A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

S/O PD Student Darwinism

<< < (178/293) > >>

ladyknight1:

--- Quote from: Jocelyn on November 24, 2013, 03:23:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: CrazyDaffodilLady on November 22, 2013, 11:00:51 PM ---I was once a working student at a university that required a C average (2.0) and a minimum of 120 credits to graduate.  Students declared a major after two years, but had to be accepted into the major's department.

The department where I worked received an application from a student with an incredible number of credits (300) but a D average (1.0).  [I've rounded the numbers for simplicity, but they are not wildly off.]

To graduate with a 2.0 average, the student would've needed to complete 150 more hours with straight A's, or 300 more hours with a B average.  T

--- End quote ---
The fastest way is to retake those classes he flunked, and pass them this time. For some reason, though, when I tell students this, they are reluctant to take the class over. Despite ample proof that they didn't learn the material the first time.

--- End quote ---

We have a limit of 3 grade forgiveness attempts at my school. In addition, taking a course more than 2 times incurs a fee that is 200% of the tuition for the course.

Giraffe, Esq:

--- Quote from: darling on November 25, 2013, 03:04:19 PM ---{snip}
My rules were simple: If school is in session, you go, unless you are sick. And you had better actually BE sick, or you will have a problem. Yes, there were times when we could have left early for a trip if I would have taken my son out of school early, but to me, it was important that he learn to respect the teachers' time and effort.

Since he started college last fall, he missed one class total (orientation for the university he is transferring to). So much of life and work is showing up, and he has excelled in nearly every class he's taken, because he is there, learning, asking questions. He went from struggling as a high school junior, to tutoring his fellow engineering students in the physics and calc they need to understand their homework. He's constantly engaged with his teachers and professors, and it's to the point where he doesn't want to miss a single opportunity in class.

That is what I was trying to teach him.
{snip}
--- End quote ---

Just so you don't get the wrong impression of me...

In 4 years of college and 3 years of law school, I probably missed under 10 classes total.  And as far as I recall, all of those were (a) other official school activities that overlapped a class or two, (b) actual sickness, or (c) overslept and missed the pass/fail ballet class I was taking for fun that had nothing to do with my degree whatsoever except that I took it through the school because then my scholarship paid for it...

And I was absolutely constantly engaging with my professors and taking advantage of all the learning opportunities, both in and outside of class. 

But I also learned, even as I went to class, that for some courses my learning happened outside that room and that time slot.  I still didn't skip, because often there was a class participation portion of the grade -- or else I was just afraid that the one day I did skip would be the one day something super!duper!important! would happen.  (No, no, I'm not paranoid, where did you get that idea?)

In high school, though?  Yeah, there was a LOT of wasted time in those class periods and I still managed to graduate at the top of my class at a fairly rigorous school despite my probably-more-than-average absences.  (I will say, the more haphazard schedule of college/law school classes was way better for my physical health!  So there was definitely a lesser need to miss for illness there.)

Jocelyn:
Yesterday, in my Intro class, the major project was due.
Guess how many students came to me with explanations of why they could not meet that deadline? All centering around 'I didn't understand how to do the project so I just put it off.' Uh-huh. Because students frequently wake up the day before an assignment (which was made on the first day of class) suddenly knowing how to complete it. OK, so this was 4 out of 28 students.
7 students did not contact me, and did not submit a project.
At least 2 submitted projects that were clearly incomplete. As in, there were big blank portions in the project, as if they had intended to put something in that section, but never got around to it.
And 4 other students just didn't use the assigned format (including not using APA style for the references).

So roughly half the class did not do the project as assigned. The project is worth 30% of their final grade.
Of the 7 who didn't turn in the project, one regularly attends class. She was in class on Monday, even.  That's the one that really boggles my mind.

camlan:
I used to work the evening shift at a university library circulation desk.

I cannot tell you how many students would arrive at the desk after 6 pm, looking for a book that wasn't on the shelves. When I'd try to send them to the Reference Desk to find alternatives, they'd just get mad.

"You don't understand! I have to read *this* book and write a paper on it!"

When I'd ask when the paper was due, to see if I could put a hold on the book for them, they'd tell me it was due the next day.

Or students who had a 10 page research paper due the following day who were starting the research at 7 pm. "I need two books and two magazine articles on topic X. My paper's due tomorrow, so they need to be short. Where can I find them?"

It may have been a rash assumption on my part, but I had the feeling a lot of those kids did not get good grades on those papers or projects.

ladyknight1:
We have been getting loads of calls and emails from students that had no idea they had to apply before starting school! What a concept!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version