Author Topic: What Is the Best Compliment You Received from a Stranger  (Read 3842 times)

MissRose

Re: What Is the Best Compliment You Received from a Stranger
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2013, 10:47:57 AM »
I was in the lift of a store when a lady said to me:

"I love your hair color, who did that for you?"

I said "my sister did it for me"

The lady said: "Is she a professional?"

I said: "No she is not, she bought the stuff from the beauty supply store and did the work for me"

The lady was speechless, and I still think my sister has missed her life long profession of working with beauty stuff like hair or makeup IMO.

mmswm

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2013, 11:04:54 AM »
I'd just gotten into a huge fight with my parents (back in the "bad" days). In order to help calm myself, I packed my kids up and took them to the zoo. I figured a day out would be good for all of us.  We were at the chimpanzee habitat, and this zoo employee on a golf cart pulls up to the other side and starts throwing food at them.  Of course, they all ran to where the food was.  The boys and I moved to the other side of the golf cart.  There was a man on the back of the golf cart and several kids beside it.  The man smiled and complimented my kids, telling me that I had "fine looking boys", and complimenting their behavior.  The man and I exchanged pleasantries for about 2 minutes.  Then the paparazzi showed up. 

This is when I realized I was talking to Shaquille O'Neal. The story is memorable for two reasons.  First, my boys were complimented.  Second, how on earth do you hold a 2 minute conversation with a 7 foot celebrity and fail to realize who he is???
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Bethczar

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »
DH & I were in the elevator at our apartment building when another (female) tenant got on. She said to me "I love your hair color. It's like you've been kissed by the sun!" For some reason, we thought it was hysterical, and it became a running joke between DH & I. It was a sweet compliment, though.  :)

There was also one summer when four different people said I reminded them of Nicole Kidman. Yes, I'm tall & strawberry blond, but nearly as thin & lovely as she is. I appreciate the comparisons though!

Reika

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
This is when I realized I was talking to Shaquille O'Neal. The story is memorable for two reasons.  First, my boys were complimented.  Second, how on earth do you hold a 2 minute conversation with a 7 foot celebrity and fail to realize who he is???

And he was probably grateful to be able to have a normal conversation with someone. :)

steelstress

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2013, 01:25:03 PM »
This happened to me about 30 years ago... I was about 21, I think.  I was at the supermarket in the meat department.  That day, I wore my favorite dress.  It was a dark paisley print on black color blocks on a rose background.  The skirt part was actually several pieces sewn together with the points of corners as the hemline, giving a layered, flowing, flouncy look, which came down below my knees.  It had 3/4 sleeves and a black belt, which really showed off my figure.  I paired the dress with high-heeled black boots.

As I was walking along the meat case, a guy was walking toward me and stopped me.  He said, "excuse me, but I just have to tell you that that dress is really beautiful and you look beautiful in it.  Just beautiful!  I just had to tell you."  The way his eyes opened up told me he really liked the dress.  I was so surprised, I thanked him and told me just made my whole day!  I never forgot that, and I still enjoy telling the story.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2013, 02:10:18 PM »
While I was visiting San Francisco, I spent a lot of time walking around the city. One day, I was down by the Embarcadero, wearing a jacket and waist cape that I had made. I had a lady come up to me saying how much she loved it, and asking where I had gotten it. When I explained that I had made it, she asked "Oh are you starting a new clothing line?"

Considering I'm actively contemplating studying fashion design, that was quite a compliment!

Ygraine

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2013, 09:29:58 AM »
My BFF and I were visiting London, and attended an Evensong service at Westminister Abbey.  At the end of the service, the gentleman sitting in front of us turned around and said, in that wonderful British accent, "You two have some of the loveliest voices I've ever heard".   We now claim to have sung at Westminister Abbey to rave reviews.   :D

Shalamar

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2013, 11:14:28 AM »
I work in a building that's fairly close to the rougher part of downtown.  As I was walking back from lunch one day, I passed a fellow who had obviously had one or two too many beers recently.  He was muttering angrily to himself, pausing only to glance at me and say abruptly "You have nice legs."   :)

auntmeegs

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2013, 12:45:51 PM »
One time I was at a bridal shower for someone I did not know all the at well (so I didn’t know very many of the other guests either) and one woman said to me, “Wow, you look like you just stepped off the set of Sex and the City.” 
Another time my friend's daughter (who is in her early 20’s) told me I looked like one of the girls in the Free People catalog (for those not familiar with this  brand the clothes etc are gorgeous with a very bo-ho chic vibe)
Since I am kind of a fashionista, both of these made me feel really awesome! 

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2013, 01:27:55 PM »
A few weeks ago, my daughter decided to wear her superhero cape while we ran errands at the mall.  (She looked like your basic four-year-old girl:  pink dress, furry boots, bows in her hair, and purple and pink cape.)  On our way out of the mall, a young woman saw my daughter and said, "She’s so cute!  And you’re a great mom for letting her express herself!"  (I felt great -- especially considering that when my husband saw us after we came back, his first comment was, "You let her wear that outside?")

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2013, 01:40:44 PM »
I've gotten compliments on how well the piratebabe behaves when he's out in public, which he does.   Though since he's 15 months, I don't know if I can really claim any part in him being so well behaved as I think at this age it's just natural.  He's just a very easy going and happy toddler.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2013, 01:47:04 PM »
A few weeks ago, my daughter decided to wear her superhero cape while we ran errands at the mall.  (She looked like your basic four-year-old girl:  pink dress, furry boots, bows in her hair, and purple and pink cape.)  On our way out of the mall, a young woman saw my daughter and said, "She’s so cute!  And you’re a great mom for letting her express herself!"  (I felt great -- especially considering that when my husband saw us after we came back, his first comment was, "You let her wear that outside?")

That (your DH's comment) would never work with me because I'd be disappointed I hadn't worn mine!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »
This was an interesting one. It was left on my windshield one day some years ago while I was shopping.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/jenniferjo/Car_note_101405.jpg

Of course, it could have been some kind of scam, but I prefer to view it as a compliment. My husband didn't find it nearly as amusing as I did...

As for ones I'm sure about:
- After they thought I was out of earshot, one fellow employee said to another, "I really wish I had her hair."
- Some roughly 30-ish guy whistled at me when I was shopping at Target. I was 47 at the time and didn't know whether to laugh to or run after him and advise him to have his eyes checked.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2013, 02:37:09 PM »

...   Oh, it was just one of those good days when my kids pretended to be angels. They were always great in public and hellions at home.    ...

;D  Your kids sound exactly like mine.  They were always WONDERFUL in public, especially very "grown up" places where people don't expect to see children -- like Orchestra Hall.  We ate in some very nice restaurants and went a lot of places where kids are usually problematic, but not ours.  We often received sincere compliments on their behavior from total strangers.

Our line that covered that was "Yes.  We can take them anywhere with complete confidence that they'll never embarrass us.  Well, anyplace but home!" 

We think the original Jekyll - Hyde story was based on our children.  :-\

Reader

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2013, 04:38:44 PM »
Went out with my friend Anna on Saturday at a local club that was celebrating Bob Marley's birthday.  We hadn't even been there 20 minutes, when a older guy who was a complete stranger to me comes up and says "nice to see you here again and nice to see you dancing again" then walked away.  Never did see him the rest of the night to thank him.