Poll

What do you think of someone wearing sunglasses indoors?

Fine/neutral
140 (68.6%)
Rude
15 (7.4%)
Creepy
15 (7.4%)
Different answer (what?)
34 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Author Topic: Wearing shades indoors  (Read 5218 times)

BeagleMommy

Re: Wearing shades indoors
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2013, 01:38:36 PM »
I voted different.  After having two eye surgeries in one year I was given "fit over" sunglasses to wear over my regular prescription glasses.  In the first few weeks after the surgery any type of light made my eyes very sensitive so I wore the fit overs inside as well as outside.  My physical therapist referred to this as my "Bono stage"  8) ;D.

Thankfully, I found a company that makes very attractive fit overs so I don't look like I'm wearing black goggles.

Cosmasia

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2013, 06:36:18 PM »
Voted fine.

I have anxiety and I found out that wearing dark tinted sunglasses somehow made me feel less horrible, I'm guessing because I feel hidden when wearing them.

Sometimes I wear them while shopping because of that and/or because I look particularly bad that day. Or because my eyes are being sensitive to light.

I'd like to also note that mine are red and heart shaped. So yeah, it might look attention seeking to some people.

Honestly there are so many reasons for someone to wear them indoors, I really don't get why anyone would automatically assume the "worst", which still doesn't affect them anyway. :P
Da hun kom tilbage, havde hun hundrede ting at fortælle.

Margo

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2013, 08:49:09 AM »
Fine.

In my case, I can think of 3 situations where I'd be wearing sunglasses indoors without having any wish to look cool ..

I wear prescription glasses. I need to wear them (or contacts)  all the time. My current lenses are the 'transitions' ones which darken automatically. As they get older, they seem to get slower to react so it could often seem that I'm wearing sunglasses when it is simply that they haven't 'cleared' yet.

If I'm wearing contacts and it's sunny then I may wear sunglasses as well - and then, because I'm used to wearing glasses all the time I just forget I have them on even indoors.

I have prescription sunglasses. If  I haven't also got my regular glasses with me (or if I'm only going to be indoors for a short period and it's not worth changing them) then I'll wear the sunglasses insider because otherwise I can't see.

And as PPs have said, there may be lots of medical reasons why someone would be doing this.

I think it is a little situational, though - because of the lack of eye contact it could feel rude if you are (say) speaking to someone one-on-one in a social setting, so in those sorts of situations if someone looked uncomfortable I'd  mention that I've leaving them on bacuase I forgot my normal specs, or that the lenses would lighten up given time, or whatever.

mmswm

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2013, 10:41:10 PM »
I had to post on this thread because I'm walking around the house, in the dark, with my sunglasses on.  Even the light of the stars seems to be too bright.  A major migraine hit me late this afternoon and I can finally function enough to use the computer, but only barely.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Itza

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2013, 07:11:42 AM »
I chose 'Different Answer' because when I first started working, a guy in the office wore heavily tinted glasses indoors. He had some sort of issue with his eyes that he had to keep these tints on, even indoors.

www.opendiary.com/hear_me
Disclaimer: Not for the faint hearted

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2013, 09:05:11 AM »
I suppose it all depends on how bright your future is.  ;)

(But seriously, fine/neutral/NOYB)

gena264

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2013, 10:46:25 AM »
I wear my prescription sunglasses almost all day , everywhere, until it gets dark outside. I have something wrong with my eyes ( I forgot the technical name for it now) that makes my eyes feel more comfortable with sunglasses on. I also have tinted prescription eyeglasses, but those are just not tinted enough in places like Target or Walmart where the lights in there are so bright.

schweinsty

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2013, 09:25:43 PM »
I voted fine. I'm photosensitive, and in some stores it can be bright enough that it makes my eyes ache, so sometimes I keep my sunglasses on inside. I don't see why it would be such a big deal.

LEMon

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2013, 11:33:56 PM »
Medically necessary most of the time in my case to wear sunglasses in stores, in movie theaters, at friend's houses (I spent the Superbowl wearing my sunglasses, and no one felt that was rude), at church, most everywhere.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »
I voted fine/neutral.  I'm another who would have liked to see a choice of 'none of my business.'