News:

• February 21, 2018, 07:39:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Home Inspections... what is your experience?  (Read 599 times)

Hmmmmm

Home Inspections... what is your experience?
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
We just had a home inspection done because we are refinancing before interest rates go up. With bought and sold houses and refinances, this is probably our 10th home inspection and I realized that there is a difference in the style of inspection for appraisal value for the refinance and the inspections being done for when actually buying and selling. But I've never actually had an inspector ask us to move any furniture or wall art.

For appraisal for the refinance, the guy measured the property, calculated square footage, noted age of roof and AC unit, visited the attic and garage, and took photos of each room to confirm there was no significant structural issues that would impact the value of the house. He also noted updates to the home and increased value due to pool and landscaping. I don't even think he turned on a faucet to make sure we had running water. He then ran neighborhood comps and came up with a fair market value.

When we've had homes inspected because we were going to purchase or sell the home, the inspections were much more in depth. Foundation level was noted at each point in the homes (big issue in our area), water pressure and temp was noted at each faucet, types of pipes and electrical cabling was noted, roof was inspected, outlets were checked (if they were visible, if behind furniture then not), and the external walls were walked and every crevice in the brick mortar was noted.

What have been your experiences? I was surprised that in the other thread someone was asked to move furniture and artwork so that each wall could be visibly inspected.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: Home Inspections... what is your experience?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 08:54:49 AM »
We've had two home inspections, same inspector.

The first house was slightly more difficult because some things didn't work, door wouldn't open, etc. He did turn on the water, find hot water, run each appliance and use a temperature measuring device for the oven, etc. That house was mostly empty, but had a few items in the garage and in one bedroom, but pulled away from the wall.

The second house was easier since there were no furnishings except for standard cabinets, shelves, and so on. The only space that had additional items was the garage, which had built in chip board cabinets, which he warned us about due to both insects and spilled paint and other chemicals.

In each property, he checked every single outlet, every light, every door/window, went into the attic, and went on the roof. He also inspected the pool, pool pump, and the water softener.

ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

YummyMummy66

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 09:35:35 AM »
It has been a while, (I used to work it the mortgage business before I had my youngest, who is now 19).

Having an home appraisal done and having a house inspection done are two different things.   I have never processed a refinance that required an inspection.  Usually, most people request an inspection done when purchasing a property.

An appraisal is done both when refinancing and/or purchasing a home. 

An inspection is a much more thorough process of the home, checking things like the water flow, heaters, roof, plumbing, possibly asking for furniture to be moved, checking outlets, etc.  This is usually paid for by the buyer who is purchasing the home to make sure things are in order before they sign the dotted line.  If something is found wrong, there might be some negotiating on how wrong item is to be fixed and at the whose cost, or I have had people back out of the deal due to what was wrong. 

An appraisal is basically the roots of the home to base an amount on to find comparables in your selling area to find out the worth of your home.  (How many rooms, square footage, bathrooms, and other things as you have mentioned, etc.).   An appraiser is not going to test the faucets when doing an appraisal or ask to move furniture, etc.   

At least, this has been my experience and what I am familiar with in PA. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:39:12 AM by YummyMummy66 »

Belle

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:35:35 AM »
Having an home appraisal done and having a house inspection done are two different things.   I have never processed a refinance that required an inspection.  Usually, most people request an inspection done when purchasing a property.

Yes, what YummyMummy said. Even though both may be in your house and "inspecting" it, they are not inspecting it for the same thing.

A home inspector is hired to identify potential maintenance problems with the home prior to purchase, e.g., foundation cracks, mold issues, electrical not up to code, carpet in bad shape. This person may want to move furniture if it is necessary to see important portions of the home (e.g., there was clearly a water leak in this wall - is this giant armoire hiding mold from it?).

An appraiser only cares about the details of the home as they pertain to its value. This is who may look at your house prior to a refinancing (as well as prior to an initial purchase). An appraiser won't care that there's a drip in the bathroom sink because it's not going to affect the overall value of the house, but a house inspector WILL want to make note of that because it's something a home purchaser will need to know.

The appraiser is more concerned with square footage, general age of major items like the roof, and the recent selling prices of comparable houses in your neighborhood. The house inspector won't care at all about the cost of other houses in the neighborhood - they're just there to tell you what type of shape the house is in.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:38:03 AM by Belle »

TracyXJ

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 03:53:41 PM »
We just had a home inspection done because we are refinancing before interest rates go up. With bought and sold houses and refinances, this is probably our 10th home inspection and I realized that there is a difference in the style of inspection for appraisal value for the refinance and the inspections being done for when actually buying and selling. But I've never actually had an inspector ask us to move any furniture or wall art.

For appraisal for the refinance, the guy measured the property, calculated square footage, noted age of roof and AC unit, visited the attic and garage, and took photos of each room to confirm there was no significant structural issues that would impact the value of the house. He also noted updates to the home and increased value due to pool and landscaping. I don't even think he turned on a faucet to make sure we had running water. He then ran neighborhood comps and came up with a fair market value.

When we've had homes inspected because we were going to purchase or sell the home, the inspections were much more in depth. Foundation level was noted at each point in the homes (big issue in our area), water pressure and temp was noted at each faucet, types of pipes and electrical cabling was noted, roof was inspected, outlets were checked (if they were visible, if behind furniture then not), and the external walls were walked and every crevice in the brick mortar was noted.

What have been your experiences? I was surprised that in the other thread someone was asked to move furniture and artwork so that each wall could be visibly inspected.

I'm jealous!  Our appraiser included nothing for landscaping, etc.  In fact, the massive deck we added to the house did nothing for the appraised value according to them.

Sirius

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 07:32:45 PM »
Our house was inspected before we signed the papers to buy it.  The inspector was very thorough, and since the house was empty we didn't have to move anything so he could see walls, but he did climb under the house and into the crawlspace under the roof (not a true attic) and came up with a list of things that either didn't pass inspection, like the shortcuts someone had taken with the kitchen sink plumbing, or things we should insist on, like a pile of replaced insulation that had been left in the crawlspace and should be removed.  He reinspected after the work was done, pronounced it well done, and we bought the house.