Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 214047 times)

mmswm

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #375 on: March 30, 2013, 07:06:31 PM »
Not going to be SD, but super annoying- one of Simkin's students from multiple semesters ago apparently went and whined to another professor in his department about the fact that her grade(again, from a few semesters ago) will apparently keep her from graduating with a 4.0.

So said professor is now leaning on Simkin and his co- teacher from the course to change her grade.

And this is Graduate Level stuff, too. An adult with a career is whinging about not getting a 4.0 cumulative.

Well, I did burst into tears when I realized I was going to blow my 4.0 GPA, though I did it before the class was actually over, and I did it in the professor's office.  It turned out it was a good thing.  This class was a combined Graduate/Sr. Undergraduate course, with slightly different expectations for each level.  The prof had been grading me like I was a grad student, and I was only a Jr. undergrad.  Before it was all worked out, I was sure I was committing SD by crying.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #376 on: April 03, 2013, 10:19:53 PM »
The class I mentioned up the thread a bit now only allows quizzes and homework to be done or submitted after the lecture. It is baffling to me how any student in the class expects to pass without being present for the lectures, which are not available except for being physically in the room. There is no powerpoint or video to watch. No recording or photography is allowed due to the subject matter. There is a quiz every week on the lecture content.

The mid-term essay was based on four of the lectures. We did not know which one of the 8 lectures would be included, and you had to write on the spot during the class time. The median grade was 81, out of 300 students. I earned a 92 because I had attended all the lectures, taken notes, and read the book.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #377 on: April 03, 2013, 11:29:01 PM »
Not only student but professional Darwinism for someone

A Junior was taking a field test of the new STAAR exam. It doesn't count towards his graduation (he is under TAKS the old test the new system only applies to sophmores down).

He wrote a protest on his test including YOLO and  - took a picture and tweeted/posted it.

1. Even in elementary we are supposed to confiscate all phones before the test the desk are supposed to be empty and no bags or purses near them.

2. ACTIVE MONITORING - You can't do anything but stare at students while they test. Someone didn't see him do this.

TEA is going to have a field day with this.

Forgot the link
http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/04/02/4745499/arlington-high-student-tweets.html
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Garden Goblin

« Reply #378 on: April 04, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »
I really hope the kid doesn't get into any more trouble.  He had a perfectly valid point and frankly, his protest was also fairly valid.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #379 on: April 04, 2013, 12:44:27 PM »
Tweeting a photo of an answer sheet is not "valid". It may, in fact, invalidate the entire test for everyone. Particularly, if he had been told not to bring in a cell phone in the first place.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Carotte

« Reply #380 on: April 04, 2013, 12:49:28 PM »
Yeah but the way he did it was absolutely stupid.
Here that would be seen as cheating, and if you cheat during this kind of exam you can be banned from taking any kind of state approved exam for a period of three years (that includes driver permit test) or not being allowed to register in any higher education establishment for a year.
You can protest all you want, but with this kind of rules you better do it wisely.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #381 on: April 04, 2013, 03:24:22 PM »
I really hope the kid doesn't get into any more trouble.  He had a perfectly valid point and frankly, his protest was also fairly valid.

He may have had a point about taking an exam that doesn't "count" for anything for him - but Tweeting the photo was about as smart as sawing a limb off a tree while you're sitting on the side away from the tree trunk......

It demonstrated that he disregarded rules and brought a cell phone in with him that was internet capable & had a camera (violation in almost any testing facility I've been in).

It demonstrated that he didn't THINK about being accused of letting other people cheat off his test or publicizing the questions on at least part of the test by posting that photo on the internet.

So - he looses the internets.....

As to his ability to think logically.....the less said, the better.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

dawbs

« Reply #382 on: April 04, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »
He also demonstrated that the people monitoring were not doing their job.

Seems to be a clear demo that they were wasting the student's time, if the students are expected to take it seriously but the proctors are not.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #383 on: April 04, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
Students have been able to fool even vigilant proctors since the dawn of time.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Lynnv

« Reply #384 on: April 04, 2013, 08:04:29 PM »
Students have been able to fool even vigilant proctors since the dawn of time.

DH says that he guarantees that kids have gotten away with cheating when he has proctored exams like this.  With sometimes upwards of 30 kids (up to 50-60 when he had a larger room), he can't watch every single one of them every single second.  It doesn't mean he doesn't take it seriously. 

It just means that he hasn't developed the mutant power to be able to see everything all at once yet.  And since he doesn't like spiders, he isn't willing to get bitten by a radioactive one just to develop his Spidey-sense.   ;D
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Garden Goblin

« Reply #385 on: April 05, 2013, 12:04:17 AM »
publicizing the questions on at least part of the test by posting that photo on the internet.

I really don't see anything wrong with this, either.  I think more people should be aware of the content of those tests so they have a much more realistic idea of what the end results of the test taking actually means for students.

But I think my bias against standardized tests in general has a lot to do with my feelings on this event.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #386 on: April 05, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
publicizing the questions on at least part of the test by posting that photo on the internet.

I really don't see anything wrong with this, either.  I think more people should be aware of the content of those tests so they have a much more realistic idea of what the end results of the test taking actually means for students.

But I think my bias against standardized tests in general has a lot to do with my feelings on this event.

Being more aware of the content of tests before you take them is also known as "cheating" when it involves actual (and unapproved) pictures of the test!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #387 on: April 05, 2013, 02:15:04 PM »
Also, if he could post a pic, he could be looking up answers, too.

Yea - there's a big difference between, say, pulling a bunch of questions from the test DB and generating a sample test (or more than one) for public perusal and comment, and posting the questions to an actual test online while it is in use. One is inviting public comment and review, the other is cheating.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #388 on: April 05, 2013, 03:06:04 PM »
Was this "picture of a filled-out answer sheet" or "picture of test questions" or "picture of an otherwise blank answer booklet?"  Because that would definitely affect whether I thought this was "cheating" or not.  (It's definitely breaking the rules, if no cameras/phones were allowed, but IMHO breaking the rules and cheating on the test are two overlapping but not identical sets.)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #389 on: April 05, 2013, 03:11:18 PM »
This is a big deal.

At my university and my son's high school, just taking pictures of the blank test booklet are grounds for an academic dishonesty case. If this student ends up getting in trouble for it, it will have to be reported on any college application. I see this kind of thing all the time, and the students with a history of academic misconduct have to go through a committee process to be admitted to the university.