Author Topic: Forty Years of KISS - The Band  (Read 525 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Forty Years of KISS - The Band
« on: January 30, 2013, 12:20:01 PM »
I saw an article headline on Yahoo! today.

KISS (the rock band) appeared for the first time as KISS forty years ago.

Forty years ago, I was still in high school.

My mind is boggling.

But I would bet that my daughter's mind is a little boggled, too - she was shocked & amazed when I started singing along with KISS while driving one day while she was in high school about ten or twelve years ago.  I'm not sure if it was because I knew the words or because I liked the song.....but she'd never thought about KISS being a band (even with changing a few of the members) since  1973.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

2littlemonkeys

Re: Forty Years of KISS - The Band
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »
I saw them in concert many years ago in college.  That was a fun show.

I have similar conversations about My Little Pony and Hello Kitty.  They can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea that I played with that stuff too.  Even when presented with a couple of Gen 1 ponies and the circa 1983 show stable.

Syfygeek

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 01:07:55 PM »
My first KISS concert was in 1977, with my first date, and I've been to at least one concert for all but 3 (or 4) tours.

I went to a KISS concert with 3 friends in 1987, 3 out of the 4 of us were pregnant (even though 2 of us didn't know it yet).  I tell my DS he likes KISS because he heard them in the womb.

Wow, 40 years- what a way to Rock n Roll All Nite (and party everyday)

That's my purse! I don't know you!

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 02:55:03 PM »
Scary isn't it, how time flies!  40 years now, wow. 

I went to a KISS concert in Brisbane in '81 I think.  I had worked night duty the night before and drove the 3 hours there without sleeping, kipped in the car a bit and partied all night.

The second time I saw them was the 35th Anniversary Tour.  Total KISS awesomeness!  I was sitting on the side of the stage, rather than in front, about 3 rows from the front and nobody in front of me, right near Gene.  Who played up to my fangirl self all show.  Bliss!!

The only other concert I've enjoyed that much was Alice Cooper.  I paid to be right up the front (huuuuuge fan!) and when he got 'decapitated' I got a fake blood splash right in the face. 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
I remember the early 80's (maybe late 70's) movie "Runaway" with Tom Selleck and a really creepy villain played by Gene Simmons.

It took some friends a lot of talking in order to convince me that this was the Gene Simmons from KISS.

Has anyone ever seen the other band members without their make-up on?

Happy Birthday KISS! ;D

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 02:03:22 AM »
I loved I was made for loving you and dreamed that Gene Simmonds was my uncle (at 10 I was too young to be his girlfriend) and whisk me away for a life on the road with the band.  I also painted my dolls faces like the band (I was 10 at the time). Love them!

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 01:08:40 PM »
I saw an article headline on Yahoo! today.

KISS (the rock band) appeared for the first time as KISS forty years ago.

Forty years ago, I was still in high school.

My mind is boggling.

But I would bet that my daughter's mind is a little boggled, too - she was shocked & amazed when I started singing along with KISS while driving one day while she was in high school about ten or twelve years ago.  I'm not sure if it was because I knew the words or because I liked the song.....but she'd never thought about KISS being a band (even with changing a few of the members) since  1973.

My shock and amazement was mostly because I'd never ever heard you listen to them before, so you knowing the words was mind-boggling. Your sister owning Alice Cooper on vinyl had the same effect. KISS being around since the 70's was not a surprise. I knew that much.

Lynnv

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »
Wow.  I can't believe they (and I) have been around so darned long.  I was only a few years old when they got started-but started getting into them about the same time as I got old enough to hate most of what my folks listened to (am country).   My mom actually likes KISS okay as long as I don't tell her who it is.  :>
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein