Author Topic: Detox diet  (Read 980 times)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
Detox diet
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:15:19 PM »
So - I have a friend that did a detox diet last week and says she feels so much better now.

It was basically a mostly vegetable type of diet, teas, broth, etc...nothing too far out there.

I'm thinking it would be in my best interest to do something along these lines.  My diet since Thanksgiving (yes - 3 months ago) has been atrocious and I have gained about 8=10 pounds!  Just one crappy, sugar loaded food after another.  I'm even having cravings!

SO - I decided that this super bowl celebration is my big send off and tomorrow I'm going to try and go (mpstly) veggies/rice/fruit etc for the next week conbined with lots of water and tea to try and purge out the carb addicted nastiness.

Does anypone have any thoughts or suggestions?  Things you've tried that you liked or hated?  Meal suggestions?  I need to cook most of the vegetables and can't go too overboard on the fruit becasue it aggravates my IBS.

Thanks!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Detox diet
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 02:30:02 PM »
many many years ago i went on "fit for life" which was a lot of fruit and they had a "detox day" every now and then where you had just fruit all day (IIRC). At the time - i loved it. i lost weight, felt wonderful and lost my cravings for unhealthy foods. of coruse the problem is it was a huge pain (fruit, fruit juices, veg juices, salads, etc) and at some point i stopped. when i tried to go back on it a few years ago - it didn't work for me. i don't know why - but all that fruit didn't work for me.

so - i say go for it, listen to your body, and remember what works for one person doesn't always work for another (or, lets' say, for the same person 20 years later ;D )

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CakeBeret

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »
I've had to do a detox a time or two in the past. Many medical sources say that detoxing doesn't have any real medical benefits, but for me, it helped flush my system rather quickly.

I lived on fruit & vegetable juice blends (Bolthouse Farms or Naked juices), fresh or cooked vegetables and fruits, nuts, and water. I allowed olive oil, vinegar, and spices but no dairy or grains.

I lost several pounds quickly. It was a bit too much sugar for me, so if I did it again I would take it easy on the juices and fruits, and focus more on veggies and nuts.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
Ok I'm going to very generic here to not veer into medical advice (this is what I do, I'm a nutritionist).

Plan how long you want to detox for - 3 days, 7 days, 10 days, etc.

If its 3 days, no sweat, pretty much cut out/eat whatever you want.  But if its longer (7+ days) plan it out and cut things out in food groups.  For example (emphasized because this is just a suggestion/sample detox plan, you can amend to your needs/lifestyle, etc) day 1 cut out caffeine, sweeteners, and processed food (processed food is pretty much anything pre-packaged). Day 2 cut out meat & poultry & eggs (and all of day 1 stuff). Day 3 cut out fish and dairy (and all of days 1 & 2 stuff). Day 4 cut out processed grains (wheat products, white rice, oatmeal, grits/polenta, etc) and all of days 1, 2 & 3 stuff. Day 5 cut out nuts and nightshade vegetables as well as previous days stuff.  Maintain this restricted diet for 2-5 days, then slowly, one food group at a time, reintroduce foods.

Do not plan to live long term on a detox diet - if you want to go vegan, etc there are long term dietary needs that need to be addressed.  Do take a few minutes each day to take note of how you feel in a journal or even just on a piece of paper - tired?  Energized?  Headaches? Gassy? Refreshed? How does your skin feel?  Are your bowel movements noticeably different? Are you more/less hungry then usual? Etc.

Obviously if you have anything else going on (diabetes, pregnancy, digestive disease, chronic inflammation, are a minor/still growing, anything, etc) or any concerns speak to a doctor before embarking on a detox.

You might want to ease up on your exercise regimen, if you have one, during your detox. You might also want to add to the detox process something like a steam and/or massage, or yoga.
Some people start their detox days with a shot of 1 tbsp olive oil & 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice (one lemons worth).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:02:38 PM by WillyNilly »

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 11:56:18 PM »
So - I have a friend that did a detox diet last week and says she feels so much better now.

It was basically a mostly vegetable type of diet, teas, broth, etc...nothing too far out there.

I'm thinking it would be in my best interest to do something along these lines.  My diet since Thanksgiving (yes - 3 months ago) has been atrocious and I have gained about 8=10 pounds!  Just one crappy, sugar loaded food after another.  I'm even having cravings!

SO - I decided that this super bowl celebration is my big send off and tomorrow I'm going to try and go (mpstly) veggies/rice/fruit etc for the next week conbined with lots of water and tea to try and purge out the carb addicted nastiness.

Does anypone have any thoughts or suggestions?  Things you've tried that you liked or hated?  Meal suggestions?  I need to cook most of the vegetables and can't go too overboard on the fruit becasue it aggravates my IBS.

Thanks!
I don't know about a detox diet, or what works for someone with IBS, you really should talk with your doctor about it, though, as others have said, so it is safe for you. 
For myself, I like to add garlic and ginger to things to change the flavor.  Also, dried or fresh basil and dill.  I find added herbs and spices works for me in creating interest.   
I had this much longer but it was a chore to read and could be put into a nutshell.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 12:14:48 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

snowdragon

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:59:12 PM »
I will repeat a PP's advice

CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR FIRST

Then go to Spark People and search their recipes, they have tons for just about any need

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 12:03:27 AM »
I will repeat a PP's advice

CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR FIRST

Then go to Spark People and search their recipes, they have tons for just about any need
Excellent advise.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

joraemi

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 11:24:21 AM »
Hi all!

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

I am definitely not a radical detoxer by any stretch of the imagination. I have far too little self discipline and willpower for that!   ;D

I am eating more veggies and fruits while cutting out sugar and so on to try and break this nasty cycle of sugar and carb loading I seem to have going on. I'm adding in teas and such for antioxidants.  The doc has given thumbs up.  ;)

Day 1 - 5 hours in and nothing bad has happened.  lol

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 12:06:07 PM »
Hi all!

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

I am definitely not a radical detoxer by any stretch of the imagination. I have far too little self discipline and willpower for that!   ;D

I am eating more veggies and fruits while cutting out sugar and so on to try and break this nasty cycle of sugar and carb loading I seem to have going on. I'm adding in teas and such for antioxidants.  The doc has given thumbs up.  ;)

Day 1 - 5 hours in and nothing bad has happened.  lol

There is an old saying 'if you are hungry, eat an apple.  If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't hungry.'
Now apples are full of sugar (a carb) but I doubt that's what you mean by sugar and carb loading  :D and they are really good for the average person - lots of fiber and water and nutrients.  And pretty filling.  And they are pretty cheap (at least in the continental US) and last for a pretty long time.  So if you just want to break some bad eating habits, adopting the 'eat an apple' plan into your life as a commitment for say a week or two ("every time I want junk food I'm going to eat an apple first") its a really easy way to break a potato chip and pasta habit (or chocolate & bread habit, or whatever your crave foods are).

(Oranges work well too)

alkira6

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 12:59:36 PM »
Please also be aware of the gastro effects of switching to a high fiber diet after one filled with cards and sugar. Your first couple of days will be ... productive, also maybe a little gassy.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 01:04:27 PM »
Plan a little wiggle room into your schedule during the day. You may be spending much more time in the bathroom while your system adjusts.

joraemi

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 02:45:22 PM »
Plan a little wiggle room into your schedule during the day. You may be spending much more time in the bathroom while your system adjusts.
Please also be aware of the gastro effects of switching to a high fiber diet after one filled with cards and sugar. Your first couple of days will be ... productive, also maybe a little gassy.

ROFL!  Yes - I am fortunate that for the next few days other than the occasional outing I get to stick close to home.  I'm enjoying a bowl of lima beans right now.  I forgot how much I like these little guys!  (The rest of my family hates them so I don't usually make them...but this time the whole package was for me for lunch so it didn't matter!!)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 02:57:29 PM »
lol - make sure to drink a lot. water, that is ;)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

joraemi

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 09:31:31 PM »
*UPDATE*

I had a pretty good first day.  Interestingly enough, I decided to have a little bowl of nuts as a treat at the end of the day. I included some cocoa dusted almonds. After having the nuts, I realized that the sweetness of the almonds didn't appeal to me.

This is definitely a first! :)

alkira6

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 10:13:34 PM »
I forgot to say that your body odor will change over the next few days if you stay heavy on fruits/veggies and light on meat.  I ran into this when my body was started smelling ... off. After some investigation, I realized that I smelled different myself and my body chemistry was different enough to affect the scents applied to my body.