Poll

Please see detailed question in the OP.

Yes! If it was an option, I would definitely sign up!
99 (86.8%)
No. My afterwork schedule doesn't allow it.
6 (5.3%)
No, for other reasons (please explain)
9 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Would you do this? . . . Every other Friday off from work.  (Read 3502 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Would you do this? . . . Every other Friday off from work.
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:54:47 PM »
My company has an option where you can work an extra hour a day (9 hours/day instead of 8 ) for two weeks and then get every other Friday off.

Just curious as to what you all would do.

In the past, I would have voted "No. My afterwork schedule doesn't allow it" because, when the DDs were younger there was always something else to do -- chauffeur them to activities, help with homework, serve dinner on time, etc.

I no longer have those "restrictions" but I'm wavering between taking the option or not.

Now? I'd vote "No, for other reasons."

I really like going into work every other Friday where I'm the only one in my particular office that doesn't take this option. So it's a very quiet, peaceful day. I leave the outer (hallway) door closed, keep the lights off (very soothing on the eyes for computer work) and get a whole lot of work done in a leisurely, but extremely productive manner. No interruptions, no "Help me now!" or "This needs to be done ASAP!" requests. In other words, no pressure headaches.

Am I odd for enjoying these solitary work days and not taking advantage of the every other Friday off benefit?

edited to change the  8) icon . . . 8 followed by a close parenthesis does that. :-\
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:00:31 PM by jpcher »

Delia DeLyons

Re: Would you do this? . . . Every other Friday off from work.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 07:03:29 PM »
I'm actually on this schedule at work and love it.  Barely notice the extra hour on 9 hour days, and love having that 3-day weekend every other (sometime 4 with holidays, no leave necessary!) 

I like to use the day off to run errands... Or just revel in being home without the guilt that sometimes comes with a sick or vacation day :-)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:06:28 PM by Delia DeLyons »
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:08:32 PM »
I voted yes but I do t think you are strange.  I often go into work on a Sunday just to get that quiet time.  I get so much more done without the interruptions of a regular day.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »
My schedule doesn't allow for it and I wouldn't do it for other reasons.  Part of the reason my schedule doesn't allow for it is that my husband works four-tens, so he gets home fairly late Monday through Thursday. That means I need to get home at the normal time to start feeding everyone and doing around-the-house chores. On his Fridays off, he runs a bunch of errands in town that I can't do because I'm at work.

Aside from that, working an extra hour every day doesn't appeal to me in part because I've got a two-hour round-trip commute. Adding another hour makes for a very long day.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »
It might not be work, it might be the drive, the cost of gas, etc. driving people to choose the Friday off option.  If I am at work anyway I might as well stay and work the extra hour.  Then every other Friday I don't have to brave icy roads, spend money on gas, add miles to my car.  I can also schedule doctor's appointments and various other things for those days so I don't have to take time off of work.

I know somebody who works longer hours 4 weekdays and one weekend every month so she can be home with her toddler for a weekday (her husband is there the weekends she works).

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:21:31 PM »
I don't think you are strange at all for liking a day to work in peace and quiet.

My workplace has a slightly different program.  We work an extra few minutes every day for 4 weeks and then can book off whatever day we like in the next 4 week period.  The only issue would be making sure there is enough office coverage so then it is first come, first serve if everyone wants the same day off.  But with 14 of us and the minimum number being 3, it is almost never an issue.

It does make it a little difficult for vacation and sick time because we have to claim 1.05 days for each vacation or sick day but that's the only issue.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:29:26 PM »
I voted yes because I love the occasional "Me" day when I can get the husband and kids out the door by 8:30am and have the house to myself until the first one is home at 3:30pm. That said, if I was going to have the office to myself as you described I'd probably do that instead.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:50:07 PM »

I definitely would if only because i am usually at work an extra hour anyway, especially now because i am on a new project and i am super crazy busy and everyone is mad at me and i would love to actually get something out of it (besides tears and curses:P)  I also don't think you are odd for liking the office to yourself at all.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 08:26:50 PM »
I started this schedule in 1994 with the company I worked for then. It was partv of their "green" initiative ti reduce employee commute emissions as well as a employee benefit. I worked 7:30 to5:15 with a 45 min lunch.  In 1998, in took a job with a different company who didn't have that schedule.  I only stayed with them for 18 months, partly because I missed my Friday off.  Been with my current company 13 years working this schedule. I would hate to loose this perk. And the Friday web do work is an 8 hour day.

Eta:  for a number of years I worked the alternates Friday schedule.  Meaning that 70% of the company took the Friday off worked, and I took off them Friday most worked.  I did it to make sure we had management coverage, but also because I liked the quiet of thosec Fridays.  There was never any meetings.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 08:30:49 PM by Hmmmmm »

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »
Have you talked to your supervisor? I would argue that I would love the day off but leaving the office completely unstaffed that Friday might not be a good idea. Suggest taking the next Monday off, instead of Friday.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »
I am envious. My company used to do that, but my job at the time didn't allow for it. And then too many people abused it, so they stopped it altogether. I would love to be able to do that. I work 2 jobs so being able to have an extra day every couple of weeks would mean my weekends could be a lot less crazy.

but that being said, no, I don't think you're strange for not wanting to do it. I know I love it when I'm the only one in my dept in the office, as its so much quieter and I tend to get a lot more done. we are allowed to work from home, and everyone but me does it one day a week. I actually hate it. I find I'm more distracted, and our remote connection has some quirks that make it annoying to do a lot of what I do. I do do it when the weather is bad, and have on occasion done it when I had a lot to do at home, so I could do it at lunch, and right after I signed off.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »
I said no because when I was working always did  a 4/40, which means we either got Monday off or Friday off.  The same day if the week  all the time.  I wouldn't want to have Friday off just every other week...I want it every week!  I LOVED it! 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

catgal

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 10:55:45 PM »
I have every Friday off and love it.  I can make appointments, see friends and clean the house.  This leaves more time with DH on the weekends.  He has now started a job where they can work an extra hour a day and take every other Friday off.  He was working 9 hours a day anyway, and now we have an extra day fortnight together.  His workplace has assigned which teams can take the first Friday off and which take the second. It seems to now be the industry norm in his field of work.
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
Three of my past companies had alternate Fridays off during the summer -- with pay.  Loved it.

P12663

• I can take dragons. Or give them away. Honest.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »
At a place where I used to work you could have Monday or Friday off.  But, only two people could be on the same schedule.  When I showed up, both Mondays and Fridays were full, so I took Wednesday.  I liked it.