Poll

What do you think of someone wearing sunglasses indoors?

Fine/neutral
140 (68.6%)
Rude
15 (7.4%)
Creepy
15 (7.4%)
Different answer (what?)
34 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Author Topic: Wearing shades indoors  (Read 5381 times)

Sign Of The Times

• Padawan
Wearing shades indoors
« on: January 30, 2013, 04:29:40 PM »
Sometimes I go to the grocery store for the pharmacy and only that. This often happens on a sunny day, so I'm wearing my prescription shades. When I go in, I could either swap out my glasses (hassle) or go without (fuzzy), but I prefer to just leave them on.

Someone told me it's rude to wear them indoors. I replied that that's only for hats, but she says no. What's the rule on sunglasses?
The best way out is always through. -- Frost

sweetonsno

Re: Wearing shades indoors
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:32:05 PM »
I vote "weird." I don't think it's rude in most cases, though it does interfere with one's ability to look you in the eye. It would only be creepy if combined with some other sketchy behavior. I can't say that I think it is neutral, though. Unless you've just had your eyes dilated at the optometrist (do they even do that any more?), it doesn't strike me as a very practical decision. I'd probably assume that the person doing it was trying to look cool.

Sign Of The Times

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 04:34:18 PM »
I vote "weird." I don't think it's rude in most cases, though it does interfere with one's ability to look you in the eye. It would only be creepy if combined with some other sketchy behavior. I can't say that I think it is neutral, though. Unless you've just had your eyes dilated at the optometrist (do they even do that any more?), it doesn't strike me as a very practical decision. I'd probably assume that the person doing it was trying to look cool.
I don't suppose we have any pharmacists here? Because I'm wondering if there's some special stigma (socially not optically) inherent with shades when trying to pick up prescription pills. Anyone?

gorplady

• “Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat”
    • PerfectDuluthDay
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:52:57 PM »
It doesn't matter to me. You may have a reason to wear them.

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »
I quite often wear my sunglasses inside stores in the summer because I have forgotten my regular glasses in the car. 

dawbs

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »
I wear shades indoors often...I have 'persistent chronic migraines' which, with good meds, are a manageable (mostly) headache w/ light and sound sensitivity.
I have gotten a lot of comments/questions.  Some are 'trying to be funny' comments(which, FTR, I don't mine.  I claim it's my Yoko Ono impression  ;)), some are intrusive ("Why are you wearing sunglasses" is touch intrusive but I don't immediately rankle at it--although it can be asked in either neutral or incredibly hateful/accusatory/condescending tone of voice), and some are insulting ("what, did you party to hard last night?"  "trying to hide your face?")

I don't tend to share my medical reasons but the people who imply, while I'm at work-in front of my boss, that I"m hungover have gotten an (icily polite) earful.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 05:00:30 PM »
And then there's me, w/ my sun-darkening regular glasses.

I wet to lunch w/a  friend, and we went into the restaurant, sat down across from each other, and started to laugh. We both had "shades" on because our lenses hadn't lightened up yet.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
I voted neutral. I can't see how people with transition lenses should take them off. One of my coworkers is going around today with sunglasses on due to migraines, and honestly it didn't even occur to me that she was wearing them until she apologized!

However many banks prefer patrons who aren't wearing sunglasses (mine has a sign up).
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 05:02:43 PM »
I voted "fine/neutral".  While it's not often I notice people wearing shades indoors, I would just assume there was a reason for it.  A reason much along the lines of what previous posters have chimed in with. 

Or.... I might think you were a celebrity buying cauliflower on the down-low  8)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 05:02:56 PM »
Two words:  Roy Orbison

Made it his trademark look.

Sign Of The Times

• Padawan
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 05:04:45 PM »
Oh right -- Catfu in the bank, I definitely remove them. (The line is usually long enough for my eyes to adjust.)

Tabby, today is one of those days when I wish I were.

Dotty: You got it!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »
I think it looks a bit weird, but it doesn't really bug me.  Sometimes it makes me break out into annoying mental songs though, and that bugs me.  I mean yeah your in the store now, but its clearly a quick trip so you are anticipating your future, to go outside soon, is so bright, you gotta where your shades?  What next, will you be wearing your sunglasses at night?

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 06:05:22 PM »
It doesn't affect me one way or the other, so I really don't care.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 06:12:17 PM »
  What next, will you be wearing your sunglasses at night?

Great, now I've got that song stuck in my head...  8)
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 06:16:34 PM »
I don't do it very often, but while it might look odd, I wouldn't call it rude. In some cases there are medical reasons, or other practical ones: I once wore prescription sunglasses at work for three days, while waiting for my regular prescription eyeglasses to be repaired.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.