A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

S/O PD Student Darwinism

<< < (2/272) > >>

jpcher:

--- Quote from: figee on January 31, 2013, 05:20:58 PM ---I was teaching a first year intro course

--- End quote ---

:o

I don't want to say what my mind interpreted this statement to be. But it gave me a good giggle at myself. ::)

(sorry, it's been a long day.)

guihong:
I could submit myself.  Twenty years ago, I went back to college and was required to take a computer programming course in "C".  I could not understand the professor to save my life (he could not speak English very well, let alone boil down "C" into plain directions), nor could I follow his assignments, which he passed out on small slips of paper.  After two or three attempts at extra help from him, and from someone else in the department (who couldn't make out what he wanted, either), I finally began mailing a copy of the slips and my class notes to my brother-who was a computer programmer  ::).  He didn't write the programs for me, but "translated" the notes and the assignments into a form I could follow, with much clearer descriptions.  I passed the class.

Nikko-chan:

--- Quote from: guihong on January 31, 2013, 07:21:19 PM ---I could submit myself.  Twenty years ago, I went back to college and was required to take a computer programming course in "C".  I could not understand the professor to save my life (he could not speak English very well, let alone boil down "C" into plain directions), nor could I follow his assignments, which he passed out on small slips of paper.  After two or three attempts at extra help from him, and from someone else in the department (who couldn't make out what he wanted, either), I finally began mailing a copy of the slips and my class notes to my brother-who was a computer programmer  ::).  He didn't write the programs for me, but "translated" the notes and the assignments into a form I could follow, with much clearer descriptions.  I passed the class.

--- End quote ---

I don't consider that Student Darwinism if all your brother did was explain it to you in a way you could understand, even if it was a written way you could understand.

jedikaiti:
Yea - if he'd done the homework for you, THEN it would be SD. Translating the assignment into something you could make sense of? Nothing a TA couldn't have done for you, assuming they understood any of it.

A.P. Wulfric:
I used to assign a project that involved the traits of culture. Students were to create a poster including images from the 8 traits (either their own or from magazines, etc.)  There were other components as well.

I had one nameless poster and 3 students with no grade.  Now, it was easy to determine whose poster it was, but I wanted to talk to the 3 kids.

Student A: No, that's not mine. 
Student B: It's mine. Yup. I did that one.  I even used blue paper for the background.
Me: You sure?
Student B: Yup.
Me: And these photographs (glossy, clearly photos) are of your family?
Student B: Yes! Those are my cousins!

Note:  The photographs were of a boy and his family, who were Chinese.   Student B was Hispanic.  Student C happened to be a boy and Chinese. The same boy in the pictures in fact.  Student B thought I was SO mean for not believing her.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version