Author Topic: Well, there's an attitude toward tipping I've never seen before (Dear Abby 1-31)  (Read 4807 times)

weeblewobble

Second letter down:

http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20130131

Short version: The LW works in a college campus donut shop and has had several people help themselves to the contents of her tip jar if they are running a few cents short in paying for their order.  When she objected, one lady called her selfish and told her that the money in the jar wasn't just for her.

I have NEVER seen this before!  Has anyone else ever seen customers take a proprietary attitude toward tip money that other people left behind?  Is it even remotely similar to the "take a penny" dish?  I am just boggled by this!

XRogue

No, this is totally not cool on the part of the customers. Taking money out of tip jars is a theft of money that belongs to the employee and of their time and service. :o

I work retail and the entitlement of some customers is mind-boggling.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
I'd never consider taking money from a tip jar! Have peoples' sense of entitlement become that bad?  :-\

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
I agree with Abby. It's theft - plain and simple. Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've read of such a thing happening.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
I hate tip jars, but this is rude and wrong.
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Absolutely wrong.  I wonder if the tip-jar dippers would consider scooping up tip money left on a table by other diners.

Yes, they probably would.  We're concerned about this and always wait at our table to make sure that the server gets our tip. 

The take-a-penny, leave-a-penny tray is one thing.  A tip jar is something very different.  I don't like tip jars but anything in them should be sacrosanct.   

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
I think the idea of tip jars for counter service is so alien to some people that they really dot get the idea that these are tips and not spare change jars.  I think they either need to get rid of the tip jars or put up a big sign saying "Tips for the Staff"

Amava

They need to get some sort of jar with a screw-on lid or a pop-out bottom, that can't be opened easily; and with a slit in the top so that the customers can easily put money into it but not take money out.
Kind of like a piggybank system. If necessary with a key.

Who on earth takes money out of a jar that is clearly marked "Tip jar"?

And by the way, what's up with the screaming. Are those customers raised by banshees or something, screaming in public like that.  :-\

Betelnut

They need to get some sort of jar with a screw-on lid or a pop-out bottom, that can't be opened easily; and with a slit in the top so that the customers can easily put money into it but not take money out.
Kind of like a piggybank system. If necessary with a key.

Who on earth takes money out of a jar that is clearly marked "Tip jar"?

And by the way, what's up with the screaming. Are those customers raised by banshees or something, screaming in public like that.  :-\

I know OUR Bansidhe wouldn't do that!   ;D
Native Texan, Marylander currently

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Of course its stealing!

I actually did this once, but it was accidental and I totally apologized and put the money back.  I was in a Starbucks and they were using a clear plastic square with totally open top, sides only about 3 inches high, as a tip jar.  It only had a small handful of change in it (maybe they had just emptied it?) My total came to something like $2.03 and I had no change, so I dipped into the jar - I honestly thought it was a "take a penny, leave a penny" dish.  The look on the employees face made me question, and as soon as he confirmed no it was tips, I just pulled out another dollar.  I even left some of my change as a tip out of guilt.

I do think the jar needs to be well labelled (in the letter it says it is) and it should have a lid with a slot cut into it, like a piggy bank, to deter theft.  A "take a penny/leave a penny" dish is not a bad idea either if there is room on the counter for both.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:38:22 AM by WillyNilly »

baritone108

In the US stealing tips is considered a federal offense since it is theft of wages.  (At least that's what I was told by restaurants back when I was a waitress.)

I agree with whomever said the tip jar should just have a slot in the top so people can't just reach in.

heartmug

The nerve.  No, that  is not cool at all.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

gellchom

"Who on earth takes money out of a jar that is clearly marked 'Tip jar'?"

Someone who can't read. 

Someone who has serious psychological issues.

No, of course it's still not okay for them to do it!  But there may be reasons - not excuses, but reasons - other than crass greed.

rose red

• Super Hero!
It's OK to make a mistake, but when they tell you it's a tip jar and not for customers, screaming makes her an entitled you-know-what.

Like a PP, for table top services, I also pay the bill and tip directly into the waiter's hand.  I trust no one because of stories like this.

BeagleMommy

Not only do I believe it, but I've seen it done.  A woman in line ahead of me at a donut shop was $1 short of her total.  She casually said "Oh, I'll just take it out of here.  You don't mind, do you?"  The cashier looked like this  :o, followed by this  >:(.  Another gentleman in line told her that she was stealing tips and suggested she downgrade her coffee to a small size.