Author Topic: The Proposed Gathering.  (Read 5107 times)

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
Re: The Proposed Gathering.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 01:34:41 AM »
Sometimes, if is explained, even a resort will try to go above and beyond to make an event special.

Maybe when you do get someone on the phone they will want to give you great customer service and even become the "new" friend who makes the place so special.

You can't expect it but it could work out.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 08:06:52 AM »
According to her children, this is not something that has come with advancing age.   MIL has always been a bit delusional about 'friends'. If she attends a book signing and shakes hands with the author, they are friends.  If someone is written up in the local paper for doing something nice and MIL has said 'Hello" to that person in the post office, they are friends.

Back in the 1980s MIL and FIL bought a time-share at the resort in question.  They met several members of the notable family.  In MIL's mind, that means they are friends of that family.  She remembers them fondly.  Therefore, they must remember her fondly.  Unfortunately, that's not always the way things work. 

I don't know why people would feed a delusion that (like this one does) is bound to end poorly.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:09:05 AM by Hotdish »
Words mean things.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 10:07:02 AM »
I don't understand why she expect strangers to treat her like friends.  Even if the original owners remember her fondly, they are no longer there.  I'm completely mystified.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 11:02:44 AM »
MIL has always been very concerned with the way things should be rather than as they are. 

Anyway, the question is no longer relevant.  She has been sent a contract and we will be going to her preferred place.  All we need to do now is book our flights. 

Thanks again to all for the thoughtful and useful comments.