Author Topic: Portland Street Signs  (Read 1440 times)

gorplady

• “Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat”
    • PerfectDuluthDay
Re: Portland Street Signs
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »
It's still vandalism. And while I doubt the alteration will cause accidents, I would hate to see someone try to up the ante - "Oh, it would be REALLY funny if I STOLE THE ENTIRE SIGN!"

That happens, regardless of if the sign was altered or not.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 02:52:31 PM »
It's still vandalism. And while I doubt the alteration will cause accidents, I would hate to see someone try to up the ante - "Oh, it would be REALLY funny if I STOLE THE ENTIRE SIGN!"

Yes, which is why I dislike seeing any tampering with safety signs being given a free pass.

Plus, the taxpayers are going to foot a bill for someone from public works to go around and peel off all those stickers.

As funny as you might think it is, is it worth giving a pass to vandalizing public property?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Van down by the river

• This must be what going mad feels like.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 03:12:53 PM »
Yes. I think it's hilarious. I might have texted the link to my brothers and a cousin. Look at it this way, it might be creating a new job for someone that was out if work! ;D
What would his job title be I wonder?

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 03:17:29 PM »
Yes. I think it's hilarious. I might have texted the link to my brothers and a cousin. Look at it this way, it might be creating a new job for someone that was out if work! ;D
What would his job title be I wonder?

Pooper Scooper Scraper   ;D

gorplady

• “Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat”
    • PerfectDuluthDay
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 04:26:04 PM »

Yes, which is why I dislike seeing any tampering with safety signs being given a free pass.

Plus, the taxpayers are going to foot a bill for someone from public works to go around and peel off all those stickers.

As funny as you might think it is, is it worth giving a pass to vandalizing public property?

While I don't generally advocate breaking the law, I don't think a judge is going to throw the book at someone for this. They may fine them, but I don't think they're going to do hard time.

Minmom3

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 11:53:31 PM »
Actually, I don't find vandalism of public property, particularly messing with safety signs, terribly witty.

I agree.

Well, I agree and disagree.  The alterations look like a cling on, which means they will most likely come right off at some point.  PLUS, you still know it's a stop sign, it's like a stop sign pun.  You KNOW you're supposed to stop, and scofflaws aren't any more likely to fail to stop because it says poop instead of stop, than they are to run it in the first place.  I think it's amusing and harmless - in THIS instance.  Here, I don't think it's vandalism.  And it makes people laugh and talk about it, and raising awareness of colon cancer isn't a bad thing...  Real vandalism, where damage is permanent and will cost somebody money to return to 'normal' is different than I think this particular case is.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

delabela

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 12:12:39 AM »
Perhaps I'm juvenile, but it would make me laugh if I drove by (it does make a difference to me that it doesn't change the efficacy of the sign).

demarco

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 02:34:01 PM »
I don't think the sign is all that funny and I think that someone, eventually is going to be confused by it.  It 's not worth it.