News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 12:55:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 751958 times)

DottyG

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2013, 02:33:26 PM »
Maybe that was part of the test?

That's actually crossed my mind as well. ;)

Luci

« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
My husband missed a final once because he misread the schedule. His professor understood and let him take it anyway because husband had no other problems thoughout the term. Husband has since figured out he has a mild case of dyslexia - his physics students pointed this out to him when he started teaching.

When Husband was teaching, a parent came to him to buy a grade. He never held that against the student.

Husband and I were taking a course together when he had to have a wisdom tooth removed. I was really hesitant to explain it to the professor; yeah, wife, just a tooth. She was so incredibly understanding and even offered help if we needed it!

I know a young lady who never had a problem in any high school class she was taking and then said she felt sick. The teacher wouldn't let her go to the nurse's office, but NO. Seven minutes later, the girl threw up and was sent to the nurse. Eight hours later said student was on the operating table with appendicitis. The teacher, we have heard, never, ever denies a student access to the nurse, almost to the point of where he can be taken adventage of now.

Shalamar

« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »
I'm a bit mortified to tell this.  :)  When I was in grade 9, my English teacher asked the class to write a short story.   The story was going to be a very small percentage of our grade, and I already had a really good grade in his class, so I didn't feel like putting a lot of effort into the assignment.  I had relatives in Britain at the time who occasionally sent me British comics, including a "scary" one called Shiver & Shake.  This comic had a pretty good ghost story, and so I quickly dashed off my own version.  I changed very little - even the closing line was the same ("John Smith never got out of that inferno alive ...").  I submitted it and didn't think anything more about it ...

... until my teacher told me that he'd been so impressed with the story, he'd arranged for it to be printed in the school yearbook.  I was horrified, but short of admitting what I'd done, there was no way to stop him.  So, anyone who attended that school in 1979 and still has that yearbook had evidence of my plagiarism, should they wish to bring me to justice after all these years!

Luci

« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »
I'm a bit mortified to tell this.  :)  When I was in grade 9, my English teacher asked the class to write a short story.   The story was going to be a very small percentage of our grade, and I already had a really good grade in his class, so I didn't feel like putting a lot of effort into the assignment.  I had relatives in Britain at the time who occasionally sent me British comics, including a "scary" one called Shiver & Shake.  This comic had a pretty good ghost story, and so I quickly dashed off my own version.  I changed very little - even the closing line was the same ("John Smith never got out of that inferno alive ...").  I submitted it and didn't think anything more about it ...

... until my teacher told me that he'd been so impressed with the story, he'd arranged for it to be printed in the school yearbook.  I was horrified, but short of admitting what I'd done, there was no way to stop him.  So, anyone who attended that school in 1979 and still has that yearbook had evidence of my plagiarism, should they wish to bring me to justice after all these years!

Oh, dear. If it was with your own way of writing, I certainly understand why you got away with this, and the guilt you feel.

Fortunately, I got caught the first two times. One was a kids' book in 6th grade. I just paraphrased each sentence in the article. Mr. D. just gave me an A, nice construction. I felt bad, but did learn about construction - more than I had learned about outlines in the next 7 years of my education!

The second was in college Speech. HATED that class. I was told my presentation was good SHOCK! but it sounded one dimensional, like a magazine article. Yup. "Life Magazine" a couple of years ago. He couldn't identify it, so I got a B. Fine with me.

I do remember using my dad's Works of William Shakespeare book for a reference, also. Daddy was a PE + Industrial Arts major, so you can imagine Shakespeare was not his focus! But, he had written in his book some side notes. I used those in my Shakespeare course 32 years later! I still have that book on my bookshelf. No purging is going to get rid of it! Mom was an English Literature major with a MA in social science and education, but I don't have any of her books. But, I degress.................

Twik

« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2013, 03:48:50 PM »
I did my undergraduate in a small university, which was nice, because the staff could be flexible.

I was in a Chemistry class with a grand total of four people in it. When we wrote the final, only 3 showed up. We wondered what had happened to the other person.

After the test, we spotted him in the cafeteria, and rushed up to ask what had happened. I never saw anyone go so white. He gasped, "The test is this afternoon ... right? Please tell me you're joking." Turns out, he'd misread the schedule.

Fortunately, the professor, when he heard the story a few minutes later, kindly let him write it there and then. As he said, "It's not like he pulled this as a stunt hoping that you'd give him all the answers in five minutes."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Lynn2000

« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2013, 03:59:16 PM »
Oh, dear. If it was with your own way of writing, I certainly understand why you got away with this, and the guilt you feel.

Fortunately, I got caught the first two times. One was a kids' book in 6th grade. I just paraphrased each sentence in the article. Mr. D. just gave me an A, nice construction. I felt bad, but did learn about construction - more than I had learned about outlines in the next 7 years of my education!

The second was in college Speech. HATED that class. I was told my presentation was good SHOCK! but it sounded one dimensional, like a magazine article. Yup. "Life Magazine" a couple of years ago. He couldn't identify it, so I got a B. Fine with me.

I do remember using my dad's Works of William Shakespeare book for a reference, also. Daddy was a PE + Industrial Arts major, so you can imagine Shakespeare was not his focus! But, he had written in his book some side notes. I used those in my Shakespeare course 32 years later! I still have that book on my bookshelf. No purging is going to get rid of it! Mom was an English Literature major with a MA in social science and education, but I don't have any of her books. But, I degress.................

On the subject of plagiarism, I do remember being very confused about what was allowed for a long time, because it seemed like every teacher in junior high and high school had different rules. For example, some would be perfectly okay with the student paraphrasing every sentence in another work (although they should mention the work in the bibliography). Some said you had to have a bibliography listing all your sources, but you never had to specifically point out which quote/paraphrase came from which source. The Internet was just becoming a thing at this time, and how to cite from Web sources was extremely confusing and even controversial. In the classes I took--again, different teachers each year--it seemed that the emphasis was much more on APA or MLA or whatever style for the bibliography--where to put your periods and italics and so forth, instead of the deeper implications of what using a source really meant.

Then I got to college, and professors were much more like, "I don't care what style you use, as long as you're consistent, and you document every scrap of information you got from somewhere else." That was a lot more clear to me.
~Lynn2000

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2013, 04:01:47 PM »
Oooh, the exam stories remind me of my own near-miss.  I misread the schedule once, too--I thought I had one English final Tuesday morning and another English final at the same time Wednesday morning.  Turns out the first one was Monday morning and the second one was Tuesday morning.

I showed up Tuesday morning to an empty classroom, and after a minute or two I decided to see if I could find out what was going on.  I left the classroom and started to head toward the department office, and on the way passed the classroom for my other English class--with all my classmates and professor inside.  It clicked at last, and I hurried in--just in time to take the final.  Except that I hadn't studied, because I was going to study that night after taking the other English test. 

And I got an A.   ;D

Fortunately, the first English professor knew me well enough to know I wasn't trying to pull anything when I explained my mistake, and allowed me to take the final the next day.  That finals week taught me to read things very, very well!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Carotte

« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »

I must admit I did something a bit like that. We had to write a fairy-tale like story and illustrate it. Now the illustration wasn't a problem (I ended up in art school) but the writing, not so much, I can write a decent phrase but it will be loaded with errors, and I probably just didn't want to do the assignment. I don't think I copied the phrases, but I did heavily copy the storyline from a book I had gotten as a gift. My teacher got suspicious, thinking about it, there was at least an ogre and something about dismemberment and inside organs - so I was either a twisted kid or had copied, I said I had been influenced by a book but didn't have it anymore.. It never went further and I probably had an ok grade (I didn't copy to get a good grade, just to do it quicker).

lilfox

« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
In college, I had two separate instances of SD by missing an exam.

Freshman year, I had a math final one afternoon and a physics final the next afternoon.  I crammed for the math one, took it, came back and had to rest my brain for a bit.  Then my plan was, cram for the physics exam from dinner time til 1-2 am, wake up and review til lunchtime, with the exam at 1 pm.  Except, I couldn't concentrate and at midnight, I gave up and decided to get to bed early, wake up early, and study hard for 4-5 hours...

Never heard my alarm.  I woke up at noon when my friend came by to get me for lunch.  The only questions I got right were the easy ones at the beginning.  After failing the final, I barely passed the class with my lowest grade ever earned.  If I'd kept that major I would have had to retake the course so I switched out to something I thought I would enjoy a lot more.

Sophomore year, I'm cranking away in courses for my new major.  I blanked on the schedule for a midterm exam in a linguistics class (showed up with 5 minutes left for the exam), but the professor was understanding and let me make up the exam on the spot.  I was prepared and felt I did very well.  Until I got the exam back with a 70/100!  I didn't understand, it looked like I had aced the first page... yep, I had forgotten to turn the page over.  I had really enjoyed that class up til then but regretfully dropped it.

Shalamar

« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2013, 04:39:22 PM »
That reminds me of when I wrote a calculus midterm in university.  The exam was 9 pages long, and each page had "Page 1 of 9, Page 2 of 9 ..." at the bottom.   I was cruising along, answering almost every question and feeling pretty confident - then I got to the last page.  It was completely blank - no "Page 9 of 9", nothing.   Page 8 of 9 was, essentially, the last page.

I discreetly asked the prof what had happened.  He looked dismayed, so I can only assume that the photocopier screwed up.  We all finished the exam in record time and got really good marks.

(I can only assume that the missing 9th page had some really horrible questions.  :) )

Jocelyn

« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2013, 05:00:52 PM »
This student was not right in what they did, but I am quite shocked that they were not given any consideration, or tested for an LD with the circumstances that you have written BEFORE they resorted to cheating.

Yes - doesn't your school have any kind of Disability Services office? This student really needs to be in close contact with them.

At the universities where I've worked, syllabi are REQUIRED to provide information about how to get help if you're having trouble. You can't require a student to go to Disabilities Services if they don't want to, and you can end up under threat of a discrimination lawsuit if you DO urge a student to go, and it turns out that the student is already receiving services (and has chosen not to tell you) because then you're clearly discriminating against students with disabilities. I had to let an advisee flunk out of the university because she was so insulted that anyone would imply that a disability could interfere with her academic success- why, if it did, it was obviously discrimination. Apparently we were supposed to graduate her whether she could do the material or not, because it would be discrimination to flunk her for her not passing tests or submitting readable papers, because she couldn't pass the test or do the papers because of her disability! Going and getting adequate help wasn't an option to her and her family. She HAD to get a degree so she could get a job...they didn't seem to make the connection that if she could not perform the job duties, having a degree wasn't going to ensure job security. No, their plan was to sue the employer for discriminating against her because she had a disability.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2013, 05:08:15 PM »
I had to let an advisee flunk out of the university because she was so insulted that anyone would imply that a disability could interfere with her academic success- why, if it did, it was obviously discrimination.

I just don't understand this attitude!  (On the part of the student; not you!)  Both my nephews are learning disabled.  The oldest one applied for a bursary, geared to LD kids.  He got enough money to buy and outfit a MacBookPro.  He gets 25% more time for any exam he writes and he only takes 4 courses per semester instead of 5.  The younger one will be going to the same university, will apply for the same bursary, and will only take 4 courses at a time.  It just makes sense to get the help you need to make you successful.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2013, 07:13:33 PM »
Had a couple of near misses myself.

Trig/EA - You had to do the problems the teacher's way and only her way. I couldn't make heads of tails of her method and I'm pretty good at math and logic. Mom was a chemist and fantastic at math. She taught me to solve the problems her way. I would write out the teacher's steps - solve the problem on scratch paper with Mom's method and put the answer at the end of the "teacher's step version"  I passed with a B.

Background Between my junior and senior years The Texas legislature met in Special Session in Austin and passed HB 72 that started the Testing mania. It also eliminated senior exempts. Basically if you had an A or B in the course before the final exam and had missed less than X numbers of days you didn't have to take the final. Thing was our graduation was scheduled about a week before the end of school and the district had rented out the district basketball venue to a multitude of other districts that didn't have a similar venue.

Seniors who needed to take a final would normally have taken them a week before graduation and they were 1 hour instead of 3 hours long. So it was decided that all seniors would take 1 hour finals and that they would basically be jokes - because the staff was fed up also.

I was taking computer science/basic programming from an idiot that told us girls we were in the wrong room on the first day that home ec was (location).  It made him furious that I had the highest marks in the class. He "accidently" put a magnet on my floppy disk with a semester's worth of programming for  a project the day before it was due. I had been dealing with bullies for 13 years - and knew how to spot one - had a complete backup at home.

He couldn't be bothered to write me a 1 hour exam for my final so he made me take the 3 hour exam. I finished in 20 minutes. He tried to take off points for a flaw in the paper saying it looked like a period and I should have used better paper. He supplied the paper. I suggested we go to Mr. H my grade level principal to discuss flaws in the paper. He grudgingly "gave" me my 100.

I sat down in front of his desk with the only other girl that didn't drop - and right in front of him gave her all the answers to the Test.  He didn't figure it out. Earlier he didn't figure out that the reason everyone but me got the same 10 lines right on the test and missed everything else was that he had left the program up on the screen and that was the portion visible.

He was fired the next year - and went back to selling computers. I refused to buy from his store.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Jocelyn

« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2013, 10:28:55 PM »
Outdoor Girl,
Yes, it was really sad how much denial this girl had about the need for HER to have realistic expectations for herself, and to adhere to the medications and treatment regime. There was nothing wrong with her...until the house of cards came falling down, and then it was that people were discriminating against her. She took online classes whenever possible...and the quality of her work in online classes was dramatically better than her in-class work. We suspected, but of course couldn't prove, that someone else was doing the work for her. We tried to get her to stop out before her GPA dropped below 2.0, and get her problems under control, but she and her mother threatened to sue us for discrimination if we didn't keep enrolling her. She kept failing the upper division classes until she landed on academic probation, and probably dropped her GPA so low she would never be able to get it back up above 2.0 so she could graduate, even by switching to another major. She refused to consider a major switch, telling our chair that anyone could graduate in our major. You can imagine that went over really well.

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2013, 10:41:25 PM »
So, I apparently kicked off this topic with a post in the Professional Darwinism thread about two graduate students who handed in identical assignments. The professor, who also happens to be the department chair, gave them half credit the first time on the very kind assumption that they did not understand the directions. (They then lost that credit when they tried to change their answers after the fact).

Guess who handed in two identical assignments again?

OK, not completely identical: they had one sentence at the beginning that was different.