Author Topic: Was I justified going over my supervisor's head on this one? Angry post #15  (Read 7654 times)

sarahj21

Re: Was I justified going over my supervisor's head on this one?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 09:36:56 AM »
Now I'm angry. I was paid the extra normal rate hours I was owed for the time I didn't work.

I was supposed to have my already-paid normal rate hours subtracted, and overtime rate paid for those hours. This hasn't happened. I'm lucky that I wasn't counting on the money but I won't rest until it's fixed. :( I wrote an extremely clear note to pay lady and attached it to a copy of my pay slip so she has no excuse for not fixing this. Even if she needed my manager's permission to add the overtime rate, my manager already told me she understood what had been done and would get my overtime rate paid. :(

MrTango

Re: Was I justified going over my supervisor's head on this one? Angry post #15
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 09:55:42 AM »
Oh, that's just irritating.

At this point, I'd recommend that if there are any further issues with your pay, you go directly to the union steward/rep rather than to your boss or the payroll person.

postalslave

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 10:20:17 AM »
Agreed with MrTango. Escalate to your union, ensure they know this is an ongoing issue.

I'd also go over your supervisor's again and let that person know your pay was still wrong. This is a huge issue. If my admins were not paying unionized employees correctly I would FREAK OUT. Especially if it was ongoing.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 11:43:55 AM »
Go to your union. That's what they're there for. They can apply pressure that you can't.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

BeagleMommy

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 01:41:04 PM »
Go to your union. That's what they're there for. They can apply pressure that you can't.

POD

Snooks

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 03:40:26 PM »

POD

Double POD.  Good luck with getting this sorted.  I suspect this may now be veering towards legal rather than etiquette.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »

Etiquette wise, I think I'd go to your manager (who seemed to understand that this is really a problem), and tell them that your pay wasn't corrected properly, and that this has happened multiple times before. Getting paid properly and on time is important, and knowing that your pay slips will be handled correctly is vital to this, so if it happens again, you'll talk to the union to lend weight to your complaint.

That gives your manager an official complaint (the former was a more casual, 'by the way...' sort of thing), and a chance to come down heavy on your supervisor and the pay lady, knowing that if they don't fix it, you'll bring in backup, and the problem will become official.

sarahj21

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 08:22:33 AM »

Etiquette wise, I think I'd go to your manager (who seemed to understand that this is really a problem), and tell them that your pay wasn't corrected properly, and that this has happened multiple times before. Getting paid properly and on time is important, and knowing that your pay slips will be handled correctly is vital to this, so if it happens again, you'll talk to the union to lend weight to your complaint.

That gives your manager an official complaint (the former was a more casual, 'by the way...' sort of thing), and a chance to come down heavy on your supervisor and the pay lady, knowing that if they don't fix it, you'll bring in backup, and the problem will become official.

Thanks blag314. I was able to speak with my manager and she had me write down again what the problem was. This time she'll give the note to pay lady personally. She also said she'd get this fixed and to come back next week if it isn't correct. Annoying but I'm pleased to have her on my side. She's a really good manager and always has my back. If I work my normal hours I never have a problem with my pay. Or even extra hours and it goes through fine. It's just this one time (plus the sick pay thing that we solved last week).

Mikayla

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 11:53:13 AM »
It sounds to me like you've handled this well and things are heading in the right direction.  But I don't agree your manager "always has your back", and you may need to re-think that.  After all the problems you've had, a manager who has your back wouldn't tell you to return next week if it's *still* a problem.  She'd tell you it will be fixed pronto.

I'm just saying this because if it does happen again, nothing has been accomplished after all this wasted time, and you'd need to take it to the next level.  There's no reason you can't alert her to this if you have a friendly relationship, but nobody should have to beg to be paid fairly.