News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 07:36:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 754277 times)

GardenGal

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #2445 on: October 19, 2017, 12:17:16 AM »
None of the above seems unreasonable to me. Students often don't read or understand uni processes. I don't think I'd call that Darwinism.

It sounds like Darwinism to me, or at the least very immature behavior, to simply ignore what could be important information regarding your own education.  These are college students or even grad students, not third graders.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2446 on: October 19, 2017, 07:46:54 AM »
Then let him fail.  But that's on the student.   If someone hasn't responded 3 times, I'd assume they weren't interested. But to get annoyed and accuse them of Darwinism when you've prevented it? Yeah. That's why we have students who can't think for themselves.

Graduate students are expected to operate at a slightly more independent level than undergraduate students. If you sign up for a program at my university (different state), you send in your graduate test scores, your transcripts, a resume and CV, and pay the fee. If you are admitted after that, but don't start, you are contacted multiple times, because seats in the program are limited. There are other students who can start if this one does not.

Prevarication does not lend itself to success in graduate school.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #2447 on: October 20, 2017, 07:28:58 AM »
My DH's boss is teaching a senior level course at a well-known university in our area. One of the requirements of the course is physically attending the class so there's a sign in sheet for the students. Boss noticed that for some of the names the handwriting looked very similar, turns out of about the 100 people in the class only about 1/3 had been attending and some of those students had been signing in other students. He was not happy.

Boss sends out an email pointing out that attendance is mandatory & figured into the grade. The outrage was predictable and hysterical. One student accused him of being racist, not realizing that he was a member of a minority group himself (which student would have known had they attended class) while another student couldn't possibly attend class because they were in Europe for the next few weeks :o

As he's an adjunct, Boss can't do much other than pass the information on to the deans, take roll call himself and mark the students who skip appropriately. He says it will be interesting to see the howls of outrage at the end of the semester.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2448 on: October 20, 2017, 07:44:39 AM »
We have a woman in our class that is supposed to be moving to UCF come spring into one of their coveted limited access programs. I say supposed to because she needs to complete this one course this semester at our school, and we haven't seen her in several weeks. Now I suppose she could be attending another class and lab...
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

« Reply #2449 on: October 24, 2017, 08:56:05 AM »
There are certain countries and US states that do not require math courses to be taken as part of a degree. My state does.

It should be enough to explain that two math courses are required for admission to the university, but it is not. Most of the time, the students argue how we should use the same standards as their other school. Sigh.

It's almost always students who want to be an engineering or sciences major and not have to take math.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:12:38 AM by ladyknight1 »
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2450 on: October 24, 2017, 09:28:37 AM »
There are certain countries and US states that do not require math courses to be taken as part of a degree. My state does.

It should be enough to explain that two math courses are required for admission to the university, but it is not. Most of the time, the students argue how we should use the same standards as their other school. Sigh.

It's almost always students who want to be an engineering or sciences major and not have to take math.

In the same vein. There are several students that were accepted into one of our school's limited access programs that are raising heck because Chemistry is required. Their old school didn't require Chemistry for this program. Well, then, go back to your old school then, cause this one requires Chemistry dangit and quite frankly, they ALL should based on the program. That it's not required elsewhere scares the hell out of me.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MrTango

« Reply #2451 on: October 24, 2017, 11:21:55 AM »

In the same vein. There are several students that were accepted into one of our school's limited access programs that are raising heck because Chemistry is required. Their old school didn't require Chemistry for this program. Well, then, go back to your old school then, cause this one requires Chemistry dangit and quite frankly, they ALL should based on the program. That it's not required elsewhere scares the hell out of me.

Just because they *say* their old school doesn't require Chemistry doesn't mean that their old school doesn't actually require it.

ladyknight1

« Reply #2452 on: October 24, 2017, 12:28:05 PM »

Just because they *say* their old school doesn't require Chemistry doesn't mean that their old school doesn't actually require it.

I think we all know that, but just can't call them on it.
-J.R.R Tolkien

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #2453 on: October 24, 2017, 01:17:22 PM »
My DH's boss is teaching a senior level course at a well-known university in our area. One of the requirements of the course is physically attending the class so there's a sign in sheet for the students. Boss noticed that for some of the names the handwriting looked very similar, turns out of about the 100 people in the class only about 1/3 had been attending and some of those students had been signing in other students. He was not happy.

Boss sends out an email pointing out that attendance is mandatory & figured into the grade. The outrage was predictable and hysterical. One student accused him of being racist, not realizing that he was a member of a minority group himself (which student would have known had they attended class) while another student couldn't possibly attend class because they were in Europe for the next few weeks :o

As he's an adjunct, Boss can't do much other than pass the information on to the deans, take roll call himself and mark the students who skip appropriately. He says it will be interesting to see the howls of outrage at the end of the semester.
I'm well out of academia, but isn't that helping another student cheat? Why wouldn't students be disciplined for that?

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #2454 on: October 26, 2017, 05:20:18 PM »

I'm well out of academia, but isn't that helping another student cheat? Why wouldn't students be disciplined for that?

Afraid I don't know, but the attendance portion is only a small part of the grade so probably not.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #2455 on: November 06, 2017, 01:53:19 PM »
Part of my job is to send out announcements and research surveys to the students (most of them from other students).  It is done this way because federal law will not allow me to give out student email addresses without specific and individual written consent from every student.  I am not about to try to get this from over 300 students so it is just easier for me to send the announcements.

So, on Monday, student association rep send me a flyer for a luncheon to be held on Saturday (last Saturday).  He does not specify if it needs to go to all students at all locations, only students at his location, or if faculty are to be included.  I email him and ask just that.  No response.

I send him another email requesting the information on Wednesday.  This time I include the faculty liaison for the student association.  I also state that I cannot send the flyer via email unless I know to whom it is to be sent.  No response.

On Friday I send one last email asking for the information.  No response.

In my inbox today is a message from the student rep asking why no one received the flyer.  My response?  "Please see my emails dated Monday, Wednesday, and Friday".

So far I have had no response.  >:( ::)

DanaJ

« Reply #2456 on: November 08, 2017, 04:55:32 PM »
In my inbox today is a message from the student rep asking why no one received the flyer.  My response?  "Please see my emails dated Monday, Wednesday, and Friday".

We had a vendor get mad at our "bad communication." It turned out that he'd accidentally marked our reps message as "spam" when he didn't immediately recognize the email address, so all subsequent messages were going to his junk mail folder.

It's possible there's a technical reason the student is not seeing the message.

When I went back to school part-time, there was a sudden change from our existing platform to a Microsoft product. I auto-forwarded everything to my office address, so I wouldn't have to check my school mail regularly. That turned out to be a really good thing, because the default settings on the new platform took important announcements from the Registrar's Office and would auto-file them under a new and really-not-obvious folder called "Other".

Due to the auto-forward, I was getting everything sent to my school address in my inbox. But students actually using the school's email platform were missing important announcements because no one knew the "Other" folder existed.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2457 on: November 08, 2017, 06:08:18 PM »

We had a vendor get mad at our "bad communication." It turned out that he'd accidentally marked our reps message as "spam" when he didn't immediately recognize the email address, so all subsequent messages were going to his junk mail folder.

When I went back to school part-time, there was a sudden change from our existing platform to a Microsoft product. I auto-forwarded everything to my office address, so I wouldn't have to check my school mail regularly. That turned out to be a really good thing, because the default settings on the new platform took important announcements from the Registrar's Office and would auto-file them under a new and really-not-obvious folder called "Other".

Due to the auto-forward, I was getting everything sent to my school address in my inbox. But students actually using the school's email platform were missing important announcements because no one knew the "Other" folder existed.

Yep. As one of those students, I raised holy ehell about the "other" folder. I was getting junk to the "focused" folder, but correspondences from my professors were getting dumped to the other folder! I received a survey about the new and improved email and I let loose on the idiocy in that! They at least fixed it so we now get most of our professors emails in the focused folder.  ::)

LadyBe205

« Reply #2458 on: November 08, 2017, 09:49:31 PM »

Yep. As one of those students, I raised holy ehell about the "other" folder. I was getting junk to the "focused" folder, but correspondences from my professors were getting dumped to the other folder! I received a survey about the new and improved email and I let loose on the idiocy in that! They at least fixed it so we now get most of our professors emails in the focused folder.  ::)

I hate the 2 folders too.   >:(

MrTango

« Reply #2459 on: November 09, 2017, 07:37:31 AM »

I hate the 2 folders too.   >:(

When I was in college, I used Outlook Express (because it was free on my computer).  I turned the spam filter off on my school email's web server so that everything would come through to Outlook.  That made it a lot easier for me to customize what emails would come through to my inbox and what emails would be listed as spam.