General Etiquette > Life...in general

Protocol (tipping, products, etc.) for a beauty school haircut

(1/4) > >>

Luxie:
I'm getting my hair cut at a beauty school/ training salon next week. (Poor grad students represent!) What is the protocol for tipping - should I, and if so, how much?

Another related question - I'm expecting them to probably offer me some products for sale. I've always been good at buying the ones I genuinely want and refusing the others (when your bank account is too low it's easier to say no), but I'm just curious what *polite* responses others may have to turn down these offers. Whenever I do it it's awkward, and I often end up saying I can't afford it, which just feels dumb, although it does do the job.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited to add: The cut is free.

oceanus:
We have a couple of cosmetology schools here, and I’ve gone and gotten shampoo/cuts a few times.  I’ve always been very pleased with the services.  I give a generous tip because the cost is so low.  For example, last time I got a shampoo/blow dry/cut it was $13 and I paid the cashier the $13 and gave the student a $7 tip.  So I spent $20 - would have spent at least 2x or 3x that at a shop.

Products – I always smile and say “No, thanks”.

SingActDance:
I'd tip around what you would for a regular stylist. With a student, the cut should be pretty low-cost so between $5 and $10 would be appropriate, methinks. They'll probably be required to walk you around and show you the products they used. I usually just say something like, "Oh yes, I really liked [that one item]. I'll probably pick some up next time I'm here. Thanks!"

Luxie:
The cut will actually be free - that's what has me somewhat confused as to how to calculate a tip! It's ordinarily a quite expensive salon, but I'm not sure if I should use the typical haircut price there since this person doesn't actually work there.

LeveeWoman:

--- Quote from: Luxie on January 31, 2013, 06:11:27 PM ---The cut will actually be free - that's what has me somewhat confused as to how to calculate a tip! It's ordinarily a quite expensive salon, but I'm not sure if I should use the typical haircut price there since this person doesn't actually work there.

--- End quote ---

I'd tip what I usually do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version