General Etiquette > Life...in general

Dude, is this rude?

(1/13) > >>

Sign Of The Times:
A situation seems to come up every year during the Super Bowl. I figure I'll ask here. I'm pretty certain that etiquette forbids men from addressing women who aren't SO's as "honey," "sweetie," so forth. Except maybe in the South where it's OK.

My friend's wife Raquel, I have no intention of addressing as such. However, I would say things like "Dude pass the beer" or "dude, I was sitting there." To Raquel.

I realize that this is some form of laziness. If I want chips from a guy whom I don't immediately recognize, "Dude pass the chips." If it's a woman whose name I don't remember, it's easiest to just say "dude" in some generic, gender-neutral sense. That's the situation I'm asking about.

Is "dude" an acceptable stand-in for a name, from a man to a woman?

stargazer:
I think it's fine, but this is coming from someone who exclaimed "DUDE!" to my female manager when I thought of something I wanted to tell her while we were talking.  Thankfully she laughed and just said it must be important.

Sign Of The Times:

--- Quote from: stargazer on January 30, 2013, 05:20:50 PM ---I think it's fine, but this is coming from someone who exclaimed "DUDE!" to my female manager when I thought of something I wanted to tell her while we were talking.  Thankfully she laughed and just said it must be important.

--- End quote ---
Duuuuu-ude!  :)

stargazer:

--- Quote from: Sign Of The Times on January 30, 2013, 05:21:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: stargazer on January 30, 2013, 05:20:50 PM ---I think it's fine, but this is coming from someone who exclaimed "DUDE!" to my female manager when I thought of something I wanted to tell her while we were talking.  Thankfully she laughed and just said it must be important.

--- End quote ---
Duuuuu-ude!  :)

--- End quote ---

Exactly :)

gorplady:
Dude, you are way, way, over- thinking it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version