Poll

What do you think of someone wearing sunglasses indoors?

Fine/neutral
140 (68.6%)
Rude
15 (7.4%)
Creepy
15 (7.4%)
Different answer (what?)
34 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Author Topic: Wearing shades indoors  (Read 4768 times)

NbyNW

Re: Wearing shades indoors
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »
It kind of depends on the reason for the shades (which I admit I may not be privy to). 1) If you are having eye issues it seems fine to me and I would feel sympathetic because I would find wearing shades indoors to be a bother. 2) If you are wearing them because it seems to be a cool thing to do I would think it very affected and pretentious. Since people don't always tell you their reasons for doing things like this I would default to no. 1.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 06:33:39 PM »
I'd assume there was either a medical reason or else you had the ones that are supposed to automatically adjust and don't. My college roommate had those and they never worked right. It got me really used to seeing shades indoors all the time.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 06:58:53 PM »
I might think it odd for about a half second and then I'd totally forget about it.  I know my grandmother's glasses were supposed to auto-adjust and always seemed to be really delayed in adjusting in both directions. So I might think of her (even though she's been dead for more than 20 years).

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 07:07:08 PM »
I do it all the time - keeps the paparazzi away. Seriously, I'm too lazy to take them off if I'm dashing in and out, but I will remove them if I'm having a conversation with someone.

demarco

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »
I used to wear the adjusting ones. They would darken fast when I went out but lightened up very slowly when I went in.  If I just dashed in somewhere they wouldn't lighten up until I was leaving the store. So, sometimes I'd be wearing shades indoors and used to  feel a little self conscious about it.

I've gone back to regular prescription shades. It is a pain to switch back and forth between prescription shades and regular glasses so I might keep my shades on if I'm running in and sometimes I even forget I'm wearing them. I might feel a little odd about it but not odd enough to care that much.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 08:42:51 PM »
I vote fine/neutral but then I wear prescription sunglasses that are so clear I forget I'm wearing them unless I walk into a dark store.  Most people don't notice...I think

Belle

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »
I'm not sure why it would be considered rude unless you're in a situation where eye contact is particularly important. I've worn sunglasses inside for several reasons. Most commonly, I forgot to grab my regular prescription glasses before entering the store (and I can't see without them). If I'm running in quickly, e.g., paying for gas, I don't bother to switch them out. Also, I have visual, migraine-like symptoms sometimes - flashing lights and floaters - that are exacerbated by bright light. Just this week I wore sunglasses at work because my office was too bright, even with the blinds down and my lights off.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 08:51:01 PM »
I voted fine neutral - Would have like nobody's business.

I had a classmate who wore very dark glasses. He lost his sight falling off a roof (brain injury).  He knew the way his eyes "looked" didn't focus freaked some people out. So he felt he had more of a level playing field with the glasses on. If a sub tried to make him remove them - everyone spoke up to defend him.

I've had students who wore various tints for medical reasons. Most of them had some form of dyslexia that involved eye problems that are aggravated with fluorescent lights (often they strobe). Others had issues with headaches or other vision problems that tinting helped.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 09:01:13 PM »
When I see someone wearing sunglasses inside, I just think that they need to for some reason.  And it doesn't bother me at all.

I will wear lighter tinted glasses inside when I have a migraine.  And I have yellow lenses that I'll wear under fluorescent lights if they are bothering me.  I was just doing some training and the instructor must have noticed and started turning the lights off when we had stuff on the screen.  Neither of us said anything; I just wore my glasses when the lights were on.

The only time I've seen sunglasses be questioned is at a ball game.  The guy carting the beer around insisted that one guy remove his dark sunglasses before beer guy would sell him a beer.  I think it had to do with trying to determine if the guy was drunk or not.  Guy refused; beer guy refused to serve him.  He didn't make me take my glasses off but mine were lighter in tint and I also hadn't been ordering beer all game.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 09:04:31 PM »
I voted other.  If your running in and out, no issue.  If you have a condition that requires limited light, no issue.  But if your out a at a club/restaurant partying and you keep your shades on, I find it odd.

Adelaide

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 09:08:14 PM »
When I have a black eye or I got my eyes dilated, I'll wear them indoors. Other than that I don't. I think it does look a little off, but I wouldn't necessarily classify it as "rude".

AngelicGamer

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 11:54:20 PM »
Depending on how my eyes are, I might need to keep my sunglasses on inside due to fluorescent lighting.  I have glare issues due to my eye disease - I'll go for someone thinking I'm weird if i don't strain my eyes and give myself a headache. 

And yes, I do wear my sunglasses at night.   ;D  Easier on me due to headlight glare.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 12:00:26 AM »
And yes, I do wear my sunglasses at night.   ;D  Easier on me due to headlight glare.

in other words, so you can, so you can
See the light that's right before your eyes?

8)

Rohanna

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 12:12:59 AM »
I'm not allowed to wear them at work even when I'm hovering around a migraine, because (and I agree) eye-contact is important at my job. Instead we just make sure to put the blinds down and I wear a hat with a visor (technically against dress code but allowable for medical reasons). It happens so rarely it's not a big issue for me- if it was more frequent I'd probably have to switch to a position without patient-interaction so I could wear glasses.

For every day errands I don't consider it a problem and have had to do so occasionally myself. If I had to socialize and wear them, I'd try to make sure i didn't have "mirrored" glasses on, pick a pair where at close range you could at least see my eyes somewhat, if possible, and explain briefly to my friends why I was wearing them. Nothing extensive- but just so they weren't confused/uncomfortable or thinking I was being "stand-offish ("Sorry, I feel a migraine coming on, so the glasses are staying put today"- or something like that)/

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

jalutaja

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 03:40:31 AM »
I did vote different.

As I have had such glasses and as I assume other people are like me - able to afford only one pair of glasses at a time*, so I would think that they have glasses that do change fast enough.

In fact - after some years my glasses remained tinted all the time

* currently I have splurged on pair of dark lenses one puts on top of the usual glasses - it makes me look weird, but as after certain age woman became invisivble anyway, so it makes no difference how I look.