Poll

What do you think of someone wearing sunglasses indoors?

Fine/neutral
140 (68.6%)
Rude
15 (7.4%)
Creepy
15 (7.4%)
Different answer (what?)
34 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Author Topic: Wearing shades indoors  (Read 5171 times)

Geekychick1984

Re: Wearing shades indoors
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 06:14:57 AM »
I vote neutral.  I honestly don't see why anyone would care.  It's no one else's business (unless it's an issue with a work dress code or something).

wyliefool

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 08:32:56 AM »
Fine, especially if they're prescription. DH wears glasses and there's no way he's carrying around 2 pairs and swapping them out all day if we're on an excursion somewhere. He'd wind up losing one or dropping it or something. I usually take mine off, but they're not scrip and they make it hard to see indoors.

My MIL often forgets she has her (scrip) sunglasses on and when I remind her exclaims 'oh it's not nighttime yet!'  :D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 08:35:05 AM »
Neutral because we both wear transition lenses and it's pretty obvious that these aren't sunglasses per se. 

Seeing others with sunglasses indoors doesn't bother us at all.

audrey1962

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 08:53:17 AM »
Not rude for the reasons others have provided. And while medical reasons have been mentioned already, I'd like to single out glaucoma. Those glasses are UGLY, but necessary.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 09:45:40 AM »
I think people in general want to be able to see other people's eyes.
However, if you have a legitimate need to wear them, then ya gotta do what you gotta do.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 09:52:56 AM »
I had to wear shades indoors recently due to a mild laceration making my right eye extra sensitive to light. When I wore my shades, it was nowhere near as painful.

Everybody at work was cool with it.

Honestly, why would it be rude if it does not affect a second person in any way?

Unless the shades are so dark it is a safety hazard, that is. But in my case, they were not.
I have pet mice!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 10:11:08 AM »
I don't see any issue with it at all. Some people do it due to medical reasons, others becuase its easier than switching from sunglasses to regular ones, and others, well, they just do.

Doens't bother me in the least. And half the time, I probably don't even notice.  I wore them insidie once after going to the eye dr. as my eyes were QUITE sensitive to light, and even with them on, I still had some issue. Had I not had something that needed to be done that afternoon, I would have simply gone straight home. as it was, I did my task, then left.

Isisnin

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »
I should've read the OP's post before I voted rude!

To just go into a store or some public place like that, not rude.  Just like it's okay to not take your hat or coat off.

But when you're spending time in a home or office and talking to people for lengths of time, it's rude (except for medical reasons).  Eyes are an important part of communication and to not let the person you're speaking to see your eyes (again, except for medical reasons), it's like your back is turned to them.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »
I wouldn't even notice unless we were having a conversation. If we are having a conversation, I really need to see your eyes or I feel like I'm talking to a cyborg. 
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 11:22:02 AM »
Not rude for the reasons others have provided. And while medical reasons have been mentioned already, I'd like to single out glaucoma. Those glasses are UGLY, but necessary.

Do you mean the cataract after surgery dark glasses?  Because I have glaucoma, my dad has glaucoma (and had the surgery on both eyes), my grandmother had glaucoma, a few friends have it, etc and never has anyone ever had to wear dark glasses as part of the disease, ever (unless you are counting for an hour or so after dilation at a yearly eye exam, at which point you choose your own glasses to wear).  Glaucoma has nothing to do with light, it creates pin vision. Now cataracts on the other hand... after the (rather common) surgery, people's eyes are very very sensitive to light and they wear those giant black plastic sunglasses.

magicdomino

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »
I figure there is a medical reason for the glasses and ignore them.  Even if it is just to look cool, I don't care.  I'm not real big on staring into the windows of other people's souls anyway.   ;)

mstigerlily

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »
Glaucoma has nothing to do with light, it creates pin vision. Now cataracts on the other hand... after the (rather common) surgery, people's eyes are very very sensitive to light and they wear those giant black plastic sunglasses.

Actually that's not true, different types of glaucoma can be affected by light. I know someone with glaucoma whose condition makes them particularly sensitive to glare so he wears cataract sunglasses quite often, even indoors if there is a lot of sunlight or glaring lights.

Because of cases like that I vote not rude.

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 12:27:07 PM »
I much prefer to talk to someone when I am able to look into their eyes. I just feel like the contact is more personal. So, I typically remove my glasses prior to interacting with someone. However, many posters have provided good reasons for wearing them and I don't know that etiquette says that you shouldn't.

Last summer, I took a trip into Canada from the States. The Canadian border officer was wearing these shades that greatly intimidated me... I'm sure that was the reasoning!!! Had she removed her glasses, I would have found her to be more warm and fuzzy. She was excellent at her job!!!

Emmy

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 12:30:50 PM »
I remember in college, a friend of mine dated a really odd guy.  One time we went on a double date to a restaurant in the evening (we ate indoors) and he wore his sunglasses the whole time.  That incident was just one of the many incidences of strange behavior we saw from him.  We saw him on other occasions without sunglasses so I assume he didn't have a medical issue.  Every time I hear the song "I wear my sunglasses at night", I think of that guy.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing sunglasses for a quick trip to the drug store or similar errands and I certainly don't see how that is rude.  That is something I would probably not even notice.  Like others have said, in circumstances where eye contact is expected, wearing sunglasses would be a bit odd.   

mmswm

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 12:34:55 PM »
I'm horrible about forgetting to put my regular glasses in my purse and finding myself in a store with just my sunglasses.  This was never a problem before I started wear bifocals a couple years ago.  Now I find myself in stores, wearing my sunglasses, looking doofy, and being unable to read labels. 

I generally assume somebody wearing sunglasses indoors to either be dealing with a medical issue or forgot to switch out their sunglasses for their regular ones.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)