat.  I'm sure she would love it just the same, but I would go more with homemade goods, some of her favorite foods from the States, and TONS of the flavored water stuff. If she has a Kindle or an Itunes account, a gift card would be really awesome too.

I hope that makes sense. I'm not sure if I explained it very well.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 05:24:33 PM »
Maybe print her off a photo calendar for the length of her posting- pictures of you, your husbutch and that adorable dog of yours, with important dates circled on it(like birthdays and stuff, especially if you know ahead of time dates you'll be able to call/skype/whatever)?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 05:51:36 PM »
Any kind of puzzle/game book
Paperback books
Nerf football
Whiffle ball and bat
Frisbee
Crayons and drawing paper
Soccer ball
Beach ball
Bubbles
Any small, fun toy or game. See examples here: http://www.officeplayground.com/

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
Junk food is a huge winner with military personnel.  However, don't send chocolate during the hot weather months (theirs begin sooner than ours).

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 10:16:13 AM »
Qatar isn't quite the isolated area that Afghanistan is. They have multiple PX/BX's, a movie theater place, morale centers, plenty of fast food joints, and two pools. Depending on who her supervision/length of duty time, she can even go off base.

What I'm trying to get at is, your average deployed care package (socks, hygiene items, books, etc) isn't... well, as appreciated there. There is tons of access to books and hygiene type stuff, so it isn't seen as a treat.  I'm sure she would love it just the same, but I would go more with homemade goods, some of her favorite foods from the States, and TONS of the flavored water stuff. If she has a Kindle or an Itunes account, a gift card would be really awesome too.

I hope that makes sense. I'm not sure if I explained it very well.

That's the kind of info I really need - I know she'll likely be fine on toothpaste and the like, but what things aren't available that she might like. Argh - I think I'm going to end up waiting until she gets there and just asking. I know USAF bases tend to be a bit more 'plush' than the other branches, and with it being a dorm situation instead of tents in the sand, a lot of the (otherwise better) suggestions just aren't right for her.

I know I need to send her sunscreen she's not allergic to. Other than that, I guess I'll have to wait.

PurpleFrog

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 10:28:04 AM »
This is a bit of a left filed one, but friends of mine who were deployed loved small craft kits. Things that can keep hands busy, even some children's beading kits and those scooby things went down well.
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 01:30:58 PM »
What about one of those kits so she can learn how to juggle (usually a book and balls -- I've seen them at bookstores).  If she has a lot of time to kill, teaching herself to juggle could be amusing.  Or at least give her a good skill to show off someday.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »
You know, I'm thinking that a lot of those kits you see in the bookstore in the kids section (make your own whatever, learn how to whatever, etc) may be winging their way to Qatar. LOL

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 03:29:06 PM »
If she's got a laptop there, she might appreciate some computer games.  Even if she's not usually much of a gamer, they're a fun way to pass the time and they have replay value (unlike re-reading most books!).  I'd suggest something like Dragon Age or Civilization V if you're not sure if she likes games or not - they're immersive, but not too graphically challenging (so her computer would almost certainly be able to play them) and you can pause them whenever you want to.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »
Seconding the game suggestion.  I could play the hidden object games all day.