Author Topic: Awkward Family Introductions (long)  (Read 4269 times)

Deetee

• Super Hero!
Re: Awkward Family Introductions (long)
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 09:33:35 PM »
Wolfie so hit the nail on the head!

To add a bit of further on the MILtown visit.

This detour of his cut did into the day (MIL lives in the suburbs and we wanted to shop downtown).  It was a two hour drive to get to MILtown from our place, it's a 45 minute drive from his Mom's place to the shopping district, and he did this in the middle of the day-- after lunch and two shops. And don't forget that we still had two hours driving to get home that night.

My friend was visiting me from the other side of the country and will never see MIL again.  I love my mother-in-law and have no issue visiting with her, but not at the expense of my friend's vacation time.  And we were both pretty polite when he asked, "Do you want to stop in and meet my mom?" and we both said, "Now is not the time."

Oh! And to top it off, MIL ushered us out (politely) after about a half hour, as she had plans that evening and wasn't expecting company.  Which makes me smile.  And smile.  And smile.

Friend and I learned a valuable lesson that day.  The next time she visits and we want to go to MILtown to shop, we're taking the train and leaving the Dude at home.

Yeah, that is ridiculous.

I have had some great impromptu visits with  previously unknown family of friends. That sort of visit would not be one of them.

spookycatlady

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 07:41:43 AM »
OP here.

Ah. The power of Facebook. I posted about his trip and tagged him. He and my family are now sorting things out on my wall.

I'm still left with the fact that he will think its okay to do the same for me which is a firm Do Not Want.  But I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

It's funny, I can see that they are all tickled to be meeting, but if he had done the same for me, I'd be really miffed.

edited for a typo
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:05:42 AM by spookycatlady »

charlatan

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 01:10:25 PM »
I feel the same as you regarding these kind of meetups, spookycatlady, but I think it's sweet that your husband is so into meeting your family.

IrishGenes

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 09:24:01 PM »

Anyhoodles…

I now have a new favorite expression!  Thank you!  :D
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."  ~ The Talmud