General Etiquette > Life...in general

Well, there's an attitude toward tipping I've never seen before (Dear Abby 1-31)

<< < (2/6) > >>

Thipu1:
Absolutely wrong.  I wonder if the tip-jar dippers would consider scooping up tip money left on a table by other diners.

Yes, they probably would.  We're concerned about this and always wait at our table to make sure that the server gets our tip. 

The take-a-penny, leave-a-penny tray is one thing.  A tip jar is something very different.  I don't like tip jars but anything in them should be sacrosanct.   

Hmmmmm:
I think the idea of tip jars for counter service is so alien to some people that they really dot get the idea that these are tips and not spare change jars.  I think they either need to get rid of the tip jars or put up a big sign saying "Tips for the Staff"

Amava:
They need to get some sort of jar with a screw-on lid or a pop-out bottom, that can't be opened easily; and with a slit in the top so that the customers can easily put money into it but not take money out.
Kind of like a piggybank system. If necessary with a key.

Who on earth takes money out of a jar that is clearly marked "Tip jar"?

And by the way, what's up with the screaming. Are those customers raised by banshees or something, screaming in public like that.  :-\

Betelnut:

--- Quote from: Amava on January 31, 2013, 10:04:23 AM ---They need to get some sort of jar with a screw-on lid or a pop-out bottom, that can't be opened easily; and with a slit in the top so that the customers can easily put money into it but not take money out.
Kind of like a piggybank system. If necessary with a key.

Who on earth takes money out of a jar that is clearly marked "Tip jar"?

And by the way, what's up with the screaming. Are those customers raised by banshees or something, screaming in public like that.  :-\

--- End quote ---

I know OUR Bansidhe wouldn't do that!   ;D

WillyNilly:
Of course its stealing!

I actually did this once, but it was accidental and I totally apologized and put the money back.  I was in a Starbucks and they were using a clear plastic square with totally open top, sides only about 3 inches high, as a tip jar.  It only had a small handful of change in it (maybe they had just emptied it?) My total came to something like $2.03 and I had no change, so I dipped into the jar - I honestly thought it was a "take a penny, leave a penny" dish.  The look on the employees face made me question, and as soon as he confirmed no it was tips, I just pulled out another dollar.  I even left some of my change as a tip out of guilt.

I do think the jar needs to be well labelled (in the letter it says it is) and it should have a lid with a slot cut into it, like a piggy bank, to deter theft.  A "take a penny/leave a penny" dish is not a bad idea either if there is room on the counter for both.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version