General Etiquette > Life...in general

Polite Spine?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Alpacas:

--- Quote from: oceanus on February 01, 2013, 10:11:04 AM ---Honestly, I don’t think anything you say will make a difference.  By that I mean regardless of what you say, you’ll be given an excuse, maybe an apology, and you’ll be known as ‘difficult’ and ‘impatient’.  Or they will check and come back to tell you it’ll only be a few minutes.  Yeah, right. ::)

In your situation – where waiting beyond a few minutes creates a problem for me – what I’ve done is go up to the check-in desk or whatever and said “Apparently X is running behind schedule.  I have to leave.”  Then reschedule, or find another provider and don’t go back.

--- End quote ---

Not always. Sometimes telling them (or the Doctor responsible) about this, will help.  (Story #1 in my first Post on this forum: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=113957.msg2672919#msg2672919 )

oceanus:

--- Quote ---Not always. Sometimes telling them (or the Doctor responsible) about this, will help.
--- End quote ---

Maybe sometimes, but usually not and certainly not always.

Lynn2000:
If you took the first appointment slot, at 9am, how could they be finishing up with someone else before you? Not doubting you, just saying that strikes me as an odd excuse to give--not very credible.

Although they should make every effort to keep the appointments going on time, I personally never set my schedule such that I need to be in and out quickly. There's just too much potential for delays, I think. I always think to myself, "Well, I want them to take their time with me, so I can't blame them for taking their time with others." That is just me, though; I don't blame others for being irritated, letting appointments routinely run late is unprofessional, and not everyone has a flexible schedule.

TootsNYC:

--- Quote from: oceanus on February 01, 2013, 10:20:39 AM ---
--- Quote ---Not always. Sometimes telling them (or the Doctor responsible) about this, will help.
--- End quote ---

Maybe sometimes, but usually not and certainly not always.

--- End quote ---

I remember once I waited half a day for a surgical follow-up--so did a whole bunch of other people worse off than me. it was awful--we were scared to leave to get lunch. The woman handling the appointments wasn't helpful at ALL. I offered to come back on another day; she said no, just stay.

When I finally got into the doctor's office, I told him about the troubles. And he said, "You have to talk to her about that." I said, "We did--it wasn't helpful. Aren't you her boss? I expect you to care about how your patients are treated by the support staff at this medical center."

Morticia:

--- Quote from: Lynn2000 on February 01, 2013, 10:57:10 AM ---If you took the first appointment slot, at 9am, how could they be finishing up with someone else before you? Not doubting you, just saying that strikes me as an odd excuse to give--not very credible.

Although they should make every effort to keep the appointments going on time, I personally never set my schedule such that I need to be in and out quickly. There's just too much potential for delays, I think. I always think to myself, "Well, I want them to take their time with me, so I can't blame them for taking their time with others." That is just me, though; I don't blame others for being irritated, letting appointments routinely run late is unprofessional, and not everyone has a flexible schedule.

--- End quote ---

I gather they double booked the slot, and took the other appointment first because mine would take longer.  I have decided to solve the problem (they don't seem to believe this kind of tardiness is a problem), by booking the rest of my appointments for this run after work. I'll bring something to read, and expect to wait. Sadly, going somewhere else isn't an option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version