Author Topic: Suggestions for Prizes for Super Bowl Pool?  (Read 502 times)

Kaypeep

Suggestions for Prizes for Super Bowl Pool?
« on: January 29, 2013, 03:03:24 PM »
I run a free Superbowl Pool among my friends.  It's just for fun, and I provide the prizes to the winners.  Last year I had cool keychains that let you store fortunes from fortune cookies.  I bought them here:
http://fortunekeeper.com/

Now, I need help coming up with prizes for this year.  I need something unisex, preferably not more than $15 each.  I'd like to order it online because I don't have time to run around and shop.

Does anyone have any ideas???

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Suggestions for Prizes for Super Bowl Pool?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:31:40 PM »
If you search eBay for pocketwatches under $4, you can find a huge variety for really cheap.  I buy them for $2-$3 each (free shipping) and use them to make necklaces, but a pocketwatch can be worn on a necklace chain or as a keychain and there are a ton of styles, ranging from vintage-looking to skulls or footballs or trains.  The downside is most of the cheap ones with free shipping have to be mailed from Asia, so it takes a few weeks to get to the US.  If you don't mind paying slightly more you can find US resellers with shorter shipping times, if that matters.

sevenday

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »
You could check out orientaltrading.com.  They sell "medals" and other gag stuff that could be useful.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 04:19:15 PM »
I was just going to suggest them - perhaps a couple medals, some inflatable footballs, etc?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Rohanna

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 04:29:06 PM »
Something off thinkgeeks under 10 or under 20 page?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/giftsunder10/
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Kaypeep

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 05:10:31 PM »
Thanks for these suggestions. I like the pocketwatch idea.  I'm not keen on the gag gifts idea, I've given out real prizes in the past and want to continue doing so, only I've run out of ideas.  I've checked out THINKGEEK and they have a few good ideas but most of the good things are currently out of stock!  Please keep the ideas coming, though.  I'm probably going to order stuff on Thursday.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »
Can you get some kind of merchandise from the participating teams?  I know the NFL has a website featuring the teams.  I went to the Minnesota Vikings site from there (because my son likes them) and they have nice hats for reasonable price.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:39:46 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 07:55:23 PM »
Tervis tumblers!  I love my tervis...especially since I discovered their sippy lids.  Lots of styles/patterns to choose from...could probably even find ones with NFL teams specific to the Super Bowl.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »
Everybody likes cash!

Kaypeep

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 02:05:56 PM »
Tervis tumblers!  I love my tervis...especially since I discovered their sippy lids.  Lots of styles/patterns to choose from...could probably even find ones with NFL teams specific to the Super Bowl.

Oooh, I love these!  I think I 'm going to go with this, as I can order a customized one for each winner based on their interests! 

I still love the pocketwatch suggestion though, I may use this as a prize in another contest I do with my friends!

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions!