Author Topic: Awesome field trip, but I'm exhausted.  (Read 651 times)

mmswm

Awesome field trip, but I'm exhausted.
« on: January 31, 2013, 10:09:39 AM »
My mom and I homeschool our kids.  The schools here are awful.  Yesterday we headed out to South Beach to have a lesson on the principles of waves and energy.  It was a totally awesome lesson and the kids were all excited to come home and tell Dad/Granddad everything they learned.  Unfortunately, we also had an unexpected lesson on the dangers of rip tides and how to perform a water rescue.  Thankfully I have beach rescue training and I'm smart enough to know my limits.  When we went out past our ankles, I took the two kids that were strong swimmers, leaving the moderate swimmer on the shore with my mother, and then brought the two back and took the moderate swimmer out by himself (I'm repeating the lesson with the oldest child on another day because I want to do a few things differently with him).  Anyway, lil bro got into a bit of trouble, panicked and didn't listen to my instructions.  He was caught in a rip tide, but I was able to get to him before he got pulled under. Water rescues are exhausting.  We took a rest and had a fabulous rest of the day, but this morning I'm wiped out.

Some pictures just cause I think this was one of the most awesome lessons ever.

Group photo:

We're "anchoring" ourselves with our hands, and feeling the motion of the waves as they push us back and forth:

Observing the difference in the water level before a wave approaches, while it's going over us, and after it passes.

Same as above, but with the other two kids.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

heartmug

Re: Awesome field trip, but I'm exhausted.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:52 AM »
What a great field trip!
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:24:25 PM »
Sound like a great fieldtrip. I'm glad you handled the unexpected lesson well and everything is fine!

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:39:15 PM »
Emotional exhaustion can be more tiring than the physical kind.  Glad all is well.