Author Topic: Why Didn't You Ask Me?  (Read 3088 times)

Dark Annie

Why Didn't You Ask Me?
« on: January 29, 2013, 04:08:52 AM »
Hi guys,
I'm in a bit of a pickle and I was wondering if you could tell me how to respond tomorrow. Try not to judge me too hard.

I recently finished my undergraduate degree in social work (I'm now technically a graduand and will be a graduate in April! ;D) and I'm currently looking for work in my specific area of practice. Due to the less desirable economic situation, my choice of jobs is vastly more limited than what it would be if I'd graduated in 2011, so naturally I am doing every thing I can to improve my employment chances. As such, I will be attending a two (2) day Senior First Aid course this week, something which will be looked upon very favourably, especially in my specialty. I booked the course at the start of January.

Now I've written about my classmate Nikki a few times (she's not the one who's had the baby) and although we were quite good friends during our final year, since we've graduated, I've realised that she's more of an acquaintance than a friend and I've started to distance myself from her. The problem is that Nikki is extremely immature in her behaviour and even though she is only two (2) years younger than me (both mid twenties), she acts more like ten (10) years younger. The decision to drop her down to acquaintance occurred after she passed on, and failure to defend me against, a vicious comment that one of her friends made about me (accusing me of cheating on my boyfriend in a restaurant toilet) and also when I realised that due to my current stressful circumstances, having to provide her with near constant, un-reciprocated emotional and psychological support is not conducive to my health.

Dilemma: Nikki and I have arranged to catch up for drinks tomorrow in City and whilst in the course of organising it, I mentioned that I was doing the First Aid Course, which was also in City. Nikki's first response was "Why didn't you ask me?". Well, first off, I never even thought of it as course is over $200 and I'm not responsible for Nikki's learning. But even if I had thought of her, I wouldn't have asked her anyway, although the reasoning is not a very nice reflection of my character  :(  Even though Nikki claims that she wants to study [extremely hard and competitive postgraduate degree], she was a terrible student- lazy, unmotivated and always ready to take the easy way out.  She frequently started (and completed) assignments the night before, never studied, and whinged about how the teachers were always persecuting her. She also made a big deal of how I just got high marks. Never mind that I worked my bottom off every single day, which she knew as she would always bug me for my extra resources, notes and coursework that I sacrificed my social life for! Therefore, I wouldn't have asked to attend the course with me because I know exactly how it would have gone- once again I would have worked as hard as possible to get my certification whilst Nikki would goof up and then expect me to help her out. Also, as I mentioned before, social work jobs are limited. Nikki is my competition for jobs- why would I want to give her the edge over me, especially when I work so hard?

I know I'm bitter and it makes me sound like a horrible person but I also realise that it's my deal and not Nikki's and I don't want to hurt her. I also hope that once we have some distance between us, I can maybe even try to view her as a friend again.  So can someone please help me come up with some responses for tomorrow when she asks me why I didn't tell her about the course?

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Why Didn't You Ask Me?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 04:23:21 AM »
"oh, I didn't know you were interested. Bean Dip?"

don't talk about the course. don't talk about school/jobs with her if you don't want to share.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

kckgirl

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 04:34:40 AM »
Just because she asks doesn't mean you have to answer. If it comes up just tell her you didn't ask anybody and leave it at that. It is not a snub to anybody.
Maryland

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 04:57:54 AM »
"oh, I didn't know you were interested. Bean Dip?"

don't talk about the course. don't talk about school/jobs with her if you don't want to share.

This. And I have to wonder why you'd want to meet up with someone who sounds like an immature drama queen who causes nothing but stress in your life and gives nothing back, and has participated in rumours about your having scrabble in a restaurant toilet. Now that you don't have to see her at school, I'd decline getting together, personally.

Margo

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 07:39:04 AM »
If she asks, then I think replies along the lines Cicero and Kckgirl suggest are fine.
If she pushes it, I think that saying something like "Nikki, I told you, I didn't ask anyone - why would I? No one asked me, either. I was interested, so I researched the course, saved up the fees, and applied."

(and maybe, if she is pushy) "It never occurred to me to ask anyone else. If I'd have thought about it at all, I'd have assumed that anyone who was interested would have done what I did, and sorted it out for themselves"

YummyMummy66

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:00:59 AM »
I have to wonder why you are meeting someone for drinks that clearly you do not want a friendship with?

I cannot imagine what you would have to even talk about if you cannot talk about certain things with her for fear of what she might say, ask, be included on, etc.

kckgirl

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:38:42 AM »
You are not responsible for her lack of action. Quit taking on that responsibility or thinking that you  should. You never owed her class notes or anything  else. I would cancel the meeting and let her go.
Maryland

cheyne

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:44:12 AM »
Being by yourself is preferable to being in this woman's company.  Cancel the drinks and be done with her. 

lowspark

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »
I have to wonder why you are meeting someone for drinks that clearly you do not want a friendship with?

I cannot imagine what you would have to even talk about if you cannot talk about certain things with her for fear of what she might say, ask, be included on, etc.
This.

Being by yourself is preferable to being in this woman's company.  Cancel the drinks and be done with her. 

And this.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 09:31:39 AM »
Look at her blankly, and say, "It never even occurred to me."
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »
I know I'm bitter and it makes me sound like a horrible person but I also realise that it's my deal and not Nikki's and I don't want to hurt her. I also hope that once we have some distance between us, I can maybe even try to view her as a friend again.  So can someone please help me come up with some responses for tomorrow when she asks me why I didn't tell her about the course?

I don't think you're bitter. I think you are dealing with an unpleasant person, and there's no particular reason why you should "try to view her as a friend again".

One thing I may warn about - in social work, many people try to carry the pain of their clients, and burn out as a result. Don't feel that you are responsible for Nikki's study habits, etc. This sort of thinking can become hazardous in your profession.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Dr. F.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »
An unwillingness to be taken advantage of is not a character flaw.

Repeat this to yourself as needed.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 09:56:45 AM »
"Why would I?"  said with a really puzzled look.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 10:08:46 AM »

Dilemma: Nikki and I have arranged to catch up for drinks tomorrow in City and whilst in the course of organising it, I mentioned that I was doing the First Aid Course, which was also in City.

Here is your problem. 
1) you are meeting with her.  If you want her out of your life, be too busy to meet up.
2) you are telling her details of your life.  She will want to get involved, so stop.

What could you have said?  "Frankly Nikki, it never even occurred to because of the way you whined (whinged) in class about having to study I thought the last thing on your mind would be more school."

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 10:08:58 AM »

This.

And this.

Amen to all this.  Or I guess I should say POD.