Poll

Please see detailed question in the OP.

Yes! If it was an option, I would definitely sign up!
99 (86.8%)
No. My afterwork schedule doesn't allow it.
6 (5.3%)
No, for other reasons (please explain)
9 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Would you do this? . . . Every other Friday off from work.  (Read 3702 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Would you do this? . . . Every other Friday off from work.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:32:08 PM »
I would absolutely do this, but I can understand why not everyone would prefer it. I like working near holidays when everyone else takes off for just that reason. I figure I'll go in when it's quiet and get a lot of work done, then save my time off for times when I really need the break! :)

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 12:05:25 AM »
One of my past employers had the 9-day-fortnight option, meaning that employees who subscribed could have either every other Monday or every other Friday off.  My late Dh worked a Tuesday-Saturday schedule, so of course I jumped at the chance to have every other Monday off.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 12:12:57 AM »
 I might take it but I understand liking the quiet.  I once worked as an engineer what I called the noon to whatever shift, since <50 hour weeks was laughable.  But, I get twice as much done in the evening as in the afternoons. 

Bethczar

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 01:09:31 AM »
I used to work four 10- hour days and have Thursdays off. I loved it, especially because my husband had every other Thursday off, so we could spend a weekday together. (It's so much easier to get things done in the middle of the week!)

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »
You would still have a quiet work day every other week.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 02:50:26 AM »
DH gets to set his schedule (within reason), and he often takes a 2-hour lunch and then stays until 6:30 or 7 PM.  He gets a nap (or time to play with Babybartfast) in the middle of the day, and he gets time to really focus in the evenings after everyone else has left for the day.  I think if we both were working, I would definitely go for this schedule - if only to have one day every two weeks to schedule errands, doctor appointments, etc.  As it is, I'm a SAHM right now so I get to do errands EVERY day  ::)

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 04:08:09 AM »
I did it for years when I was still working.  Loved it.  I loved having a day at home to myself, and I barely noticed the extra minutes added to the preceding 9 working days to 'pay' for it.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 07:13:40 AM »
I used to work a similar schedule - you could accrue flexi-time and take an extra day every two weeks at most. I loved it because it was much easier to get all the tasks round the house and errands run during the week than at weekends when everyone else was also doing them.

kckgirl

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 09:03:36 AM »
At my job, everybody works this schedule. We have eight 9-hour days, one 8-hour day,  and every other Monday off. When a holiday falls on our flex day, the flex day is moved to the preceding Friday. There is a published yearly calendar with all days marked so nobody gets confused (except, of course, those who never look at the calendar).
Maryland

HoneyBee42

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 09:53:55 AM »
I would completely love to do this if it were possible to elect a different day off--for me, Wednesday would be the best day to have off.

Adelaide

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 12:03:40 PM »
I'm torn. On the one hand, the human brain is better able to appreciate/utilize off time if it's a longer amount of time. So while you might not notice working that extra hour, your brain could rest better and would notice the day off. On the other hand, what you've just described sounds heavenly. I get most of my work done in the library when there's no one else around, like when there's a huge party or I go in early. I definitely don't think that's it's weird to enjoy your quiet time at work. :)

Jones

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 02:29:45 PM »
I would do it, as it would make scheduling doctor and dentist appointments without losing work time easier. Also, the local schools get out by noon on Friday, so I can see the appeal for those who have to arrange and pay for babysitting (my husband is the primary care provider).

That said, I think I'd rather have every other Monday off than Friday.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 02:41:12 PM »
I said no, for other reasons, because right now I just canít picture myself doing 9-hour days.

My company has done 4/10s and this scheme during summers past. I always want to say no, but then the idea of having an extra day off sounds really nice, so I do it. Halfway through the summer, Iím totally burnt out. The 9 hour days are definitely beter than the 10 hour days for every Friday off (or in my case, I prefer Monday).

That said, part of the problem is that I appreciate being able to work 9:30-6 on a daily basis. If I add hours, I do so in the morning, and I really donít like waking up any earlier.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
Full days I might. The last place I worked had optional "summer hours" in which people were asked to stay an hour later Monday-Thursday, and then could leave at 1 p.m. Friday (on a usually 9-5 schedule, with an hour for lunch). I tried it for a little while, and realized that most Fridays I was just going home and taking a nap, and it wasn't worth working longer four days in order to not do anything interesting with the afternoon off. (I also noticed that the "summer hours" meant a 36-hour week instead of 35, assuming of course that you didn't need to stay late anyhow--but sometimes people who were taking summer hours had things come up and only got to leave a couple of hours early.)

My boss was willing for us to do it some weeks and not others, as long as we let her know in advance--so I wound up doing those hours 2-3 times a summer, so I could catch an early afternoon train to see my girlfriend in another state without using half a vacation day.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Erich L-ster

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 07:20:56 PM »
2 work weeks = 10 days - 1 friday off = 9 days

9 days x 1 extra hour per day = 9 extra hours

9 hour cost for a free day where a regular day would be 8 hours

They are getting a free hour of work?