Author Topic: Is this the new thing in grocery shopping?  (Read 6344 times)

sammycat

• Super Hero!
Re: Is this the new thing in grocery shopping?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 10:40:31 PM »
It is Woolies.

Huh. Now that you mention it, the checkout lady at my local Woolworths did seem pretty chatty the other day. I didn't think anything of it, other than to be a bit annoyed at being 'forced' into chit chatting with a stranger when all I wanted to do was get through my transaction as quickly and painlessly as possible.

I hate all this fake and enforced interaction type stuff with complete strangers, especially when I'm trying to do something as annoying as the weekly shopping.  The arm grabbing though is definitely way out line, and whilst I may let it slide once, if it happened again, I'd complain to management. If it's their new policy, they need to be told how wrong it is, and if it's just the cashier's own thing, s/he needs to be made aware that that is definitely not okay.

I'll take notice now to see if this Q&A type thing becomes a bit of trend, and if so, I'll start going across the road to their competitor, Coles!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 11:01:50 PM »
I'd guess it is a new corporate 'trend'.

There were signs at my local grocery store a few weeks ago, admonishing people for not talking to the cashiers or being friendly enough. They have been changed now to something else. I have to wonder how well that worked for them - the cashiers are actually not much for chatting, even if I wanted to.

Are you serious?  This would never fly in NYC.

We have an undeserved rep for being brusque and unfriendly, but would consider this an outrageous waste of our time, which is at a premium.  If this means that it takes 2 minutes longer per customer I'd shop elsewhere.

figee

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 11:05:34 PM »
It hasn't started at my local Woolies yet. I shall watch with interest.

AuntyEm

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 11:25:24 PM »
I notice it when calling customer service numbers for banks, the phone company, etc.  What I would really like is to get a competent person on the other end who can quickly deal with my issue and get me off the phone.  I don't want to have to make chit chat with a stranger who I know could care less about what kind of day I'm having.  I also don't want them to call me Miss Em like I'm their home town neighbor.

Especially maddening are the ones that can't give you any help and then end the conversation with  a cheery "and is there anything else I can do for you today?".

It is such a relief when you get the rare person on the other end that knows what they are doing and is efficient and helpful about doing it.

Iris

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 12:09:37 AM »
fwiw I just got back from my local Woolies and there was no sign of annoying chat, which I was on the look out for. Especially since I was buying back to school stuff, which would be an 'in', I guess. Let's hope it's just a regional aberration.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Lauds

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 12:22:12 AM »
fwiw I just got back from my local Woolies and there was no sign of annoying chat, which I was on the look out for. Especially since I was buying back to school stuff, which would be an 'in', I guess. Let's hope it's just a regional aberration.

I'm hoping they don't start exporting it - I shop at their kiwi chain!

I don't mind the small talk type questions and comments - how's your day going? Weather talk - but conversations like that would make me really uncomfortable.

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 03:29:29 AM »
Okay, I know I said wasn't going to shop there again but I just did my shopping and Coles didn't have one item that I needed. I ducked into Woolies to get it as they are in the same centre.  The same thing happened (no touching but chatting away).  I was only buying one item and had all of my cold stuff in the car so I was anxious to get out (it is hot, hot, hot here at the moment).  I definitely wasn't giving out "chat to me" vibes. 

This was the same store as my second visit in the OP.

Grrrrrrr

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 07:26:38 AM »
In Mom and Pop places there's often a question or two asking how the family is and such.  When business has been slow, I've even been asked for help with a crossword.

In chain groceries, absolutely not.  Most of the cashiers there are students who couldn't care less about chatting with an old lady like me. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 09:22:46 AM »
Okay, I know I said wasn't going to shop there again but I just did my shopping and Coles didn't have one item that I needed. I ducked into Woolies to get it as they are in the same centre.  The same thing happened (no touching but chatting away).  I was only buying one item and had all of my cold stuff in the car so I was anxious to get out (it is hot, hot, hot here at the moment).  I definitely wasn't giving out "chat to me" vibes. 

This was the same store as my second visit in the OP.

Grrrrrrr

When I lived in Perth I used to shop often at the Farmers Jack in Jolimont and I rember they were real chatty, but I never experienced it at Woolies or Coles.

At Krogers a few years ago I realized I could go in to buy a few items, use self checkout and leave without ever engaging with any employee.  Recently, I've noticed I can't walk past an employee without them greeting me and asking if I need any assistance. I'm ok with it because they aren't intrusive, just usually greeting as they walk past or I pass them.  The cashiers and baggers don't seem anymore chatty,

audhs

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »
I hate forced chit chat too. I'd definitely find some where else to shop if my local store started doing that.

As for the people who mentioned staff saying hi when you walk past., it's  theft prevention. when I worked retail we were told to greet every customer because people are less likely to steal if they know some has seen them enter the store.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 10:13:07 AM »
OP, maybe you should go the opposite way.  Talk them to death.  Tell them the story of your life from conception to the parking lot of Woolies.  explain your need for more fiber in your diet. If you cuold somehow get all the other customers to do the same I bet the policy would be discarded pretty darn quick.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »
I hate forced chit chat too. I'd definitely find some where else to shop if my local store started doing that.

As for the people who mentioned staff saying hi when you walk past., it's  theft prevention. when I worked retail we were told to greet every customer because people are less likely to steal if they know some has seen them enter the store.

Store detectives are often camouglaged and dressed crappy in raggedy clothes - and they don't say "Hi".

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 10:59:24 AM »
Store detectives are not the only people who are responsible for loss prevention.  Regular staff are as well.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 11:02:14 AM »

Store detectives are often camouglaged and dressed crappy in raggedy clothes - and they don't say "Hi".

Why should they? They're undercover.

As for the cashiers at WestAussieGirl's store, I'd be irked if a cashier tried to force conversation on me if I had a headache or  my sinuses were bugging me or if I were just not in the mood to chat. I'd be less irked, but still wanting the transaction to go through quickly, if I felt fine.

Zizi-K

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 11:17:02 AM »
I live in Michigan, and the only place I've ever encountered the overly-friendly and inquisitive cashier was at Trader Joe's. I think they are trained to do it. It's kind of awkward, though, because sometimes they'll ask, "Do you have any plans this weekend?" and I have to mumble..."No....not really...." and rack my brain to think of something interesting. And then on the off chance that i DO have something interesting, then that's the day they won't ask!

I also vote for conversation that comes naturally, and quiet otherwise!