Author Topic: What Is the Best Compliment You Received from a Stranger  (Read 4042 times)

BeagleMommy

What Is the Best Compliment You Received from a Stranger
« on: February 01, 2013, 03:49:52 PM »
I was thinking of this after I was shopping at a local greeting card store on my lunch break.  As I was paying for my purchases I handed my rewards card to the cashier, a young man in his twenties.  He read my name out lound "Jacqueline?".  I confirmed my name and he said "Your name suites you.  You dress like a French woman."

I think I floated on air all day from that one small compliment.

Anyone else like to share?

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Re: What Is the Best Compliment You Received from a Stranger
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 03:56:08 PM »
I take my 4 year old DD out on a date once per week, usually for supper and some other fun activity.  We always pray before meals.  I was out with DD and my BF for supper at Cheesecake Factory and we all held hands (like a circle) and said our prayers, which were more elaborate than the typical "grace" because we added in special prayers related to events and sicknesses of loved ones that were happening and each had our say before "Amen."  We weren't loud or anything, but I suppose it might seem odd to hold hands like that at supper.  The server and the adjacent table said it was the sweetest thing they had seen in a long time and thank you for inspiring them to give thanks and that I am a good Mama.  It made my week!

blueyzca01

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 04:54:20 PM »
I call this one my best because its so unusual.

Im in line at the gas station, and the guy in front of me is TALL.  He turns around toward me and says something in conversation, I cant remember what.  I say, Im just curious, are you 67in?  He replies, Yeah, thats awesome, few people guess it off that bat like that.

About a minute later, he turns back toward me, looks down at my sandal-clad and toe-polished feet and says, Wow, nice feet.  (pause) You single?
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 05:05:21 PM »
I guess the best compliments I receive from strangers have to do with my kids.

Like when they were younger and we would dine in restaurants, people would often stop by our table and tell me that they were amazed as to how well behaved the DDs were.

Comments like that give me a warm fuzzy feeling like I must be doing something right!

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 05:13:43 PM »
Mine was a couple of years ago, I was at the mall, and a lady approached me to tell me she'd seen me on the bus before, and wanted to compliment me on my weight loss, it was so unexpected (the compliment), and made my day! Also that day, a complete stranger was handing out roses to random women, and I was one of them!

TylerBelle

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:18:26 PM »
I take my 4 year old DD out on a date once per week, usually for supper and some other fun activity.  We always pray before meals.  I was out with DD and my BF for supper at Cheesecake Factory and we all held hands (like a circle) and said our prayers, which were more elaborate than the typical "grace" because we added in special prayers related to events and sicknesses of loved ones that were happening and each had our say before "Amen."  We weren't loud or anything, but I suppose it might seem odd to hold hands like that at supper.  The server and the adjacent table said it was the sweetest thing they had seen in a long time and thank you for inspiring them to give thanks and that I am a good Mama.  It made my week!

Oh that's wonderful! I had a sort of similar thing happen. Several years ago, I was in a Bible study at my church and we went out to eat afterward. During the meal, a couple of the servers came up to our table and told us how glad they were to see us having said grace. For they had been witnessing to a fellow server, and it was inspiring for them and the one they were sharing with to see others showing their faith. ;D
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:23:08 PM »
Perhaps not the "best" but the funniest - I was shopping for sandals and the guy helping me told me I had perfect feet for Birkenstocks.  I am sure it was meant as a compliment but I found it hilarious because I am pretty sure the other person who has perfect feet for Birkenstocks - Fred Flintstone.

KB

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:34:17 PM »
I was in HMV in London a few weeks ago. As I was leaving, a young man stopped me and said I had given him the loveliest smile and would I go out for a coffee with him. If I hadn't been running late for the theatre, I would definitely have done it!

Jones

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 08:30:21 PM »
I get a lot of women complimenting me on my shoes. Not the same pair, but a variety.

Probably my best, though, was the long-haul truck driver who came in and out of my office, shuffled a little, made some small talk and left. Five minutes later the office phone rang, and he asked if I was seeing anyone. He wasn't the first random man to ask me out in my place of business, but I felt very sad to turn him down after he'd obviously worked hard to gather up that courage. I hope he found a better way meet women.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:50:25 PM »
Perhaps not the "best" but the funniest - I was shopping for sandals and the guy helping me told me I had perfect feet for Birkenstocks.  I am sure it was meant as a compliment but I found it hilarious because I am pretty sure the other person who has perfect feet for Birkenstocks - Fred Flintstone.

Hahaha - I always joke about my "flintstone feet" too funny!

The last time I rented a  car; I rent from Enterprise a lot when i take road trips as my car is old and cantankerous. The staff generally are kids fairly recently out of college, so technically young enough to be my kids.  The woman helping me told me I had the prettiest green eyes! Since i've goten fluffier over the last few years, and am not thrilled with my appearance, that made my day

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 08:53:46 PM »
A few years ago, when a sort of mint green color was in style, I walked out of the dressing room at a clothing store in a mint green top I was trying on. I'm used to salespeople saying generic nice things, but the saleswoman stopped in her tracks, went *blinkblink*, and just said "You should wear that color every day." Obviously, she was there to sell things, but her tone was genuine. And if it was just sales, it worked--I bought two different tops in that color that day.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 09:23:40 PM »
I like when people compliment my smile, which happens often at work. I try and stay positive, and it does get noticed. The one that stands out the most, though, was a couple summers ago, I was ringing out a youngish black man. I was working like crazy, when I caught him out of the corner of my eye trying to make eye contact. When I looked up he said you have the same kind of eyes as I do, they're yellow.

I laughed, and said, they are normally green, but when I get excited or angry, they do turn yellow, where his were more on the amber side. I told him thanks, and that I did like the color of his as well.

I confirmed with a friend after he left that they were in fact yellow.

I also like when a customer remembers my name, even though I don't have my badge on.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 09:25:40 PM »
"Wow, you have really long toes."

Not sure if it was a compliment or not, but since it was from the cute guy I had a crush on when I was in high school I chose to interpret it as such  ;D

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »
The funniest I had was from a new (and young) GYN when I was around 23 and had no interest in kids. But he spent a significant time complimenting on my text book anatomy and a pelvis that was develped perfectly for childbirth. Yeah, so your saying I have wide hips.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 09:37:59 PM »
I guess the best compliments I receive from strangers have to do with my kids.

Like when they were younger and we would dine in restaurants, people would often stop by our table and tell me that they were amazed as to how well behaved the DDs were.

Comments like that give me a warm fuzzy feeling like I must be doing something right!

DH and I had a retired teacher come up to us when we were in a Ruby Tuesday with our first 2 and told us our boys were the best behaved children she'd seen in a restaurant for a while. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata