Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 232948 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #420 on: April 17, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »
Like he thought that would HELP???  Or scare you into a better grade?  For the LOVE of Mike!!!   :o

Since it was anonymous, I guess he just wanted to lick her, and thought she should know.

And that was so nice of him.  Because every teacher wants to be thought of in that way....right?

Just pretend it came from a really really cute puppy.

Or kitten......

That would take an awful LOT of pretending on my part.  I'd be creeped out for a long time after that one!  Bleah......  (wanting that vomit emoticon here)

After thinking about it, thinking of it as a kitten or puppy doesn't take enough of the creepazoid factor off.

The Darwin Factor level is just too high......

To be honest, I was completely creeped out by it. It might be an over-reaction, but I felt violated after receiving that email. Especially since that student used to come to my office almost every week to ask questions, and he would always shut my door and lock it  :o I had to make it a point to be the person to open the door to invite him in, so that I can leave the door open!

I NEVER shut my office door when I have only one student in my office even though our doors have BIG glass screens on the upper half of the door.

I would say not an over-reaction, especially given the door locking thing *shudders*

Having him lock the door behind him (glass panel or not) just increases the creepazoid factor exponentially......urk.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #421 on: April 17, 2013, 09:46:12 AM »
Yea, all the puppy pics in the world can't cure that ICK level.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #422 on: April 17, 2013, 09:47:23 AM »
Wait - a student comes in to talk, and locks the door behind them?

Oh, a gazillion times "No". This is dangerous for the instructor in many ways, including being set up for blackmail ("She was sexually harassing me! Did anyone notice, the door was locked? She didn't want anyone walking in on us!").

I'm not sure why you couldn't just say, "Jerko (or whatever his name is), do not lock the door when you come into my office. See, I'm unlocking it and leaving it open. Sit. Stay."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #423 on: April 18, 2013, 04:37:25 AM »
**snip bits about the "lick" email**

To be honest, I was completely creeped out by it. It might be an over-reaction, but I felt violated after receiving that email. Especially since that student used to come to my office almost every week to ask questions, and he would always shut my door and lock it  :o I had to make it a point to be the person to open the door to invite him in, so that I can leave the door open!

I NEVER shut my office door when I have only one student in my office even though our doors have BIG glass screens on the upper half of the door.

I would say not an over-reaction, especially given the door locking thing *shudders*

Yeah, definitely not an overreaction. When I read the bit about him closing and LOCKING the door, my involuntary response was an audible "Euuuuuoooh!" noise.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Jocelyn

« Reply #424 on: April 20, 2013, 01:16:14 AM »
New Student Darwinist today:
I open a paper that was submitted electronically. The title something analogous to 'Nature and History'... except that my academic discipline is not History. The assigned topic is 'My Academic Discipline As Applied to a Particular Group of People'.
Anyone want to give me odds that this paper was originally prepared for a History professor? (The student is a History major)

katiescarlett

« Reply #425 on: April 20, 2013, 02:25:44 AM »
Here's a good one.  My Existential Literature professor (also my advisor and the chair of the English dept.) recently told me that 3 students in our class did not bother to turn in the first two papers (we have to write 4, paper 3 was due 4/19 by midnight), although they still come to class everyday.  So, 0s on the first two papers, and the four papers are an extremely huge chunk of our grade. 

I mean, really?  This is one of the most upper level English courses, nearly all of us are seniors in there, and all are English majors.  Why in the world would an ENGLISH major not turn in their papers?  That has been the entirety of my classwork this semester, papers.  I've already written 10 this semester, and have to write 4 more in the next week.

Nemesis

« Reply #426 on: April 20, 2013, 06:11:02 AM »
Wait - a student comes in to talk, and locks the door behind them?

Oh, a gazillion times "No". This is dangerous for the instructor in many ways, including being set up for blackmail ("She was sexually harassing me! Did anyone notice, the door was locked? She didn't want anyone walking in on us!").

I'm not sure why you couldn't just say, "Jerko (or whatever his name is), do not lock the door when you come into my office. See, I'm unlocking it and leaving it open. Sit. Stay."

The upper Half of our doors are see-through glass for that reason. Our offices are along a busy corridor. Plus, the "walls" are not made of concrete and bricks, but of plaster and board. This makes it easy to hear raised voices from the next office, but also safeguards us all. In addition, I always walk over to open the door when any student closes it. Of course, the fact that he locked the door EVERY TIME he came in was odd. Especially since I had to walk past him in my tiny office to reopen the door. I resorted to opening the door for him myself (most of the time, students just let themselves in after I gesture for them to enter). And after I received that email, the whole thing just made me go "ICK".

Jocelyn

« Reply #427 on: April 20, 2013, 09:19:25 AM »
It's undoubtedly because I teach in a professional program that shapes my attitude, but I think it's natural to meet with students behind a closed door upon occasion. I counseled clients for years behind a closed door while I was practicing my profession prior to going into academia. At my previous campus, I had the security of having a sidewalk right outside my office window, so anyone walking up to the entrance could glance in and see my office. Here, though, I'm on the 2nd floor, and the office doors are solid. I don't suggest that students close the door, but if they ask if they may, I tell them they can. But if someone touched the lock...I would be on my feet and telling them that that was too far.   There's nothing that goes on in a faculty-student conference that needs a locked door, and anything that needs a locked door shouldn't be going on!

MerryCat

« Reply #428 on: April 20, 2013, 02:28:39 PM »
Yeah, the door locking is really creepy all on it's own. I think it's actually creepier than the note about licking. Something about it crosses the line from business to personal, you know?

Friends locking the door after letting me in? I wouldn't think twice about it. Someone I'm meeting with in a professional capacity locking a the door? My hinky meter starts going off.

Jocelyn

« Reply #429 on: April 20, 2013, 07:06:03 PM »
Yeah, the door locking is really creepy all on it's own. I think it's actually creepier than the note about licking. Something about it crosses the line from business to personal, you know?

Friends locking the door after letting me in? I wouldn't think twice about it. Someone I'm meeting with in a professional capacity locking a the door? My hinky meter starts going off.
I always lock my door after I come into my home- or after I let someone in. Someone commented on it once, and I said that I'm even more concerned about someone breaking in while I'm there, than when I'm not there! Bad enough that they would steal my stuff...but I really don't want to come out of the bathroom and meet someone in the hall!

Nemesis

« Reply #430 on: April 20, 2013, 09:26:29 PM »

I feel I must explain why I never said anything, allowed it and rectified it quietly.

This student comes from an area that recently saw a bloody civil war. His family were quarantined in the war area and had to live there until the war ended. He was lucky to be in this country when the war broke out, thus escaping the firsthand horrors of it. I mistakenly thought that perhaps he felt insecure or afraid i.e. a quirk of his.

That changed when I got the email, though...

TeamBhakta

« Reply #431 on: April 20, 2013, 11:51:27 PM »
I once received an anonymous email from a student who used hotmail. The email basically said "You are so sexy. I want to lick you".

The same email account was used to send anonymous accusatory emails to my dean accusing two other lecturers in my program of racism.

Because of the way the emails were written, we knew who the student was. We couldn't prove it, but we knew. Anyway, the student was already failing the course and had been cautioned for two years on his poor  performance prior to these incidences. He was excluded from our program shortly after that.

I'm getting flashbacks to Jon Lovitz's character from Mom And Dad Save The World

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #432 on: May 29, 2013, 06:14:29 PM »
It's presentation time at my library course, all of us have chosen  topic and an audience to present it to. One students topic was indigenous Australian authors and we were meant to be an audience of 9-12 year olds. She played a clip from an aboriginal band named Yothu Yindi, who were famous in the mid 90s and asked if we remembered them. She also pointed out they olayed at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and if anyone remembered that.

Being a class in their 20s and 30s, of course we remembered. But for the 9-12 year olds we were supposed to be...

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #433 on: May 31, 2013, 11:09:09 AM »
My ex is a middle school (7th grade, so students are about 12yo) teacher and she shared this one with me. The school's grading system is different than the traditional A-F, but if you want to get the highest grade you need to have a 90% overall average and do an extra credit projects. She asks that the kids talk to her before starting any extra credit projects. The other day a student gave her such a project. The student hadn't checked with her in advance. Plus, the student's average was 77%! The average at the interim report (about 4 weeks ago) was 76% so how she thought she was going to get a 90% average to make the project count, we can't tell. By the way, the 90%+project applies to every class across the middle school. It's not like this was some secret thing for my ex's classes only.

And yes, the level of parental whining about her other students has gone up each year. Apparently, she's the "meanest" and "most difficult" teacher any of these kids has ever had. She's not -- expectations are laid out at the beginning of the year and feedback throughout the year is very clear. The kids (or their parents) just choose to not do the work and their grades reflect it.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Jocelyn

« Reply #434 on: May 31, 2013, 06:08:37 PM »
  Apparently, she's the "meanest" and "most difficult" teacher any of these kids has ever had. 
I got a comment on my end of year evals that I was an unfairly hard grader- ' you're not even an English professor and you grade so hard'. The student went on and on about how s/he always gets at least an A-...
Apparently it did not occur to him/her that in other classes other than English, one might be graded on standards other than English composition. Like, how well you explained your understanding of the written material you had been given to discuss in the paper. One can use perfect grammar to create text that demonstrates one did not understand the material.