Author Topic: Protocol (tipping, products, etc.) for a beauty school haircut  (Read 2397 times)

Luxie

Protocol (tipping, products, etc.) for a beauty school haircut
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:01:01 PM »
I'm getting my hair cut at a beauty school/ training salon next week. (Poor grad students represent!) What is the protocol for tipping - should I, and if so, how much?

Another related question - I'm expecting them to probably offer me some products for sale. I've always been good at buying the ones I genuinely want and refusing the others (when your bank account is too low it's easier to say no), but I'm just curious what *polite* responses others may have to turn down these offers. Whenever I do it it's awkward, and I often end up saying I can't afford it, which just feels dumb, although it does do the job.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited to add: The cut is free.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:11:52 PM by Luxie »

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
Re: Protocol (tipping, products, etc.) for a beauty school haircut
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
We have a couple of cosmetology schools here, and I’ve gone and gotten shampoo/cuts a few times.  I’ve always been very pleased with the services.  I give a generous tip because the cost is so low.  For example, last time I got a shampoo/blow dry/cut it was $13 and I paid the cashier the $13 and gave the student a $7 tip.  So I spent $20 - would have spent at least 2x or 3x that at a shop.

Products – I always smile and say “No, thanks”.

SingActDance

• You don't know me, but I'm famous.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 06:09:56 PM »
I'd tip around what you would for a regular stylist. With a student, the cut should be pretty low-cost so between $5 and $10 would be appropriate, methinks. They'll probably be required to walk you around and show you the products they used. I usually just say something like, "Oh yes, I really liked [that one item]. I'll probably pick some up next time I'm here. Thanks!"
Most people look at musical theatre and think "Why are those people singing and dancing in the street?" I'm sort of the opposite. I see a street full of people and think, "Why aren't they?"

Luxie

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 06:11:27 PM »
The cut will actually be free - that's what has me somewhat confused as to how to calculate a tip! It's ordinarily a quite expensive salon, but I'm not sure if I should use the typical haircut price there since this person doesn't actually work there.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 06:12:59 PM »
The cut will actually be free - that's what has me somewhat confused as to how to calculate a tip! It's ordinarily a quite expensive salon, but I'm not sure if I should use the typical haircut price there since this person doesn't actually work there.

I'd tip what I usually do.

SingActDance

• You don't know me, but I'm famous.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 06:14:03 PM »

I don't think that would change my answer. Between $5 and $10, depending on your experience still seems appropriate.
Most people look at musical theatre and think "Why are those people singing and dancing in the street?" I'm sort of the opposite. I see a street full of people and think, "Why aren't they?"

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:45:09 PM »
I tip students the same amount I would tip my regular stylist.  I pay $40 so I tip $5 - it isn't like servers who make less than minimum wage so I figure a little over 10% is good.

When I went to a school, I'd tip them the about the same amount - $5.  But like oceanus, if I could make the total an even amount with at least $5 of that in tip, I'd probably round up to the even amount.

As for the upselling of products, 'I'm not interested, thanks.'  Lather, rinse, repeat.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 06:54:45 PM »
DD#2 is in beauty school. Students are told not to expect tips. Clients do pay for services, but the cost is greatly reduced.

Some of her clients tip minimally ($1-5) many of her clients don't tip at all. She'll come home from school after servicing 5 clients and be happy with the $7 tips that she made.

Then there are the clients who feel that the service was wonderful and tip $20! (She's had quite a few that tipped $10-20 and have been return customers.)

Based on DD#2's experience, and the fact that your cut is free, I say tip what you feel the service deserves (no percentage necessary, just go with your gut.) If you like the cut, are pleased with the service, and will be a return customer? I think you should tip at least something.

Or don't tip at all. Not tipping is not frowned upon.

How's that for a definitive answer? ;)

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 07:22:54 PM »
POD the jpcher! I am a hairstylist and this is what I experienced in school. Tips aren't really expected there, but its nice for a good service.

CluelessBride

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 07:45:18 PM »
I'd call the front desk ahead of time and ask them what the norm is. That way you are prepared (plus you can do it anonymously if you'd like).

Absent that, since the cut is free I'd probably tip around what I would spend on a cheap-o hair cut (the actual cut, not the tip), maybe a little under.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 08:35:50 PM »
I recently tried getting a haircut at a beauty school for the first time, and this particular place didn't allow its students to accept tips. In place of tipping, one had the option of contributing to a scholarship fund instead. I gave around 15% for a $19 cut. I'd suggest calling ahead and asking what is usual or checking out the website if they have one. The place I went had its policy clearly listed on the website.

Also, be prepared for your haircut to take a long time. I'm glad I decided to go to the beauty school and I'll probably go back, but the whole process took about two and a half hours to get 1 inch taken off of my existing style (short, requires almost no styling after cutting). This place includes a couple of complimentary massage/facial sort of things, which takes up some of the time, but most of it was the haircut. First, the student had to make sure she understood exactly what I wanted. Then, she went over the plan with an instructor. Then, she went slowly and carefully, with the instructor checking off after every step of the process and every time she wasn't sure how to proceed. It's a good system; it just takes a long, long time.

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 09:01:08 AM »
As for products being sold to me, I am not an impulse buyer with anything. So, my reply that I use in almost every situation is “I will need to think about it, thanks!” It’s a refusal, but it does allow me to think about the purchase… rarely, but sometimes, I do change my mind.

deadbody

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 09:07:03 AM »
I recently tried getting a haircut at a beauty school for the first time, and this particular place didn't allow its students to accept tips. In place of tipping, one had the option of contributing to a scholarship fund instead. I gave around 15% for a $19 cut. I'd suggest calling ahead and asking what is usual or checking out the website if they have one. The place I went had its policy clearly listed on the website.

Also, be prepared for your haircut to take a long time. I'm glad I decided to go to the beauty school and I'll probably go back, but the whole process took about two and a half hours to get 1 inch taken off of my existing style (short, requires almost no styling after cutting). This place includes a couple of complimentary massage/facial sort of things, which takes up some of the time, but most of it was the haircut. First, the student had to make sure she understood exactly what I wanted. Then, she went over the plan with an instructor. Then, she went slowly and carefully, with the instructor checking off after every step of the process and every time she wasn't sure how to proceed. It's a good system; it just takes a long, long time.

I used to go to the Aveda school in Minneapolis for this, it was great, the massage and stuff was an amazing relaxer.  If you have the time I totally reccomend it.

Kaire

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 10:27:14 AM »
I usually tip a few dollars on the cut, like if it was $7 I give them $3.

The best tip I've found for all stylists now when they want me to buy products is to ask them to write down what they used and I will see how I react to it and go from there.  Some products make my scalp itch something fierce, so I prefer to wait.  I've actually been told "oh that's a good idea!"

Adelaide

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 11:19:47 AM »
I think the tipping's been addressed but as far as the products go, don't say you can't afford it. Your financial affairs are none of their business. Just say not right now, no thanks, or not today. And if they pester say "No, I don't think so." Repeatedly.