Author Topic: Is this the new thing in grocery shopping?  (Read 5687 times)

Amara

Re: Is this the new thing in grocery shopping?
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2013, 09:56:56 PM »
I don't think TJs has a policy about this. They just tend to hire outgoing people. I've had some chat and occasionally comment about something I buy (tonight was the Salsa Especial and the checkout guy and discovered that not only did we like it a lot but we both liked adding plenty of fresh cilantro and raw garlic to ours). Other times, I get just the polite greeting. Almost all the time I give back what I get; only rarely am I not in the mood for an interaction and just kind of mumble an answer. And when I have the cashier always seems to respect that.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 10:53:13 PM »
I haven't encountered this at my local Woolies, but I'll certainly keep an ear out!

AtraBecca

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2013, 11:02:59 PM »
Sounds like a brilliant management idea that's going to backfire spectacularly. I live in Canada, I've never experienced that and would never want to. XD I'd do what you've done and go somewhere else. When I go grocery shopping, I just want my stuff scanned and to get out of the store. My limit for small talk is about "That looks nice! Is it good?" And "Kumquats are great aren't they!"

CakeBeret

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
I would express your displeasure to corporate. I wouldn't say it's a "thing", but it sounds like they're trying to make it happen! Companies come up with some of the most boneheaded ideas to please customers...
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Maude

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2013, 04:43:40 PM »
Not only grocery stores...hairdressers as well.I HATE having to answer personal questions when someone is cutting my hair.

"Where do you live?How many children?How many grandchildren?

I once replied"" ¤'m sorry,I have a headache.I don't feel like talking."

The remaining 30 mins passed in stony silence.

Carpathia

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2013, 06:04:34 PM »
I'm another person who'd just like to get through the transaction and go home. I'm perfectly OK with exchanging a couple of comments on the weather while they're scanning and I'm packing but that's as far as I'll go.

I have also noticed an alarming upswing in the personal questions asked when you ring a company. In this case I get quite angry as chances are that I've already been on hold for some time and I'm paying for a national-rate call. I do not want to chit-chat.

How do you nicely shut down these overly friendly/time-wasting overtures? Not responding in some way to a direct question seems rude even if the asker is not interested in the answer.

Me

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2013, 06:24:49 AM »

What a horrible idea.  I love talking to people but fake friendliness is awful.

When I worked at Coles I loved having conversations with the customers.  I met lovely people, heard great stories and learnt a thing or two.   It all stemmed from being genuinely interested, but I could read the customers pretty well and wouldn't talk my head off to somebody who clearly didn't want to engage in conversation.

I shop at Coles but my sister goes to Woolies.  I'll have to ask her if she's noticed anything.

This reminds me of a former coworker who told me about her experience working in a clothing chain.  In the company manual they were instructed to greet customers by saying things such as, "Oh I love those shoes you have on! I have a pair too!"  Made me think twice about ever shopping there again.   

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2013, 06:47:41 AM »
It is Woolies.

Huh. Now that you mention it, the checkout lady at my local Woolworths did seem pretty chatty the other day. I didn't think anything of it, other than to be a bit annoyed at being 'forced' into chit chatting with a stranger when all I wanted to do was get through my transaction as quickly and painlessly as possible.

I hate all this fake and enforced interaction type stuff with complete strangers, especially when I'm trying to do something as annoying as the weekly shopping.  The arm grabbing though is definitely way out line, and whilst I may let it slide once, if it happened again, I'd complain to management. If it's their new policy, they need to be told how wrong it is, and if it's just the cashier's own thing, s/he needs to be made aware that that is definitely not okay.

I'll take notice now to see if this Q&A type thing becomes a bit of trend, and if so, I'll start going across the road to their competitor, Coles!

Try Coles at Werribee Plaza and get the young man with the curly hair. He is awesome lol!...
 ;D
Stewart/Colbert '16

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »
I haven't seen or heard or experienced such a thing here in the USA.  While some cashiers are friendly, most are busy and just try to get the customer thru.  The exceptions are thoe I have an acquaintance with, and they remember me.  But no questions such as you mentioned.  Just a "How ya been?"  Many ask if I found everything okay.  (If I have trouble finding something, I get help prior to getting in line.)

Publix is our regional grocery chain. They are required to ask if the customer found everything.

OP, I have not experienced that, but many restaurants have a script they want their servers to follow. I am not a big fan of "artificial" conversation.

Girlie

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
When I worked at national-chain grocer here in Georgia, we were once given this awful (and somewhat sexist, IMHO) list of questions that we were supposed to use with our customers.
Some of the suggestions were okay, and well within the realm of what I would consider "normal" convo for a cashier and customer - things like asking about a particular item a customer is buying, letting the customer know if a similar item is on sale for less, the weather.

But then the list went into a list specifically "for women," which included things like asking about a female shopper got her hair done, complimenting on how much we like her clothes/jewelry, etc. We were also instructed to "discuss recipes" (fair enough, but only with female customers?!!) and so on.
As far as I could tell, most, if not all, of my co-workers were smart enough to ignore those instructions.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2013, 02:08:53 PM »
I'm in NE Pennsylvania and I've never seen this at any of my local grocery stores.  I have, however, seen something similar at a chain steak restaurant.

One night when DH and I went there we were seated in a booth.  The waitress came over and sat down next to DH.  She proceeded with "Hi, I'm Cathy.  I'll be taking care of you tonight.  Are you local?".

After she had taken our order and we were served a manager was walking around checking on guests.  I asked about the waitress sitting with us and he said "Oh, that's how we make our guests feel like they're coming to a friend's house instead of a restaurant."  I said "Well, it felt overly familiar and uncomfortable to me".

They don't do that anymore.  I think they had a lot of complaints.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2013, 04:01:59 PM »
I'm in NE Pennsylvania and I've never seen this at any of my local grocery stores.  I have, however, seen something similar at a chain steak restaurant.

One night when DH and I went there we were seated in a booth.  The waitress came over and sat down next to DH.  She proceeded with "Hi, I'm Cathy.  I'll be taking care of you tonight.  Are you local?".

After she had taken our order and we were served a manager was walking around checking on guests.  I asked about the waitress sitting with us and he said "Oh, that's how we make our guests feel like they're coming to a friend's house instead of a restaurant."  I said "Well, it felt overly familiar and uncomfortable to me".

That kind of goes out the window when they bring you the check.

I wouldn't like the forced chit chat either ľand I live in a Midwestern small town, one of the friendliest places on Earth. 

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2013, 11:24:12 PM »
Publix is our regional grocery chain. They are required to ask if the customer found everything.

Such is the case with many stores.  However, they should ask before they starting scanning.  Otherwise it can hold things up.
"I was looking for extra virgin olive oil".
"That should be in aisle 5."
"Oh.  I need (brand, size"."
Wait while bagger goes to get it.
"And I didn't see any quarts of milk, just half gallons".
Bagger goes to check.
And so on.

Iris

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2013, 12:58:51 AM »

That kind of goes out the window when they bring you the check.

I wouldn't like the forced chit chat either ľand I live in a Midwestern small town, one of the friendliest places on Earth.

Pffft. That would be the sound of my drink escaping....everywhere.  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2013, 02:02:11 AM »

After she had taken our order and we were served a manager was walking around checking on guests.  I asked about the waitress sitting with us and he said "Oh, that's how we make our guests feel like they're coming to a friend's house instead of a restaurant." I said "Well, it felt overly familiar and uncomfortable to me".

"But I wanted to go to a restaurant. I wouldn't be here otherwise."